Quick Lime, Slaked Lime & Lye

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Orleander, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

is quicklime better than plain lime or slaked lime?

Is it green? Is that why its called lime?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I notice you've started a new thread.
    "Am I killing my husband".

Columbo would take no time catching you at all.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Quick lime and slaked lime are white.
    Lime is Quick lime occuring as a native mineral (it's rare).
    Lime generecally is the name for inorganic calcium bearing 'materials' that are Oxides, hydroxides and carbonates (generally all three occur together because the Oxide reacts with water to make the hydroxide and carbon dioxide to make the carbonate, and the carbonate and the hydroxide can be reacted to make the hydroxide and the carbonate).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

The source of most quicklime (calcium oxide) and slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) is limestone, commonly called lime. I think the fruit lime has a completely unrelated origin for the name. Limestone is heated to a high temperature in a furnace, resulting in calcium oxide. When you add water to this 'quicklime' it reacts to form slaked lime, releasing a _lot_ of heat. If you drop single drops of water on quicklime, you can actually get little puffs of steam. The term quicklime comes from the old use of quick to mean living or alive, as in 'the quick and the dead'. Slaked is course from 'to slake one's thirst'. Slaked lime is quick lime that is no longer 'thirsty'.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

To respond to natural occurence...

If you have a fire pit and some limestone, you can naturally make quick lime. However, use caution because it can be dangerous. Do your research.