Questions for a neuroscientist

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by MattMVS7, Oct 11, 2016.

1. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

In my worst nightmares, I have experienced radically altered mental states. There is no way to describe these experiences. They are the worst hellish experiences.

I worry that such altered mental states can be experienced during a fully conscious near death experience providing that ndes are fully conscious states. Elements of dreaming can be involved in ndes and I worry that these altered mental states can be one of these elements.

Are these radically altered mental states that we experience in our dreams and nightmares an element only exclusive to dreams and nightmares, or can they also be experienced during a fully conscious nde?

If such mental states cannot be experienced during a fully conscious nde, then what about mental states that are similar? It would be the absolute worst thing for me to be fully conscious and aware of such horrible altered mental states.

But if such mental states cannot be experienced during a fully conscious nde or similar mental states, then I have no reason to worry. But if they can be experienced, then I will remain very worried.

However, in my waking state, I have power against horrible experiences in my life which makes horrible experiences in my waking life nothing more than unpleasant and not all that bad. I don't have this power in my dreaming state which makes any horrible feeling or altered mental state the absolute worst hellish experience in my nightmares.

So I wonder if I will have this complete power against any such horrible feelings or altered mental states in a fully conscious nde or if they will be completely hellish overpowering experiences like they were in my nightmares.

One last thing. I am aware that Steven Novella said that ndes have nothing to do with dreaming. That they are not dreams, but can contain elements of dreaming since some of the neurological processes that are involved in dreaming can be involved during ndes and I worry that those radically altered mental states that I experienced in my horrible nightmares can be one of these elements.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

As a child I had nightmares, usually involving some scary monster. My father advised thinking about a huge friendly monster who was my friend before I fell asleep. I was supposed to think about the friendly monster protecting me. This worked for me.

A friend of mine had similar nightmares & one of his parents advised thinking about friendly bunny rabbits before falling asleep. He had dreams about bunny rabbits.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sounds like a textbook example of something you should take to a psychotherapist. NOT a psychiatrist: they are MDs and can prescribe medications, not to mention have you committed!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.