Question for track/running experts.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Dinosaur, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Many decades ago, 800 meter & 880 yards runners were coached to run the first half of the race a bit faster than the last half.

A runner capable of 1:50 would be advised to run the first half in 55.5 to 56 (possibly 56.5). This seems to make sense since the last 100 to 150 meters/yards can be run as fast as possible. If the fast finish was properly judged, it would not matter that extreme muscle fatigue occurred at the finish.

I recently read that modern runners are advised to run the first half in 54 (or faster) & the last half in 56. Does some poster know the reason for this change in pacing?

The reason could be tactical/psychological due to the staggered start used in modern times. Perhaps a fast first 100 to 150 yeards/meters followed by a slower pace would allow recovery of the stamina & muscle tone loss caused by the fast start.

I assume that for longer races (1500 meters or more) the finishing 300 to 500 meters would be the fastest. For the mile run, the last quarter used to be the fastest & I assume that this is still the correct way to pace that distance.

How did the Metric Mile become 1500 meters instead of 1600 meters?

400 meters is approximately 437.5 yards. Are some tracks designed exclusively for either 400 meters or 440 yards? Are there tracks which can allow either distance to be run by having the finish line to be slightly different from the starting line?

BTW: 200 meter & 220 yeard races used to be run on a straight-a-way, with times slighter faster than those run on a curve. It has been years since I have seen this race on a straight-a-way track.