Question for believers in ID.

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Dinosaur, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Grumpy,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jan.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Grumpy Curmudgeon of Lucidity Valued Senior Member

Jan Ardena

Yes, both are inventions of man's intellect. I have a book with 1800 of them, summarizing their origins and originators, major precepts and beliefs and characteristics of their deity(s). I find none of them have a bit of sense to them but lot's of credulity and...er...imaginative concepts not that different from some forms of fiction(in fact, L. Ron Hubbard, father(inventor)of the Scientologist religion, was a fair SF writer).

Grumpy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Get over it, James. You know the score.

Give my God a chance. Add me to those sites to give people someone to talk to. I believe this about myself, I am a god, so are you.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

kx000,

As far as I can tell, you don't have any of the usually-claimed abilities of a god. And neither do I.

9. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Please correct the name on that quote - that was not me.

EDIT: How can that happen? If it's not a bug in the code, then it's due to user error. I've never noticed this bug in the BB code - so...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Please hurry James, the man is breaking out in boils!

jan.

11. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Not necessarily. It may be a matter of time. There are many different possibilities why we aren't shooting thunder bolts right now. My statement stands, sir.

12. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

James R,

Didn't you read my last post? :shrug:

No you wouldn't.
    You're just saying that because you believe you have the upper-hand.

But all you've done is what you normally do, by-pass anything that doesn't fit
    into your worldview, and carry on with the same old argument, as if you'd never seen anything
    that contradicts it.

jan.

13. Ellis Registered Senior Member

What is the name of the book you mention? It sounds like an interesting read... for when I'm on the throne.

14. Grumpy Curmudgeon of Lucidity Valued Senior Member

Ellis

The Routledge Dictionary of Gods and Goddesses, Devils and Demons

First published in German in 1984 as Lexicon der Götter und Dämonen by Alfred Krämer Verlag, Stuttgart, Germany

This translation first published in 1987 by Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd

This reissue published 2004 by Routledge 11 New Fetter Lane, London EC4P 4EE

Simultaneously published in the USA and Canada by Routledge 29 West 35th Street, New York, NY 10001

"From classical Greek and Roman mythology to the gods of Eastern Europe and
    Mesopotamia; from Nordic giants to Islamic jinns and Egyptian monsters, this classic
    dictionary is packed with descriptions of the figures most worshipped and feared around
    the world and across time. Fully cross-referenced and with over 100 illustrations, it also
    features two handy appendices listing the functions and attributes shared by these
    deities and demons.
    Covering over 1800 of the most important gods and demons from around the world,
    this is the essential resource for anyone interested in comparative religion and the
    mythology of the ancient and contemporary worlds."(from the forward)

It's a little dry, but it is a scholarly work that doesn't try to grind an ax either for or against the beliefs represented. I also have it in pdf. I use the actual book as a door stop, it weights almost the same as a desktop tower.

Thor (Old Saxon thunar: Donar, etymologically cognate with German Donner)
    Germanic god of thunderstorms and of fertility, belonging to the race of the Aesir
    (→As); the son of →Odin and the divine personification of the earth (→ Jörd). He
    drives in a chariot drawn by two goats, and possesses the throwing-hammer
    Mjölnir. In the Edda, he is described as the strongest of all the gods whom he protects,
    along with the human race, against the giants. At Ragnarök, the twilight of
    the gods, he slays the → Midgard-snake, but is himself done to death in the
    moment of victory. It was to Thor that men turned for happiness in marriage,
    and for protection of herds and crops. His sacred tree was the oak (the Donar-oak at
    Geismar, felled by Boniface). The Romans took him to be equivalent to →
    Hercules or → Jupiter, and the fourth day of the week is named after him.

Anywhere you see arrows it means there are entries on those as well. there are also cross referenced attributes in the apendix.

Grumpy

15. Ellis Registered Senior Member