Question for Atheists

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Michael, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I can see myself believing in God later in life, actually. It's such a natural conclusion humans come up with. But, I would be happy in being an atheist. Surely God would too, except for me restricting the conversions to his religion, depending on the religion.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. YinyangDK Registered Senior Member

Question 1.
    Answer: I would not regret having lived my live as an atheist. If beliving in god and worshiping him/her would give me a better status in heaven then I am sure that I would have been happy with the spot I got, because as in life I would try to look at it from a positive point of view.

Question 2.
    Sure....... But then again, there would not be much of a choice... right?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I would kill God so I could be an atheist again.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You'd lie to yourself?

8. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

wouldnt make any difference then if he let you in heaven,,now would it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

if theres beer and fornicating it sure doesnt look like xian heaven!

and
    if you had to worship the Jewish fruitcake and his Evil daddyO ..for eternity no less it sure as hell wouldnt be my cup o tea!!

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

After a long day in the lab, it popped into my mind. Wow, I pounded through a 6 pack and vegged in front of a TV until I passed out on the couch! Then I woke up (I ALWAYS wake up with the Gawd damn sun coming in the windown [which i why my room is pitch black]) anyway, since I wasn't going to go back to sleep I played PS3 for 6 hours

So, how about this new question.

(which kind of reflect on a previous answer)

How would atheists AND theist feel IF we both awoke in an afterlife and there was NO GOD. Then what?

10. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

I don't worry about such matters. I fully expect death to be like before birth.

If however I go to heaven, I would after a while be worried about having an eternity to experience... I don't know how an eternity of anything could be bearable. Perhaps god would have to medicate me to keep me from going insane.

11. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Actually, I was thinking, if you lived even for a couple thousand years the you then would be such a different person from the you now as to pretty much be someone else.

From my point of view: The "ME" or "I" living for eternity is simply not possible as the future "ME" or "I" would be so utterly different as to be a wholly different person.

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I guess it all depends on what we consider "I" and what does it mean when we say: I'm going to live for eternity.

13. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Then the word I has no meaning.
    At which point would 1 be different enough to be a different person?
    Is the different person of "Sam Jones" responsible for what "Sam Jones" did 3 years ago?
    I meant to say earlier I would never worship anyone.

14. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Of course there can be extenuating circumstance for treachery. If Judas's child was dying of a horrible disease and he need the 30 piece of silver to pay for his medicine, that would be an extenuating circumstance. If Brutas stabbed Caesar in the back because he loved the republic and genuinely believed that Caesar was going to destroy it, that's an extenuating circumstance.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

How can you "wake up" if you're dead?

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Precisely my thoughts, however not to be an atheist

I would conveniently "eliminate" God so as to replace Him

With respect of course (Oh please if there is a God forgive me for that!)

17. snake river rufus Registered Senior Member

Doesn't the idea of an afterlife depend on a god?

18. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

19. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Not at all; it depends on the survival of consciousness after death. A god is not necessary for such a thing to happen.

20. snake river rufus Registered Senior Member

But don't most believers in afterlife do so because it's a reward for doing as their god wants them to? With the exception of some eastern beliefs, isn't it the threat of a bad afterlife that coerces believers into obeying the rules made up for any particular belief?

21. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

That has nothing to do with the actual concept of life after life.

22. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Entirely satisfied. A god that let you into heaven while you spent your life as an atheist isn't any of the gods depicted by man. It would be a welcome surprise. At this stage of course I would think most about my girls. If they were in some hell, then I would prefer to be there with them than soaking up the sunshine without them.

Of course - but then sitting in a swimming pool drinking beer can only get you so far. Value of existence demands the ability to do new things. It would, to me at least, get boring once I found out there was nothing to do except sit in the pool drinking beers. (Don't get me wrong, I could do that for a long while).

23. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

great point. I suppose I was imaginging a new "I" that has none, or almost none, of my memories. No childhood memories, no memories of friends, all gone ... that person would be me and wouldn't.. if you know what I mean.