question about disturbing the peace and the first amendment

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by sifreak21, Jan 16, 2014.

1. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKq2zlRvvcM

so not sure about what to think about this. on one hand and the cops are 100% in agreement he can say what ever he wants to say.
    but even if he is under the decibel mark and people are complaining is it not still disturbing the peace?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

me personally if i didnt like what they said id get a boom box put that baby at 1 db under the limit and play some music RIGHT next to em

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Laws against "disturbing the peace" are problematic throughout the USA and the Commonwealth. Whether or not the law has been violated is typically decided by the police officer who is called to protect or restore "the peace."

Since in most jurisdictions breaking this law is a misdemeanor at best and often merely an infraction, punishment is minimal, often not resulting in a criminal record. In many cases all the officer does is halt the peace-breaking activity and send everybody home, without arresting anyone--much less prosecuting them.

So you will have a very hard time if you attempt to gather coherent information about these laws, their enforcement and the definition of the terminology used.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. siledre Registered Senior Member

what I get from the wording is that laws can't be enacted that take away your freedom of speech, it doesn't say you can't be arrested if your speech violates other's rights or incites others to that end as well. say what you want but contemplate the effect.