Quatarra megaproject

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by Xylene, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanodrv7 Registered Senior Member

Actually it wouldn't be a lake. At 600 M3 a minute for 16 years you would have a salt tablet of 500,000.000 M3 sitting in the desert in 16 years.
    If you did it right you could be prodcing high quality food virtually forever.
    Send me an E-mail address I'll show you how it works.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DRZion Theoretical Experimentalist Valued Senior Member

Observing this inland sea become populated would be fascinating for any ecologist. I would suppose if it was done correctly it could generate large tourist revenue - you could build various scuba-diving attractions before the flooding - tombs, pyramids, mazes, all at a fraction of the price it would cost to do so after the flooding. It isn't impossible to build artificial reefs as well as underwater hotels, building these things prior to flooding may be far more economical that building after flooding. Imagine an enormous hotel in this basin that would be partially submerged, accessible both from underwater and above water. Floating islands would dot this lake, much like the straw islands of lake Titicaca, with tourist attractions abound. A surreal tropical paradise.. a true contrast to Dubai's rock heaps.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And since the point was brought up, the water level of this artificial sea could be made lower than that of the mediterranean as to produce electricity. However, such a change in level would also lead to pressure differences which could be used to drive spontaneous osmosis - leading to an enormous freshwater sea (definitely good farming).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

Actually I would argue it would be easier to get some of the structural construction done underwater first as some things will simply weigh less and be easier to maneuver. Instead of cranes one could use a float system or float crane with adjustable air pressure to control lift.

Considering the structure would be flooded it would involve some very interesting building materials and architecture that you probably wouldn’t see on land.

For example a hotel with floating catwalks and isolated floating suits, composed of materials that float. Interestingly enough it would be easier to construct the larger materials under water and the smaller portions of the building out of water.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DRZion Theoretical Experimentalist Valued Senior Member

I'm not so sure about this - it would require a specialized workforce and equipment and perhaps some new architecture. Some parts may be easier to implement dry - for instance structural foundations and all the interior spaces which would otherwise have to be drained and dried. If any mold got in you would have a hard time keeping such a hotel afloat

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The floating catwalks and suites would certainly add to the effect. This could lead to the possibility of 'renting' a room and taking it anywhere on this sea.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  8. nanodrv7 Registered Senior Member

I commented on your Qatarra megaproject some time ago. Frankly I think it is one of the most important projects ever proposed as far as a method of providing a solution to some of the worlds problems . Managing Water for Peace in The Middle East. have you ever looked at the web site? It seems they proposed a tunnel and a large storage. With a flow of 650 m3 / sec. This is equal to the low flow condition of the Nile. By using the sunlight of Egypt and the vacuume of falling water. Almost all of it could be turned into fresh water. Which if used for agriculture would 20 billion kilograms. This would draw billions of kilograms of CO2 out fo the air. This and the Dead Sea project have been known about for a century since Ball and Penk proposed it so it isn't going to happen. So unless you have some political influence, it will just be Willy Leys Engineers Dreams. Sorry to bother you. They won't let me post a web site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.