Qigong and electromagneticism

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by zougirl, Mar 4, 2005.

1. locomotive Tea me o' mighty teapot Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Hmm... I doubt that will be an unbiased source.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. locomotive Tea me o' mighty teapot Registered Senior Member

yeah your right. But some claim to be scientists.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river-wind Valued Senior Member

An interesting site. Looking through the scientific studies section provides some good-looking evidence to support qi and its effects on the body:
    http://www.qigonginstitute.org/html...df?PHPSESSID=e3d9fe5595e21e215899e36d7b79e4c9

and some questionable claims:
    http://www.qigonginstitute.org/html...df?PHPSESSID=e3d9fe5595e21e215899e36d7b79e4c9
    "It is generally assumed that the electrical conductivity measurements provide information about the balance of bioenergy or qi in the body."

"Assumed"? By who? Why is it assumed?
    The data of this second study certainly suggests a change in that which is being measured; whatever it is exactly that this "Ryodoraku" device is measuring is not well defined, however. Without any reason other than assumption to make the connection between these measurements and qi, the conclusion is not backed by the data presented.

Not to mention that the changes recorded are in no way suggestive of a "better balance" of energy, nor of any beneficial health effect of this "balancing". Way too many assumptions are made for this study to be considered good science.

This article, a reprint from the American Journal of Accupuncture was a very interesting read:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  8. Ogmios Must. learn. to. punctuate! Registered Senior Member

I'd just like to note for those it might concern that qi in martial arts (I think) refers to CONTROL of qi. Or control of "life force", a loosely defined term due to peoples lack of knowledge in anatomy (well people left corpses well alone in the first century!). As such great many things, like chopping wood with hands or outgrappling dozens of assiliants is easily understood by one's control over muscles and nervous system without necessarily proving any outside energy.

Most people just send signals all over their body. When they punch, they just send signals into everything between their head and fingers, even the muscles holding them back. But a man skilled in the control of his nervous system activates only the muscles he needs, and with as much power as is required. In addition of using his other muscles (abs, back, feet) and heigt and weight to increase his strike. He uses energies around him (gravity, momentum etc) to strike, or grapple or whatever. Qi in martial arts means more the control of energies in himself and in his surroundings.

Massage makes us more aware of our muscles, and the signals we are receiving and sending. The amount of stuff people ignore in their surroundings is astounding, and just by becoming aware of the signals you receive give incredible power. In a word, massage makes you aware that you WERE stressing some muscles somewhere.

Also, the mind can control, see and understand a lot of stuff without actually using some outside help. The supernatural is just something most people use to deny the fact that they could do that, too ("He's talented, I couldn't do that").

Having said all that, I'll say it's also impossible to prove that something doesn't exist. How can you have proof of something that doesn't exist? And while having no proof might mean something doesn't exist, it might also just mean that I'm stupid and can't see what's right in front of me.

But, if we assume qi is life-energy, and we can't notice it flowing inside our body, we can assume it's not constructed similiarily to, say, matter. Imagine atoms, but built diffrently, or of diffrent type of quarks. It would, then, have no characteristics similiar to constructs of matter (gravity or magnetism). Hence, invisible.

Common belief is however that spiritual matter is kinda shifty, cloudy and ethereal. It would stand to reason it is easier to construct and deconstruct such stuff. And if it shares SOME interaction with physical matter, it would be able to deconstruct spiritual reserves into energy and then use it create, say, magnetic fields. Or anti-gravitonic fields. Maybe. Qi could, then, be transformed into, say, electric currents. But to say qi IS electricity just seem funny to me.

9. LiveInFaith Registered Senior Member

I had had certain martial art training, and experienced the collection of this energy in my palms to break some hard metal bar.

So, Qi is simply energy or power. It comes only from food we ate everyday, and deposited (as potential) in our whole body (blood, flesh, musle, anything). With proper training, we can convert these potential into kinetics.

When we manipulate this energy, it emits, surely needs media, and there will happen conversion of this energy into forms of possibly converted forms; including electricity and/or wave.

This should be able to explain why some trained martial arts, eyes closed/banded, can walk thru some obstacles without touching any of the obstacles. They can feel the back-wave from material, reflecting the energy they emitted.

The energy; It must be coming from food. Our food contains energy from food chain cycles. The main source of energy, is nuclear process happened in the sun. It emits energy continuosly, deposited in the earth (by numerous of conversions) into the food (using chlorophyl, vegetables convert UV into nutrition, we and animals ate vegetables; when we are death we are eaten by plants; some corpses of us / animals retained ages inside the earth converted into mineral / fossil energy).

10. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

You are speaking of ATP, not 'Qi'

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!