Put 300 Billion dollars into Physics...

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Mad Scientist, Nov 4, 2001.

1. tetra Hello Registered Senior Member

I think I am couragous enough to say that we don't need a conventional military. Any country attempting to invade us would have their homeland turned into asphalt before they hit the shores.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Oh, I See Now

Trade one type of violence for another?
    There's a novel idea.

Peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lua Registered Senior Member

first of all, i'm sorry americans, but bush is an idiot. his worries are reduced to military wapons and wars. he thinks we are in a freacking cold war. just look at the stars wars plan that was on e of his first revivals talked about. like the u.s and the world don't have enough weapons (i cant believe he is in the line of the names that can be nominated to the nobel of peace).

second, did you hear that he just interpose two NASA projects about satellites that would go to Pluto and Jupiter? what's up with that?

and third, they would never cime up with something that would divorce us from oil... it would cause an economic caos in the world. and probably some more wars. a lot of stuff could be already invented, but it wasn't or it is hidden because it can crash some countries economies. i mean, don't you see what they do with cigarette companies? can it be at leat against the law?

when there's money involved, it's a bitch.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2002
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Banshee,

There is...
    And it's called Love...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Mad Scientist,

Perhaps we should spend it in Education, helping other countries, or to solve the problem of famine... In 2002 and we still have famine in the world!

That's true...

Originally posted by thecurly1:
    But that's true too. If we had better scientists, mainly more creative, the money spent would be lower. But of course, to buil all those machines like Particle Accelarators, like the Fermi Laboratory, it takes lots of money...

Lua and Mr.G,

Totally agree...

8. anim8er Registered Senior Member

Where to put the money.

Our society is biased against intelligence and creativity. Being smart has never been truely popular. The treatment of "nerds" is a prime example. Why is this so? If you watch the show "The Weakest Link" you will see why. Often, the most intelligent player is voted off because they are the biggest threat in the long term to the other players. People who are smart are a threat to those who are not. The world is seen by many as one of competition.

President Bush, et al are exploiting the American desire to live a life completely devoid of risk. Many want a life that is safe and risk free. Many companies make huge profits exploiting this desire. The military industrial complex, insurance companies and the medical profession exploit these fears.

The terorists are no where near the threat to our security that the Sovie Union was. Perhaps Sadam Hussain (SP) and his desire for weapons of mass distruction is, but I don't think Bin Laden was. I think Bin Laden has done the worst he is capable of. I think there is an underlining motivation for getting Afganistan, Pakistan and India to make nice. There are oil fields in the former Soviet Union that are land-locked. It is politically difficult to exploit these natural resources. Get these countries to act civil to one another and then pipelines can be built arcoss them to get the oil out of the land-locked locations.

I tend to favor the development of particle beam weapons system. In part, the romantic notion of SciFi becoming reality. Any effort in developing technology will benifit in the long run. The more this technology is available to the public sector, the better. Holding back deveopments from the public is bad in my opinion. I wonder what quantum physics and other close to theoretical sciences can to for every-day life. Regardles of how the money is spent, I think practical application should always be kept in mind.

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

anim8er,

And this creates lots of nonsense violence...

Weapons!!!! We don't need more weapons!!!

Yup... and innocent people pays the price...

Pretty much...

Love,
    Nelson