purpose of purpose

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by yumyum, Aug 27, 2002.

1. yumyum The All Knowing.. I think Registered Senior Member

why do us humans allways think there has to be a meaning or a purpose to life and being are we just so inscure that our lives really mean nothing so we search for something thats not there. like god i think we invented him just to make our selves feel better. what do yall think.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

I totally agree with you yumyum. I see it alot in recovery, not many people could get clean and sober if they didnt think they had a higher power. I think we are all so small and insignificant, we use words like "faith" and "higher power" to make us feel better. And if you think of it, every religion has a "afterlife" - its like we cant accept that were going in a hole in the ground. We need to live in castles and float around in the sky. Its quite sad that people are so disillusioned. As long as they dont harm anyone it really doesnt matter. Yet I get sad when I look at someone who is living for "their god" and is so focused on things that will happen after they die - they dont get to really live.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

I guess it's just in our nature to ponder and poke around in things.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. yumyum The All Knowing.. I think Registered Senior Member

its sad pepole beliving in something that cant prove and yet they give there lives away to god instead looking for meaning there if they gave life a try they would find the meaning themsevles which i belive to be whatever makes u happy.

8. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Agreed. Its different for everyone, Im still searching for my meaning

9. fabled_dreamer Registered Member

The purpose of purpose is to find out if there is a purpose, if so what it is if not then to live life however.

I agree that spending your life worshiping god is a waste of a life, as the most probable reason(purpose) of life is to live it.

There is also a probability that god exists and there is an afterlife, so would it be that bad spending 80yrs worshiping god or a religion to get into heaven and live for eternity in bliss?

Also theres a chance that the universe didnt just 'pop' into existance and here we are now.

Can you prove that 'god' doesnt exist, or that there isnt a purpose. Try to keep an open mind. (as i fail to do so too regularly)

10. yumyum The All Knowing.. I think Registered Senior Member

your right i cant prove it ethier way but logic agrees with me.

11. fabled_dreamer Registered Member

Ok, prove logic exists, and its not just another theory thats going to be proven against (however sure fitted the shoe is).

And even if we cannot see a different solution to logic because it evolves us in everyday life and everything we do, and that the simplist solution is often the correct one, doesnt make it any less probable. yes?

12. yumyum The All Knowing.. I think Registered Senior Member

ok proven logic exists good point i cant. yes u make a valid point in which i agree since every thing is a matte of opinion

13. Deena Homicide Registered Senior Member

I'll back up fabled on this. While God and the God-loving are certianly examples of people and of ways people do fail to live life it's only one of the many.

I say disregard the pursuit of whether there is a God or not because I don't think you CAN KNOW. But you know, I'm agnostic.

However, there's SO many un-religious people and people who don't actually practice nor give weight to their religion that STILL don't live life. Nor understand it's purpose.

Take conformity to educational standards. Take living so that you can have possessions. Take power issues so that you must always one up another. All these are severely debilitating to any sort of self-realization.

14. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

I don't see why it has to be a sad thing that there is no "meaning" to life. Look at the big picture, and it's a pretty big one. Can't we just be happy we got to be a part of it? So what if there is no underlying meaning to my life... My life has meaning to me! I am meant to do what I DECIDE to do. The athiest loves himself and his fellow man instead of God. Now if there is no God, which is what I believe, then how could this be a bad thing?

15. Deena Homicide Registered Senior Member

I think that's the point of the post. People strive so hard for a purpose that isn't that direct. It's the beauty of living that's the point.

16. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

Oh, there's a purpose all right ...

TOOL

Seriously, though, what about bringing a smile to someone? Is it better to be good because you think you'll be rewarded in another life? Or is it better to be good because you think it contributes to a good community regardless of the possibility of an afterlife?

Perhaps it doesn't matter which side one chooses since the act of being good is reflected equally regardless.

17. Deena Homicide Registered Senior Member

No, good because you want a reward is entirely selfish and empty. You'll never have the emotions to react. You'll instead have to suspend action until you can "process" what is good.

It's no where near as pure as just wanting to do good. It's not weighted with "What will I get?" and "How many times do I need to be good?"

18. archwriter Registered Senior Member

Deena and Fabled make alot of good points here. However I don't undertand this
    I tend to think that the purpose of life is to enjoy it as much as you can and as much as it horrifies most people here to think that alot of people actually do enjoy devoting their lives to GOD. After all you only get one chance, unless you frequent the Parapsychology or Pseudopsychology forums.

19. Deena Homicide Registered Senior Member

There are so many social constrictions that the very faithful can and do fail to overcome too. I don't think religion plays the only part in living life. I suppose from a relgious stand point it would. But most people don't apply religion to their everday lives nor actually believe that application of anything outside of being "godly" or "pious" in the worshipful sense, is necessary.

I actually believe that there are very few people who enjoy their religion. I believe that most people feel obligated to practice (which is a social constriction itself). This leads to a really half-assed outlook, both on the religion and on life. Obligation to be good and happy isn't actually being good and happy.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm sure there are lots of people that actually have faith in their religion. I just think its rare. If it gives them purpose that they can't find else where, god bless them (if you don't mind a heathen saying so).

I can't have faith in that. But like I said, I'm agnostic.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2002
  20. archwriter Registered Senior Member

Deena, Ok I guess I understand what you were trying to say and I'm not trying to argue with you but for many people, the "beauty of living" is not enough. That is, if we all just lived for living itself, most of the population would become increasingly bored and then you are no longer living are you?

21. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but that's just it...the "beauty of living" is enough for those people who don't make religion or status or a career their priority.

As for people getting bored: That's only if you consider sitting on your couch till the end of your days "living". You can do a lot in life...learn, love, travel, experience...but these things are a part of your life, not the purpose.

I don't condemn making money, but it's a part of your means, and it shouldn't be your ultimate end.

I know that the "life is a journey" cliche is old and tired, but humor me. If life is a journey (and, like a journey, life is a linear experience), then the things that you stop to take in and experience along the way don't have to be the destination. You don't have to stop for them permenantly. They're just part of the trip, and the trip is one that you take for the experience. I think many people get sidetracked and focus on the means too much. But the vehicle isn't nearly as important as the journey. But traveling companions might be. No, are.

This might be ridiculous. And I didn't feel like saying everything I have to say right now. But as far as what I did say, I believe every word.

22. archwriter Registered Senior Member

Good post walker, kinda like what I was trying to get at but I guess I'm a bit lazy and hate writing long posts (and I like playing devils advocate

). Sorry if my previous post didn't make sense to you.

23. Angelus Daughter Of House Ravenhearte Registered Senior Member

Um, I think Walker got it all here. Good job man, my thoughts exactly.