Purpose of Life

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Hermann, Sep 14, 2005.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The purpose of life is what YOU want it to be .

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Honey, this is the most useless answer there can be.

The people who know what they want the purpose of their life to be, don't ask about it.

And those who don't know it, post such threads and nobody can help them.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Or, water, some post such questions to recieve such answers, as cosmictraveler has thoughtfully provided, because they are confused by others religious beliefs, that claim the purpose of life is with gods.

Or, haven't you figured that out yet?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. comisaru Registered Senior Member

Right. Still, the life came somehow after the universe. And for sure the life will "alter" itself, whenever could or not alter the universe or a part of it.
    See the hypothetical alien civilizations, ranked by the use of the energy of one star or one galaxy.

8. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

the point is: the universe is dynamic. it is a constancy of alteration. life is part of that. there is no choice but for the universe to be altered, as it would seem its very nature is constant change. *shrug*

9. water the sea Registered Senior Member

There is no need to eternally blame others for our own confusions.

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

There is no need to eternally blame others for our own confusions.

If those others claim their god fantasies as some sort of reality and cause the confusion, then yes, we should blame them.

11. water the sea Registered Senior Member

What is the use in blaming?

12. Hermann Registered Senior Member

Water,

You are right. I feel safe by having an idea about the purpose of life and I would feel insecure without.

Regarding “blaming” I must say, that I hate people who are intolerant and arrogant. All fanatics are intolerant and often arrogant, because they believe to know the absolute truth. In this respect there is no difference between fanatic atheists and religious fanatics.

I have never said, that I know the truth. With this thread I was only seeking for an open discussion, where I expect that everyone tries to understand the opinion of the other. But such a discussion is not possible with fanatics.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It may seem useless to you but to me it makes perfect sense for I can't tell you what the purpose of your life is only the purpose of my own. Therefore by telling you my purpose wouldn't answer the question as to what your life is all about , would it?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  14. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Hermann,

But is your idea about the purpose of life, the idea that makes you feel secure -- is it a rational idea, is it substantiated, justified, is it realistic?

Isn't it intolerant and arrogant to hate people who are intolerant and arrogant?

cosmictraveler,

Read what I said:

You've said in roundabout the same thing as I did.

15. Hermann Registered Senior Member

Water,

I think it would be better to ignore all kind of fanatics, because it is useless to talk with them.

My ideas are certainly not substantiated like scientific facts. But I regard them as rational and logical conclusions based on my premises. Perhaps the following examples may help to understand my view:

The biological evolution is a fact for you and for me. The evolution is only based on evidence and is not really accessible for experiments, but it is backed by a very convincing theory. Creationists who would not accept the theory behind can doubt it quite easily.

The UFO phenomena seem to be still nonsense to me. But scientists can easily become convinced, because these fit to the materialistic worldview and are often part of science fictions.

Now lets look at NDE (Near Death Experience), Here the evidence is stronger than for the evolution and it would be accessible for experiments. For me it is also backed by a convincing theory, but this would not fit to the dogma of materialism in sciences and only therefore NDE will be rejected or ignored. There is also no interest in a careful research, because a possibly confirming result is not wanted.

Scientists are not unbiased, they are committed to the dogma of materialism, and this is a big problem in my opinion.

16. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Herman,

I think the ultimate test for any idea about the purpose of life is if you can employ that idea at ANY time in your life, be it good times or bad times, and have that idea help you out and restore you, and encite happiness in you.

Does your idea pass this test?

17. Hermann Registered Senior Member

Water,

Yes – without any doubt – my idea is passing your test completely.
    I like your definition and I am wondering, which other rational philosophy of life could pass your test as well.

18. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Herman,

Alrighty then. I've nothing more to say here.

I wish you well.

19. Satyr Banned Banned

The purpose of life is to avoid all purpose.

20. Segestan Registered Member

The Purpose of Life: To be born into the world. To thus become free beings. Free from the confines of everlasting eternity. The purpose of life ;To Live as a finite , to live as a mortal is to be born free.The Earthly reasonings of things, of the mechanical world or of faith ideas in the wonders of the worlds wonderful works of nature or mankinds are all apart of the freedoms of self-will and self expression we do all enjoy in space , on earth as earth, as time bound beings born of the souls who comprise this worldly manifestation.
    The Soul is eternal. The numbers of souls is infinite. The Souls of the Everlasting universal condition , a condition not so pleasant to the soul, must by sheer demand of countless personality expressions of each join in a grand universal endeavor , master plan , if you will, and create the environment , forge the mechanical process, that will by the powers in these souls very personal being, thus cause the manifestation of the World as We know it.As it is Willed it is Done. The Universe is VERY Personal. All empty space is an illusion. It has No limits of Individual Personalities existing in or as cosmic essence, very individual essence, no two the same in every manner. Dwelling endlessly until that moment of personality escape , by the doings of the master plan, escape into the finite vehicle, the body. The vehicle , the body of man or beast, a design that must by default change and decay , die that all who compose reality might have a chance to live unto the dream of time bound life and it's many dynamic dramas of love and hate, triumph and defeat.Good and Evil.
    You are Right Herman in many ways but do Not understand that the true magnitude of the 'Souls investment' in the Finite world is total. It is ALL WE have ...PERIOD!

regards,

21. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Hermann's probably dead by now.

That makes this thread particularly tragic when you think about it.

22. Hermann Registered Senior Member

I am still alive, but I thought my thread was dead.

Segestan,
    Thanks for your interesting post, but unfortunately I could not fully understand it -especially your last sentence. Do you not agree, that our real existence is within our soul, which is captured in our body and will survive? My view becomes much more clear, if you would read my small booklet online at: http://books.google.com/books?q="Hermann Raith"&btnG=Search Books&as_brr=1
    The discussion would become easier, when you could tell where you can’t agree with my thoughts or statements and what would be your alternative ideas.
    Kind regards
    Hermann

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Hermann

The problem with your booklet's rationale is that you believe in creationism and spiritism, yet you make no case for them. You fail miserably in your attempts to link those fantasies with the natural world based on misrepresentation of the facts. It's rubbish.