Purest H2O

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by lixluke, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Ok smart ass

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I had a rough day and my ability to spell takes the backseat.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

Yeah, that's what she requested.

No, wait, that's what I told her!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Gross.
    What I want is clean pure water full of nothing but clean pure water.
    And I would like for my food to be as clean as possible as well.

Through the information on this thread, I found that the cleanest possible water I can get is distilled, although it is not 100% pure H2O. This is good confirmation anyway, considering distilled is what I had always assumed to be the purest, and what I always drink a great amount of everyday.

There is also much controversy surrounding the intake of large amounts of very pure water. Such a theory could be tested on rats in a controlled environment. Provide the rats with equal settings. Feed one rat the very pure H2O in large amounts, and feed the other rats hard water sparingly. Then measure the results.
    Check the energy levels.
    Check for exploded cells.
    Check if the entire rat exploded in the cage.
    Note the lifespan.
    Do the experiment a few times, and note any condiderable effect on the rat with pure water.
    If the effects are considerably beneficial, than pure water is good.
    If the effects are considerably destructive, than pure water is bad.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ecclesiastes Registered Senior Member

why dont you try and find an old physics/chemistry/bology testbook? you know,from school and look up osmosis.

8. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

That's an unfair test. The rats should be given an equal volume of pure/hard water respectively, to make it a fair test.

9. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Same volumes of the solutions or same volumes of H20, just difference levels of disolved particles?

10. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

That one

11. Roman Banned Banned

Nanopure water is more pure than distilled water. It even takes out viruses and stuff.

12. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

"clean" and "pure" aren't the same thing. What's so 'unclean' about nice, healthy minerals, anyway?

Why don't you apply the same principle to your food? Only take 100% pure carbohydrate, protein, and vitamin pills?

13. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

The water I drink is called Penta. It's supposedly the world's cleanest water.

http://www.pentawater.com/

It's kind of expensive but it's so damn good and tastes so clean. They also add medicinal oxygen to it. It costs around $2.00 for a liter and that's the largest bottle they have that I've seen so no gallons of what you've asked.

They also no longer sell in the UK due to scientific claims of how better it is than other waters and such. I've no idea about any of those claims and I don't care as I can't test any of it myself. All I got is my taste buds and man, that's the best water I've drank and I've tried at least one bottle of every single brand I've laid eyes on.

- N

14. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

What is so unclean about them is that they contaminate pure H2O. The less that is in it, the closer it is to pure H2O.

The theory is that if you drink too much water that is pure, it will be bad for you. That means drinking more than the regular amount. That is why the rat has to drink more. If it doesn't want to, whichever animal cruelty firm that is conducting the test can shove the water down its throat.

15. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Again, what's so special about pure H<sub>2</sub>O? It sounds like you have nothing more than an irrational obsession with it. I know that pure water contains nothing that isn't water in it. That's the definition of "pure". Then the question becomes: so what?
    Too much of anything is bad for you health. A more useful theory is: Pure water is more damaging to your health than the same quantity of hard water. If the main aim of the experiment is to compare different water solutions, you have to do it in controlled conditions. This is an elementary requirement of the scientific method.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Sooo there is nothing there except for pure water.
    It is easil said that there is nothing wrong with having dirt on your fruits and vegs. Bur preferably I like my food clean so that it is food alone, and not contaminated with anything. Same goes for H2O.
    The purer it is, the better. The less contaminants it has in it, the purer it is.

17. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Better in what way?

18. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

In the way that the less dirt on an object, the better. If I want to eat an apple, I want my apple to be 100% apple. Purer H2O is better in the same way purer anything is better.

19. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Because dirt is likely to contain harmful contaminants.
    What does that mean? An apple is a mixture of many things, as is a glass of tap water. The fact that common beverages available from springs and your tap are named after their main constituent (water) does not, in itself, make them inferior in any way.
    Basically all I've gathered is that you happen to like the adjective "pure."

20. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Not typically, no. Particularly when you consider that any contaminants in the soil on your carrots, for instance, have already been absorbed into the carrots themselves.

Cools skill's obsession with pure water is a rather nice example of the modern neurotic obsession with hygiene. Amusingly ironic, however, is the possibility that such an obsession and lifestyle is markedly unhealthy.

The immune system, like every other body system, atrophies with disuse leaving people like cool skill more vulnerable to the inevitable exposures they cannot avoid. In fact, the increased prevalence of asthma, allergies, and some auto-immune conditions such as Crohn's may by attributable to such a sterile lifestyle. In any case, humans evolved consuming anything but pure and sterile food and water, our bodies are more than capable of handling a few germs and toxins... it is probably even good for us.

http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc99/8_14_99/bob2.htm
    http://www.respiratoryreviews.com/jan03/rr_jan03_hygiene.html
    http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=36487
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/10/4/l_104_07.html

Back to the topic, I cannot find any credible sources that demonstrate that drinking distilled water is in any way harmful. So Cool Skill can keep drinking his purified water... not that it will do him any particular good.

~Raithere

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I can find them.

ref 3: Kozisek F. Health risks from drinking demineralised water. In: Nutrients in
    drinking water. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2005. p. 148-163

So cool skill should continue to drink distilled. (But if you want him around he shouldn't.)

22. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Interesting but it still seems somewhat thin. Most of the references seem to be associative studies.

http://www.watertechonline.com/News.asp?mode=4&N_ID=61217

Still, even the suggestion would seem to make Cool Skill's quest a bit foolish.

(I wonder what happens when he finds a worm in his apple!)

Bottoms Up!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

~Raithere

23. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

there is no such thing as pure water in nature, it exists naturally with impurities. Pure water can only be found in chemical labs. Even the one's we drink from coca cola are laden with additives. Its very rare to find 100% pure water, its really a synthetic idea. 100% pure bulslhit is always guaranteed.