Purest H2O

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by lixluke, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Naat Scientia potestas est. Registered Senior Member

The question still remains. Why are obsessed about pure water when food is contaminated to?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

That is not a question.
    How about a better question such as:
    Why is youre head so full of nothing but air that you ask brainless questions revealing yourself to be the total idiot that you are?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

*sigh*

You don't like mineral water because it's got stuff you "don't need."

Food is mostly stuff you don't need. All you need are a few grams of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamines, and minerals. Why don't you get those substances in pills in their pure form?

Is a little consistency too much to ask from you?
    Is explaining a double standard too much for you?
    Is answering simple questions beyond you?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Naat Scientia potestas est. Registered Senior Member

Hey, hold your horses. No need to call names.
    Your alternative source of minerals is food, right?
    You are worried that water is contaminated, thus (or just) you prefer pure water, as pure as possible that is, right?
    Then again, you agree that food is contaminated to.
    Correct me if I am wrong but, why the obvious contradiction?

8. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

No.

9. Naat Scientia potestas est. Registered Senior Member

After re-reading the thread, I want to apologize for keeping this alive. Like all used-to-be funny readings, this needs to die! It isn´t funny anymore, 10 pages of same arguments, same questions, same stupid answers. Let it go, The Grim Reaper is here to claim this thread in the name of the Holy Archives.

10. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Cool skill, I ask again: Do you understand the process of diffusion, whereby molecules will travel from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration to even out the concentration?

11. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Geez guys, don't hammer the guy all because he wants to drink some water without crap in it. Yeah, he gets minerals elsewhere in food, but that doesn't mean he wants to drink said minerals.

I eat steak and sometimes drink milk for the calcium, but you don't see me putting bits of steak in my milk, do you? Some people just prefer things to be plain and that's it. Drinking pure water isn't going to kill him because he'll get the minerals elsewhere. I don't like water that has a lot of minerals in it as I can taste em and it makes it rough.

I like smooth and pure water for the same reasons he does. It's the reason why I don't drink tap water as it's too hard. Surely for some of you that prefer bottled water over tap, it's the same reason why one may choose one bottled water over another -- more purity.

Talk about being picky as to someone else's preference, geez.

- N

12. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Irrelevant.

If you do not want to read this, get the hell lost.
    Nothing you say has any relevance anyway. You do nothing, but try to change what people say.
    Therefore, you are pointless.

13. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

ALl I think is this: cool skillm there is NOTHING wrong with you drinking pure water. Just do not socum *or something?) to hyperhyrdation (too much water). Drink your pure water (which proably tastes very very good) and take multivitamins.

And be sure ot eat fruits and veggitables. A nice steak here and there is good, too.

14. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

No, very releveant. You say that you don't believe that cells will explode when immersed in 100% pure water. I ask again, do you understand the process of diffusion?

15. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Osmosis. Cells soaked in pure water would continue to take on water until either they were isotonic with the outside or they burst. I don't know that they can or cannot close themselves to the water. An oily layer would stop that process, like the waxy layer on planet leaves and stalks or the vital oils in skin. Otherwise we couldn't even tolerate rainwater.

For some reason I can't take drinking distilled water all the time. I've done that when I couldn't tolerate the minerals in the well water but eventually had to go to filtered water. Of course, when half your fluid intake is soda pop, it is mixed with regular tap water so there are enough minerals to go around. I think that distilled water is good for cleansing after someone has concentrated the minerals too much. I definitely think that it is possible to be in a condition, even with normal kidneys, where one has too much of all the usual minerals in his blood. I think that this condition can cause the kidneys to shut down even when there is nothing wrong with them. If there is too much salt in the body the kidneys don't know that there is excess water to remove.

16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

If you do not eat you will die.
    You can probably drink 100% pure water for a long period of time without eating.
    Sort of like an extended fast on water alone.
    But the body needs food eventually.

Many people believe that you cannot drink 100% pure water for a long period of time without eating because your cells will explode.
    Cells exploding is very questionable, but remains plausible none the less.

Either way, purification systems have not advanced in such away that 100% pure H2O is readily available for consumers to drink. Even the purest H2O on the market still has traces of non-H2O substances in it.

Diffusion is nothing more than movement of particles according to potential. Osmosis is a type of diffusion regarding liquid. I'm no expert, but I know a little about it.

Show me where I ever said that. Only a moron such as yourself would put words in other people, and argue against what other people never said.
    You might as well change your name to communist total idiot.

17. sh93 Registered Member

It seems there is a huge amount of speculation floating around the idea that drinking 100% pure water causes cells within the blood to "explode" caused by hypohydration.

Having touched on this subject in college i have a mild understanding of this, and by no means does drinking 100% pure (distilled) water cause this hypohydration. Cell tend to explode withing the blood stream because the water content flowing through the blood with the cells is so great that a huge amount of water flows into the cells by osmosis, of which these cells cannot cope with and therefore burst.

the percentage of purity of the water has no relevance. And as for drinking distilled water, there is no evidence mentioned in this thread stating that a study has concluded it is bad to drink 100% pure water.

There are four main functions of water in the human body:
    -To serve as a transporter of materials
    -To act as a regulator of temperature
    -To lubricate joints and other tissues, and
    -To participate in our body's biochemical reactions
    and it seems distilled water is a good source to satisfy these needs.

The amount of mineral nutrient obtained from water is truly insignificant. One cup of milk, for example, provides the mineral equivalent of several gallons of ordinary hard water.

It seems urban myth and the sheep-like attitude of jumping on the back of what somebody has said, rather than trying to understand the truth for yourself has accentuated these profound claims that distilled water is not safe and will kill you!