Psychosis ~What is it?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Quantum Quack, Mar 4, 2006.

1. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

how does somebody with a PHD in psychology have such a terrible understanding of how to communicate effectivly with poeple. meh

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

It is a lot more correct to say that a person who has a child is a potentially good parent than to say that he or she is potentially a bad parent. It is a lot more correct to treat that person as if he or she has already done a good job than it is to treat that person as if he or she has already done a bad job.

It is amazingly hard to get people to make this simple distinction. It is wrong to treat people as if most of them are evil to try to get at the people who are evil, incompetent, stupid, or whatever. Yet that's the trend. That trend makes those who think they are trying to make things better into people who are doing a lot of evil things without making things better.

A lot of how to make the world a better place is to treat people as if they do make the world a better place.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Good luck.
    The man is a monster of nomenclature....
    He does have things to say once you've managed to wriggle past his slippery terminology.
    (I found this to be quite helpful.)

However, he has written an easily understood lecture for the layman.

Existentialism is a Humanism.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. duendy Registered Senior Member

your cool mate....stop feelin inferior...that's an order!....hehe Orwellian or what?

i think reason feel inferior, is the long long guilting process indoctrinated in us. a divide and conquer/rule technique that has people like in a permanen angst. in protestant culture its the religio/scientism-darwinist work ethic.
    and the prssure to seem 'normal'--when inward your screaming oftentimes

8. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

To break it up into simplistic terms: good and bad, just like you said. The point isn't whether or not one thinks that someone will potentially do a bad job, but the essential fact that parents or leaders, or governments or the system or whatever is doing a bad job, in many, many cases where the potential to do a good job is very much existing. If you compare it to the potential "best" or maybe even "perfect", how good is it then? And is it in fact so bad that it needs changing? I personally think that it is, and anyone can see it if one isn't ignorant and objectively consider the condition the planet is in per today.

9. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I may sound a bit odd today because this is linking in strongly with another matter I am pursuing. I have to say that it doesn't have to be perfect to be good. You have to look back at who is looking at you. The one who harps on your every little mistake is usually among the biggest foul-ups in the universe. You lose everything to them if you make one mistake. They can make mistakes, be completely ignorant, vicious, and stupid, and you can't pry anything away from them with a crowbar. It's bass-ackwards.

If a thing that humans are doing is very much right, it should never have to be disposed of because of the occasional problem with it. What gets disposed of are the worthwhile endeavours that cause few problems, and those problems are used as an excuse. What they make us keep are the the cruelest, most problematic, riddled with trouble and corruption.

We are able to keep the life on this planet going in a nice state of prosperity by keeping other life with us in and around our homes. I am firmly convinced that separation from life is the cause of the malaise that we feel. A problem is that our homes cover many millions of square miles that were once home to a variety of animals. Those who know animals know that they are very willing to share their lives and homes with us so that with every few exceptions there is no reason to push them out. We can actually have a more varied ecology than ever before between many nice suburban and country homes. I currently live in a small house with a large yard. There must be more than four dozen species of plant life including those we've brought in and planted. There are two cats. There are squirrels and the occasional rabbit. Most other species of animal life could be brought in if the neighbors would allow it without causing anyone a bit of trouble. If this were allowed to be countrified there could be dozens of species of mammalian life and of course avian and piscine. We have the ability to be absolutely marvelous ecologically, and even improve on nature. All we have to do is allow ourselves.

Humans aren't a natural disaster. We grew from the ecology of this planet. We can become a space-faring race and at the same time we can be completely at home with the nature that we came from.

10. duendy Registered Senior Member

I really respect you MetaKron

11. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I appreciate that. All we have to do is look around and realize that we are part of the organism. If we ever were an invader, we're home now and welcome if we want to be part of it.

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Noble sentiment, but hardly realistic.

Seen Grizzly Man? That's what happens when you allow certain species of animal to become acclimatized to humans.

Now. There are other methods that are being utilized to try to save animals. Such as migration corridors and such. There is actually a large amount of research going on in this field.

Completely off-topic. Yes?

By the way, have you read Existentialism is a Humanism yet? I'd like to hear your opinion of it.

13. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

You know what, Invert? Bringing up that incident is an insult to my intelligence and that of everyone reading it. No matter how safe an occupation is, someone somewhere will find a way to die doing it, even if it's by stepping on a slick spot and breaking his own neck. Not one of the people who bash exotic ownership has ever shown statistically that it is particularly dangerous to anyone. You certainly don't seem to be interested in finding an intelligent way to prove that point one way or the other.

It is VERY realistic. While people were left alone to do it, in the U.S., quite safely, they have raised tens of thousands of big cats and other exotics, making the U.S. the place where the most exist. It has been a smashing success. It won't be much longer if the animal rights wingnuts are allowed to take it apart.

What of your "other methods"? We already have methods that work. They do not need to be messed with.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

My.
    Interesting reaction.
    An insult to your intelligence? No. Just the most famous of a long series of such incidents.
    An example is all it is.

But. Wait.
    What you're saying is:

You're talking about pets.
    You're talking about making wild animals pets.
    That's your solution?
    Lovely.
    Really lovely.

I didn't even think about subjugating animals as you seem to have. The thought never occurred to me. I thought you were simply speaking of living in proximity with animals not owning them.

I... don't even know what to say about the turn of the conversation in here.
    I suppose keeping animals in captivity is better than letting them all die, but I'd prefer they lived their own lives, in the wild.

Some animals can live in close proximity with man with little harm to either one. This is true. But other animals are more dangerous. They are predators. And living in proximity to man, the time will always come when some decide that man is prey.

But wait. You do realize that they tend to go after the weak, don't you?
    They go after the young. And inexperienced.

Sorry, man.
    You've just freaked me out with this whole pet thing.
    Pets.
    That's your plan for saving the animals.
    Making them pets..........
    Wow.

15. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

You see, Invert, this kind of stuff is why I don't like you.

A "string" of incidents? More people are hitting the big prize on the Powerball than being killed by so-called exotic animals. You know why humans are so stupid? It's because people like you use head games to make them stupid. And then what are you? You could use what little bit of power you have for good, but no, you just won't do that. You wouldn't know how anymore, anyway.

Yes, make them pets. It is all that we have. It is also a human right that should not be forcibly removed from some people just because some people have been irresponsible. The people who do forcibly remove this right are criminals. Unfortunately those criminals may never meet with their Nuremberg but they are indeed criminals.

16. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Who's talking about 'exotics'?
    You say exotics and I think of leopards and panthers and tigers and whatnot.
    A bear isn't exotic.
    Neither is a cougar.

You know why more people aren't being killed by wild animals?
    Because they keep their distance from them.
    Wild animals are afraid of people.
    People are afraid of wild animals.
    When this changes, that's when people get hurt.

Have you ever seen bear attack victims?
    I recall seeing this guy on some dumb ass talk show, probably Maury, he's the one who brings out the freaks all the time. This guy had no face. His face was bitten off. He had a crater for a face.
    That's a bear attack.

Here. Look at the google results for bear attacks.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Bear attack&hl=en&btnG=Search Images&sa=N&tab=iw

I don't have statistics in hand, and don't have the time or energy to go looking for them tonight, but here's a bit from a quick google hit:
    And that's just British Columbia.

How about wild cat attacks? Cougars?
    How about attacks by animals such as Moose?
    Hell. How about rabid skunks and raccoons? Oppossums?

Pets?
    Do you want a skunk for a pet?
    Do you want a grizzly bear for a pet?
    Do you want a naked mole rat for a pet?

You're not doing an animal a favor by making it a pet. They are wild animals. They deserve their freedom.

Would you like to be a pet? Haven't you been chafing in this very thread against just that sort of behavior? Or is your resentment more towards being an abused pet?

Come on, man.
    Seriously.

17. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I think that the person who wrote that bit about bear attacks in British Columbia has not the intelligence to run a fry vat during the slack times in the afternoon at McDonald's.

Once again, how stupid do you think I am? What kind of retard writes that shit? Why do you think that I should give it the time of day?

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Ah.
    The scathing, "You're dumb."
    So. You concede then?

Shit, man.
    I applaud your desire to save the earth and all.
    But, pets?
    Wow.
    That's just... weird.

You didn't mention skunks, by the way.
    Want a skunk for a pet?
    Would you get him de-gland?

Anyway.
    As to the stats for bear attacks.
    It doesn't matter how many people get killed or injured by wild animals a year. Not to one of the few who do get maimed by a wild animal.

How about dog attacks?
    Would you agree that more people get attacked by dogs every year than by bears?
    Why do you think this is?
    You think it might be because dogs and humans live in close proximity?
    And that in many instances dogs have no fear of humans?
    Think that might play a role?

But, hey, you go on and keep your pet bunnies and squirrels.
    Send me a picture when you befriend a bear. Ok?

By the way. I love the way you break out the third person here.
    This is supposed to highlight my inhumanity? That I'm not even worth addressing directly. Yes?

It's been awhile since I've called you a hypocrite, hasn't it?
    Hypocrite.

Anyway.
    Still haven't read that Sartre lecture?
    I really would like your opinion on it.

19. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

There really is something wrong with you, Invert. I never said that all human beings have some good in them, just most of them.

20. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Ad hom.
    Sigh.
    I wonder why I ever even expect more from you?
    Sometimes I do.
    I see a glint and then you pull back and start lashing out blindly again.
    Really sad.

So.
    If you ever get to it.
    I really would be interested in your opinion on that lecture.
    But whatever, dude.

Know what your problem is?
    You take offense way to fucking easily.
    I suppose part of the blame is the inpersonality of text. How cold it comes across. But, a lot of it has to be just you.

You sure react well to people smooching up to you, though, don't you?
    But a little honest criticism and you fall to pieces.

So.
    Sartre lecture.

And picture of that bear you're going to befriend.

Bye-bye.

21. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

That wasn't honest criticism.

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. Just step out in front of a truck, please. And I wish to God you would stay away. You never do.

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I love you, man!

And. Yes, Metakron.
    It was honest criticism. You can interpret it however the fuck you want. You will anyway. As has been demonstrated time and time again.
    But it was honest criticism.
    I wasn't attacking you.
    I wasn't bullying you.
    I wasn't belittling you.
    You insulted me.
    Not vice versa.
    Remember that.

And now you're once more wishing harm on me....
    Hypocrite.

And. No. I never do.
    I love you too much to stay away, Meta-baby.
    Will you have my children? Please?

23. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I honestly think, Invert, that you are one of those pieces of human refuse who lurks around just to sabotage productive discussion and your "honesty" is a total lie.