Psychosis ~What is it?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Quantum Quack, Mar 4, 2006.

1. duendy Registered Senior Member

Hey QQ, i am guessing you know my opinions about this issue of 'mental health'. itis a complte sham. it is designed as social control. to fit a person into 'acceptable' modes of operation that SERVEthe prevailing paradgm of a given culture.

FIRST.....if interested in this extremely important issue, you should BE aware of te oppression. if so this gives you empathy for those who behave in ways counter to this oppression.....this opprssion can come from many angles. from actual tate oppression and its reverberations throughout all the way to your treatment from your 'significant others' as prson centreed counsellors term those who are cloe to you. i am not a PCC but sometimes use that term

what really does 'anti-psychotic' mean. what tese drugs can do is harm the central nervous system.

you sked 'is there a better way'--ie than labelling people tese phony labels and giving them these harmful drugs.

YES. but we HAVEto face up to what is real. number one that these so-called mental illhesses are NOT biologicval desieases

to thus give INFORMED consent

'they' will jump in now and claim person who 'has psychosis' has 'no insight' into teir 'disease'----what tis means is in shrink terms is 'they have no human rights'!

but they very much DO

we have to approach tis huge problem form a MULT disciplinary approach which involves exaining the whole materialistic philosophy supporting the mental health movement. which dismisses the importance if people's subjective experiences, espcially when judged 'unacceptable'

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Oh good, I was hoping duendy would post something. Now we have a perfect example of a delusional person to complement the discussion.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

apparently it makes perfect sense to Duendy: that someone can have the "psychadelic experience" by taking certain hallucinogenic substances - weed, lsd, mushrooms, dmt etc - duendy is a strong advocate of the substance induced "psychadelic experience"

but at the same time it seems impossible to duendy that many people have very similar experiences - without taking any drugs.

Why is that so inconceivable to duendy? That some get the experience from mushrooms or cactus (mescaline/peyote) - but that its impossible to have this experience "naturally"?

- because she finds it threatening to her (chosen) way of life.
    (and all the scientific evidence supporting the existence of mental illnesses is actually a "conspiracy for social control".)

Not only do many people suffer from naturally occurring "psychadelic experiences": delusions, hallucinations etc, but most of them find them upsetting, disturbing, or frightening, and want them to stop.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. squishysponge Registered Senior Member

Psychosis is a general term given for a range of psychiatric abnormalities. Usually to describe problems such as halucinations, anxiety and paranoia, etc. Basically they cant 'think straight' compared to what is socially/personally (relative to their former state) considered to be a normal behavior (i.e. calm, non biazzare actions or thoughts, etc).

It usually describes more serious cases when the person shows very obvious differing mental states. Underlying causes are prob signs of diseases, or other psychiatric causes.

And I know what you mean. State of being normal is very relative. However the state of being normal (psychologically) is sterotyped and affected by media and cultural influences on what is deemed as normal behavior. Psychiatry buys into this half personally relative and half cultural construct of what is normal mental health, and practice medicine based relative to this norm.

I think everybody has some sort of psychotic eplisode sometime in their life, or psychologically unfit behaviors (like talking to themselves, etc). 'Ideally', people should be completely 'square'; if you know what I mean. They are extremely calm all the time, good concentration, never experience stress, etc. However that belief is very media influenced in my opinion. In fact, if anything I would personally believe anyone who is that 'square' is a little nut to me instead.

8. PHPlatonica Im over myself now... Registered Senior Member

Herc, Your Such a Punk.... Duendy has VALUABLE insite ya fart head

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. duendy Registered Senior Member

hah,,,tanks PH, actually HRockerfellah last coupla posts have blown me mind they've been really insightful. but ooop he gooone wrong agin here, hah

and Huwy....ohhh, of course i ruddy know that people have psychedelic experience after ingesting certain subsances and some hve strange experiences not. of course i do. dont assume you know me. we've alread had quite a discussion bout tis in anoter tread, bt seems you just do NOT abosrb ata all. like talkin to a fkin brickwall actually

look. we are talking about people having expernce. this experience is NOT, i repeat NOT a disease. so first of all, the right and intelligent thing to do is FACE this. this is first. if you haven'tclicked up to here ten the rest you do is confusion

we are not denying people scalled 'meds if that is what they want. but with INFORMED consent. treating tem wit respect as a human being. not as some deranged label that 'we' fear. this fear is for US to deal wit also. as i said it DEMANDS we look at our OW shit--our philosophy of reality. our general philosophy as drilled into us is materialistic. so we need to examine that too and see where our fear comes from regarding 'strange states of being'.

10. PHPlatonica Im over myself now... Registered Senior Member

Psychosis: Understanding It
    by Stuart Sorensen – RMN

Ask the average citizen to define psychotic and they’ll revert back to the tired old Hollywood stereotype of sado-masochistic axe-wielding murderer so often described as psychotic in popular movies. They’d confidently list the callous characteristics of big screen villains with all the certainty of a university professor. And they’d be wrong!

What the media describes as ‘psychotic’ usually means a completely different disorder – psychopathy. It’s not the same thing! If you want more information on what it means to be a psychopath please see the information sheet on primary personality disorders.

Now that we’ve established what psychosis is not, let’s consider what it really is. There are many psychotic symptoms, all of which can be described as disorders of perception (the way we experience or make sense of the world). People suffering from psychotic disorders can exhibit any or all of these at different times depending upon the exact nature of their illness
    Psychotic disorders include:
    Schizophrenia
    Drug-induced Psychosis
    Psychotic Depression
    Bi-Polar Disorder
    Alzheimer’s disease
    Multi-infarct dementia
    Delirium Tremens
    Korsakoff’s Syndrome (alcohol-related dementia)
    Psychotic symptoms can also occur in a range of other conditions but these tend to present less often in acute psychiatric wards.

Generally speaking there are two main groups of psychotic symptoms: hallucinations and thought disorders. We’ll consider each group separately but please bear in mind that there can be considerable ‘cross-over’ in the pattern of symptoms an individual displays and that people generally present with only some of them.
    Psychosis: Understanding It
    by Stuart Sorensen – RMN

Ask the average citizen to define psychotic and they’ll revert back to the tired old Hollywood stereotype of sado-masochistic axe-wielding murderer so often described as psychotic in popular movies. They’d confidently list the callous characteristics of big screen villains with all the certainty of a university professor. And they’d be wrong!

What the media describes as ‘psychotic’ usually means a completely different disorder – psychopathy. It’s not the same thing! If you want more information on what it means to be a psychopath please see the information sheet on primary personality disorders.

Now that we’ve established what psychosis is not, let’s consider what it really is. There are many psychotic symptoms, all of which can be described as disorders of perception (the way we experience or make sense of the world). People suffering from psychotic disorders can exhibit any or all of these at different times depending upon the exact nature of their illness.

Psychotic disorders include:
    Schizophrenia
    Drug-induced Psychosis
    Psychotic Depression
    Bi-Polar Disorder
    Alzheimer’s disease
    Multi-infarct dementia
    Delirium Tremens
    Korsakoff’s Syndrome (alcohol-related dementia)
    Psychotic symptoms can also occur in a range of other conditions but these tend to present less often in acute psychiatric wards.

Generally speaking there are two main groups of psychotic symptoms: hallucinations and thought disorders. We’ll consider each group separately but please bear in mind that there can be considerable ‘cross-over’ in the pattern of symptoms an individual displays and that people generally present with only some of them.

Hallucinations
    This category of psychotic symptoms can be further divided into three sub-categories called modalities. These are:

Auditory
    Visual
    Kinesthetic (e.g. Olfactory, tactile)
    Auditory hallucinations can take the form of voices or other sounds which may or may not be distressing to the patient. Sometimes these voices are incoherent but at other times they are very clear and can be amusing or offensive, demanding or controlling and may represent several individuals or only one. Their intensity, frequency and volume are also variable. These variations in content and presentation of auditory hallucinations are part of yet another sub-category known as sub-modalities.

As well as being distressing in their own right auditory hallucinations can dramatically affect behavior. For example the multiple murderer Peter Sutcliffe (The Yorkshire Ripper) killed several prostitutes because the voices told him to. In his case the voices were perceived as the word of God and so he believed that his crimes were Divine retribution. Sutcliffe actually believed he was the instrument of God’s wrath on earth and waged a holy war against immorality similar to the Old Testament God’s destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Of course murders are no more common among psychotic people than among the general public so don’t worry. It is a useful way to illustrate the point though! In the majority of cases hallucinatory voices are directed against the sufferer themselves (if anyone) which is why schizophrenia sufferers for example are much more likely to harm themselves than anyone else.

Visual hallucinations are equally disturbing and can be extremely confusing both for the psychotic person and those around him/her. Although visual hallucinations can be quite pleasant they are often extremely distressing (demons etc.). It is not unknown for psychotic patients to physically injure themselves in their attempts to escape the hallucinations they believe to be chasing them. Interestingly visual hallucinations are commonly experienced in alcohol-related psychoses – often in the form of rats, snakes, insects or even tiny people.

Kinesthetic hallucinations are hallucinations of touch or physical experience. People may feel insects crawling over them or experience pain or indeed a range of physical symptoms. The sensation of crawling in particular is commonly associated with alcohol-related psychotic states. It is worth bearing in mind that kinesthetic hallucinations should not be confused with conversion hysteria, another form of psychosomatic disorder which is essentially based upon unexpressed anxiety.

Thought disorder
    Thought disorder means non-hallucinatory psychotic symptoms which have to do with problems in interpretation as well as understanding. This is not an exhaustive list by any means. However, here are some of the more common symptoms:

Knights move thinking:

In the game of chess a knight moves one square forward and then one diagonal. It goes off course if you like. This is exactly what happens in knight’s move thinking. It is possible to follow an individual’s train of thought as there is a link of sorts – a progression of ideas. The problem is that the ideas are linked in ways which make very little overall sense to anyone but the sufferer. This is often a feature of psychosis related to mania or dementing disorders. It is often mistaken for ‘flight of ideas’ which is more a symptom of elation although strictly speaking it does come under the umbrella of psychotic symptoms.

Thought insertion:

This is the experience of one’s thoughts not being one’s own but that they have been ‘inserted’ into one’s head by a third party. People experiencing this symptom find it extremely difficult to organize or control their thoughts, partly because they see little point in trying to control the thoughts which actually belong to someone else. These ‘inserted’ thoughts are often demanding or controlling and can lead the sufferer to behave in ways they normally wouldn’t because they believe that they have no choice.

Thought broadcasting:

This is the opposite of thought insertion. Here sufferers believe that their thoughts are being broadcast to one or more others. This can be extremely distressing, particularly when the sufferer is thinking about past regrets or secrets. Even without such thoughts the lack of privacy they perceive is very difficult to come to terms with. Conversations become strained and often bewildering for others, especially if the sufferer believes they only have to ‘think’ their part of the interaction. A particularly interesting version of thought broadcasting, Gedenkenlautwerden, has sufferers believing their thoughts are openly ‘bouncing’ around the room for all to notice.

Ideas of reference:

Quite simply this means that sufferers believe innocuous things refer to them. For example the people on the television may be talking about or even to them personally. A bird settling in a tree or the fact that there were exactly three people on a passing bus may represent some incredibly complex fantasy which may be extremely threatening. Other people’s casual conversations take on a whole new significance and can be extremely frightening. This is one of the most common symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia although it can occur in other disorders too.

Nihilistic delusions:

Nihilistic is the root of the word ‘annihilate’ and means destruction or death. People experiencing Nihilistic delusions believe things like they are decomposing, their bodies don’t work, their internal organs are rotten or solidifying or even that they are actually dead. In a few rare but well documented cases these delusions have been associated with negative visual hallucinations in which sufferers have become so convinced that a part of their body is missing that they actually stop seeing it! There is, however a separate condition known as sensory inattention which is due to direct damage to the parietal lobe of the brain. It is important to recognize this distinction and it’s implications for treatment.

Derealization

As the name suggests derealization is the perception of unreality in which people experience either themselves or their environment as somehow apart from reality, understandably an extremely distressing predicament. Closely related is the symptom of depersonalization in which people perceive themselves as apart from their ‘true’ selves. There is, of course much more to psychosis than we’ve covered here. However, this information should provide a good basis for further study.

Compliments of Stuart Sorensen – RMN

11. duendy Registered Senior Member

can i just add. whaen i said hercules rockerfellahs) shish dude couldn't you a picked a shorter tag...?) last posts were insightful. i didn't mean THIS thread. it was about other issues

12. PHPlatonica Im over myself now... Registered Senior Member

13. PHPlatonica Im over myself now... Registered Senior Member

hehe Im Still chuckling at fart head, I haven't used that term since I was a kid...

Any how... One Can not say what another has is Delusional or Psychotic... I think Light and QQ have some insight on the "play on words"........
    There have been documented Cases of "Group Hallucinations" Were those Shared psychotic episodes? Or Possible "happenings".... Obviously they "happened" Whether they manifested in a tangible form or not Makes it an Illusion, but does not mean it did not take place. We have to keep in Mind that these Experiences are very "real" indeed in the sense that they are happening to an Individual. Human Kind has Drawn a line about what is "acceptable" and what is not In Society. This States neither that the experienced state were "real" or Not, it just means that they were not "accepted" in our Social structure of what we have agreed upon as a society to be "accepted". An Analogy that is my Favorite is that of a blind person and seeing color. If the Majority of persons are in state of "blindness" then the Experience of Color Is not fathomable to or for them. Does this mean the person with the Sight is seeing or experiencing Colors or is not? If the majority is Not "Seeing" color, shadow etc. They are not "Real" experiences for them. To their mind they Must not Exist. If the Colors and "seeing" state Beings Harm to the majority of Society, it will be looked at as Bad and wrong. There Fore any one "seeing" is the Out Cast. Again, this Does not mean that the Experience did not Take place.
    Human Nature is on the Verge of New Discoveries. The moon, as it turns out, is not made of Cheese. Does this make our Great Grandparents Morons That they thought so? Did the agreement that is was "Cheese" stay accepted so no one would Venture to find out? No. the States of Psychosis, and the definitions there of, should be re evaluated. The use of over medicating an Individual to the point of comatose to stop or Halt a unexpected delusion should be weighed in a different form. If this person is a Danger to them selves or others.
    But One Can Not say the the Episode or Experience Did not Happen

14. Tnerb Banned Banned

How about one more loco to join in on the convo?

15. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Oh God, I wanted to do a cheap shot here but I take this subject a little bit too seriously for that.

Psychosis is going outside of the "accepted" boundaries of society? We live in a society where the so-called normals deliberately blur the boundaries then they fuck up whoever they feel like. There is no way in Hell to know where you stand with all of this shit. If you can't know where you stand, the definition of something like "psychosis" depends on your social status, who is making the decision and which horribly repressive religion is in charge of your area.

I would have to say that "psychosis" is the condition of having been forced out into the rule of victim, out of your own reality and into the lower hells of someone else's, and made a legitimate target for every bully, terrorist, prankster, and god-awful butthead on the planet. I guess being "schizophrenic" is when you catch wise to just how badly you've been bent over and buttraped by so-called acceptable society. I'm still pulling splinters out of my ass from those peckerwoods.

16. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

The CIA has been caught illegally spying on people how many times now?

17. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

The term "heretic" means "free thinker."

The term "psychotic" means "one who has a mental condition." Starting with that, "they" can make it anything they want it to mean. It might as well mean "free thinker."

18. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Any human who thinks about his own crap has a hard row to how, when he wants to learn how to behave intelligently and still bear the burden of his fuck-ups.

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Maybe this may be a little off topic but:

I just noticed a possible relationship.
    Most persons suffering paranoia mention being observed by the CIA. These same persons also complain about hearing voices and some will claim it is the voice of God.
    Yet they believe they are being monitored by The CIA.

CIA = Central intelligence agency yes?

Well what is God? [ to the sufferer of paranoia]
    See the connection?

God is watching......as well as talking....etc....

Well my own philosophies about this is simply that we are all watching each other all the time subconsciously and it is little wonder that this sense of being watched will be interpreted as being God or CIA etc etc.....
    [of course this does not deny the possible validity of actual CIA involvement and that a person has an amplified awareness of all those cameras that are being used in public places these days some not very obvious either....]

How many times have you used a public toilet wondering if there is a camera watching you take a s*it? ha

20. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Well, QQ, what do you think is going to happen when children are exposed to raving lunatics behind the pulpit? They tell children, in the most convincing manner that they know, and this is a horrible way to treat children, by the way, that God is always watching us. Real or not, some are going to see it once they are convinced that it is there. What do the same lunatics behind the pulpits tell us? They tell us that the holy will see "signs and portents." Truly, only the unbelievers have a chance of appearing to be sane, and they're pretty screwed up themselves.

21. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

'tis true, 'tis true....'tis a crazy world we live in" my favourite little green man with his pot of gold is telling me.

seriously ...though I have argued similar point in the past much to the horror of those who fail to see how our accepted duality of religion and science can cause incredibile paradoxes of reasoning in our young and not so young persons. Little wonder that if society can allow such paradoxes to exist that some persons will get lost in it al.

Extreme rationalism is also quite psychotic....."Spock-ian ~ Star trek" reactions to life would be and are quite strange indeed.

22. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

Phplatonica

Bi-Polar Disorder is a mood disorder, and
    Alzheimer’s disease is a neurodegenerative disorder.

23. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Some places I have "lived", ANY rationalism is considered quite psychotic. They can bugger their daughters and be OK, they can get away with walking up and punching you in the face, but do anything that makes sense, they will lock you away and label you a criminal and crazy.

"They" very literally are demanding the right to destroy what lives on this planet and replace it with the walking dead.