Psychology of Conspiracy Theorists

Discussion in 'Conspiracies' started by James R, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Except typically, once you introduce actual evidence and solid facts, it goes from a "conspiracy theory" to a legitimate theory.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You don't get it. A conspiracy theory can sometimes be right. Jews afraid of Nazis and indeed all Germans in the 1930s had a conspiracy theory about them that panned out. Gays have long known the conspiracy of homophobia that defines their legacy of persecution and marginalization and demonization. Black people know the conspiracy of bigotry and white privelege that even to this day stereotypes them and discriminates.

And here's a tip. Don't start flaming me as a bigot or homophobic. I'm nothing of the sort.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

It's still a theory about a conspiracy either way. Nothing has changed about it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

Which is why I said the way you were arguing, you were coming across as one..

You need to watch how you word your posts. Because for about 1.5 pages there, you were saying that it was the Jews, blacks and gays who were the conspiracy theorists.. It seems you are finally recognising that it was those who drove the hatred against them who did so using conspiracy theories against them, which yes, led to their persecution. That is what we have been trying to explain to you all along.

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Sometimes people look at the world and try to derive causes.
    They think "What could have made the world this way?" This is a scientific view.

Other people look for evidence to support beliefs
    So they look at effects and try to explain them in the language of that belief.

Most people combine those two approaches, in varying proportions.
    Occasionally people are very one-sided, either dogmatically scientific or very belief oriented, and those people are generally more vocal.

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

My first post on this made clear that conspiracy theories aren't inherently wrong or evil. Many theories about conspiracies turned out to be right. Jews. Slaves. And gays. Nowadays we would have dismissed all these groups as paranoid nutcases prior to there ever being evidence of a conspiracy. They would have fit the profile of 30 psychological traits of nutty conspiracy theorists. Fortunately history has confirmed them, just as it does many conspiracy theories.

10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

How come all the people on this thread are the same as the people on the autism thread?
    It's a conspiracy.

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

He's back to saying that.

His underlying approach here is to get conspiracy theorists conflated with heroes, so that he can see himself as such.

paddoboy likes this.
  12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

You have a warped sense of what is "conspiracy" and its definition, particularly being one of the more fanatical conspiracy pushers we have on this site.
    The most stupidest conspiracy theories I have seen are the 9/11 crap, and the Moon Landings denial nuts......Followed closely behind by those that see science as never benefiting mankind, and the anti vaccination nutty brigade.

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I noticed that. Notice too how my vaccine thread was moved from Health and Fitness to Conspiracy. As if just discussing vaccine/autism links is to be immediately dismissed as BAD conspiracy theory. Such are the tactics of majority conspiracies.

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

Which was quite fitting, since you were discussing CDC "hiding information "conspiracy theories.

15. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

It might have been better for you to have posted it there in the first place.
    Like you do with your ghost threads, posting them in fringe.
    I disagree with you on almost every subject, but you argue your corner well.
    I enjoy your posts.
    I learn far more in the threads where I disagree with the poster, than when I agree.

16. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

MR is good at sucking people in to the wrong argument. He's basically right about "conspiracy", but what is wrong and offensive is his misuse of "theory'. When something is an open historical fact it doesn't need a theory to explain it. That's why Iran calls the Holocaust a conspiracy theory: that's their way of saying it didn't happen.

17. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Again, backwards: it goes from conspiracy theory to legitimate conspiracy.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yeah... fair evaluation there Russ

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It's human nature - people are enraptured watching another human being self destruct in such a spectacular fashion... sort of like a dog watching/listening to a high-pitched sound... even if they want to look away, they can't help themselves.

Daecon likes this.
  20. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

It took much longer than it should have considering you linked a "BAD conspiracy theory" site in your very first post.

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

MR
    Why is it that you believe all this stuff?

22. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

To not get sucked into the wrong argument is a good thang to learn... an those who dont will always need ther hand held.!!!

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

It makes life more interesting.