Psychological Evolutionary Theory

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by TruthSeeker, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

Re: Merlijn...

Erm.. no, no websites. But when asked for, one should be able to provide with some form of replicatable evidence. Your own personal insights do not matter. nor do mine.
    My websites are not at all everlasting. I upgraded mine just an hour ago.
    I am Merlijn. I only request you to take non-science and pre-scientific observations out of the science lab.

To be honest: I have grown a bit tired of sciforums.com. I am considering quitting. And the reason is that I was looking for a place where I could have discussions free of non-scientific gut-feelings all over the place. I have that enough alreday in real life.
    AGAIN: if you don't have evidence (yet) for an opinion make clear that it is speculation! As if you are writing the Discussion section of an article (and I don't mean an article in the Marie Claire, Paravision, Celebs, ... or something)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Truthseeker,

I would personally like to see your theory. Like I said this should be a growing process. I'll (and invite everyone else) supply what knowledge I have to help you refine it.

I've seen many people attacking the theorist in these forums recently, when they should be attacking the theory. This comes from many people that maintain that objectivity should be held. Such emotional expressions aren't bad, but naturally human.

I'd also like to add that all hypothesis are subjective. It's an experimenters job to show that they are "true". Even when you complete an experiment you have to make a subjective leap to infer it to the environment.

-Xenu

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xev Registered Senior Member

Merlijn:
    I understand and feel your frustration. Physics and Math is overrun by crackpots. Earth science is deluged with "is global warming real?" topics which would be fine, but seem to devolve into Gaii crap. Biology is empty.

I hardly post in our science topics any longer. Between Nelson's refusal to justify his bizzare theories, Banshee's inability to comprehend the difference between science and pseudoscience, and the crackpots, it seems that more time is spent debunking than actually discussing.

Of course, if you leave, the problem worsens. Please stick around.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Merlijn

I'll not post the Latin version:

Don't let the bastards get you down.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Rationale and Reason will prevail.

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

Nolo te bastardes carbundum.

If I remember the inscription from "The Handmaid's Tale".

Please, for the love of [insert mythical guy-in-the-sky], please stay.

9. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

Thanks!
    Maybe the "if you can't join them, beat them" is the best thing to do.

10. le coq Registered Senior Member

ROTFLMAO Inhibitor

Just got here... I feel your pain Merlijn, as well. I've been on a quest for intelligent conversation on the net for a long time myself. For one thing, most people can't type very well, and they don't know how to discourse on a subject without devolving into wisecracks and thinking that typing things like ROTFLMAO is actually communicable information. (Of course, I have no evidence to prove this...) And when somebody's views are challenged, you are usually replied with the ugliest, most irrational bile (there's an interesting psychological phenomenon). Recently someone spat up their digestive tract all over me for suggesting that science (the science that I've read so far) does not support that humans evolved from a vegan origin, and that we need some essential fatty acids, etc. that come from animal sources. I cited a website that collects scientific studies to this effect. They said something like(I love this

"Well, you can use all kinds of science to support any point of view. I took my daughter to the doctor, and when he told me that a vegan diet for her is not advisable, I asked him if he took any courses in nutrition in college. 'No,' he said. I asked him to run tests on the child, and he came back and said she is the healthiest child he sees in his practice." As you may guess, I wasted my breath on a reply pointing out the various fallacies here. I love the rejection of authority followed with confirmation of belief based on the same authority.

While I am not a scientist in real life, I play one on the net. I am currently in college as a 30something working adult, heading into an education of science (not engineering). I read many lay-oriented science books and publications (currently Hobson's The Chemistry of Conscious States, and Deutsch's The Fabric of Reality), and look forward to engaging in conversation about various topics with any mature folk.

John Le Coq

11. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Q, Merlijn, Xev, le coq,

I want you all to try and understand how I feel right now.

I am trying to organize a discussion on development theory, one that Truthseeker had started off, and you all just fill the thread up with your whinings.

In this thread, what Truthseeker initially posted was scientific. It was a hypothesis. What you guys have posted so far has not - it's just been people bashing and massaging your own egos.

Also note, you can never prove a hypothesis to be true (only more likely), you can only prove it to be false. So if you think his hypothesis is false, show how it is.

I know you guys have a lot of emotional unfinished business, but please make a new thread of it and post it there. I know Xev and Mallory did this earlier, and it seemed to be therapeutic. Although I think Mallory has turned his tail, haven't seen him.

So let's keep this on topic, huh. Also, if you have a theory of your own (hypotheses), post them. Create something instead of trying to tear everything apart all the time.

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

13. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

Xenu,
    You're right, it's off topic. Can happen, still I apologize. But I have not attacked Seeker's theory. I only made clear that Banshee should know her place.

There is absolutely no need to lecture me on Popper!

Yes, theer is unsolved emotional business... maybe you should wonder how that came about. ... maybe starting a thread about it is therapeutic. But what was the saying again about preventing and curing?

Now I am going to quote myself
    After that I was attacked . I merely defended, and thanked those supporting me.

14. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Merlijn,

I'm sorry if you felt everything I said was directed towards you, I was trying to address the situation as a whole; you just happened to be apart of that whole. I've PM'd Porfiry to see if it would be ok to open up a thread or forum to express unfinished emotional business.

That aside, let's get back to the topic at hand.

-Xenu

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

In this thread, what Truthseeker initially posted was scientific.

You are as deluded as Truthseeker if you think whatever he has posted has anything to do with science.

So if you think his hypothesis is false, show how it is.

Do you wish us to debate gibberish with more gibberish ?

Create something instead of trying to tear everything apart all the time.

Thanks, but unlike Truthseeker, I'd rather keep my fantasies to myself.

16. Xev Registered Senior Member

Xenu, Truthseeker aka Nelson has repeatedly and explicitly stated his disdain for reason, (it leads to unhappiness), his disdain for thinking and his disdain for science, which he confuses with athiesm and claims that it "starts wars".

Quotes upon request.

How dare you accuse me of whining? When I try to warn you? When I try to encourage a poster to stay?

That is whining?

Whatever. You and Nelson can discuss the implications of cattle mutilation and how zero = infinity and how America and athiests have killed millions of people to your heart's content. Simply don't expect to have the resultant gibberish taken seriously by scientists.

There was no call for the attack, and if that is how you would like to behave when confronted with a little skepticism, you'd be advised to steer clear of skeptics.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Note to self:

Watch Xenu like a hawk. If he transcends from the topic in any thread, post tongue-lashing and immediately send complaint to administration.

18. le coq Registered Senior Member

drink your black cow and get outta here

I apologize if I got off topic. I suppose I was thinking in a usenet manner, in which you can reply directly to someone's post in a subthread without it being a reply to a main thread. I think a forum on net culture, rather than therapy (which would most likely be used as a suggestion for another person that one doesn't like, as in "Why don't you go to the 'I got unsolved emotional problems here people, can I get a witness?' forum") would be interesting.

You're right. I massaged my ego a little bit back there, and man, did it feel good. I was making a point about net culture, however.

All I saw in truthseeker's original post was something like an outline, not what I would call a "summary". Truthseeker asked us to extrapolate a theory from a table of contents. So perhaps people's replies were warranted to some extent. I would urge everyone, when frustrated, to refrain from ad hominem comment. If you do not like someone's post, instead of spinning it by using words such as as "whining," make a mature suggestion to correct the situation.

Truthseeker, how about a couple paragraphs now on your ideas?

John Le Coq

19. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

It sounds that you aren't satisfied with Truthseeker's outline/summary. You have to ask your self if you are not satisfied with the actual outline, or the lack of detail in it so far, or both. What kind of details would you add or get rid of, or if you wanted to scrap the whole thing, how would you start?

I'm trying to lead this into a learning process, and building on ideas, rather than have Truthseeker post something and then have everyone tear it down. Theories are never stable, they have weak points. They are just models.

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Originally posted by Xenu:
    That's why I didn't post anything yet. People attack me before I even start talking. Imagine when I start talking... :bugeye:

Besides that, people attack me instead of attacking my theories. This clearly shows the lack of maturity of some posters. Not talking about the feeling of lack of safety when I start to talk. When I argue against the basis of their lifes, they naturally defend themselves by attacking me. That surely agrees with my other post on Pscychology... the Obscessive Compulsive Rationalists...