Protection against projective identification - resources?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by wynn, Dec 14, 2012.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Not all.
    Futilist, just like other people, has received a variation of responses. How do you explain this variety?

Or just a belated intuition that one should pick one's battles more wisely.

Keeping one's cool and critical thinking skills intact is of vital importance when it comes to, for example, negotiations with one's boss, or if one is a trial lawyer or a professional negotiator, or when one is falsely accused by the other driver for having caused a collision, and other situations of great importance in one's life.

Standing one's ground in online forum pissing matches - not so important.

Although it has been my experience, quite contrary to my hope and prediction, that online forum discussions do not seem to help my CT skills. My main interest in online discussion used to be to practice CT skills, to be better able to deal with real life situations, to have "both courage and critical thinking skills under pressure". But now, I am beginning to realize that it doesn't help much; the benefits are small in comparison to the time and effort that need to be invested.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

No idea what "Buddhist understandings" you could possibly be talking about. Everything I have ever studied on the subject says that suffering arises from desire. Perception and desire (mental formations) are different aggregates. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skandha#The_five_skandhas

Or:
    In the Theravada tradition, suffering arises when one identifies with or clings to an aggregate. Suffering is extinguished by relinquishing attachments to aggregates. -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skandha

But nowhere have I seen these two equated in any sense.

No necessary need for Buddhism though, as the notion of mindfulness has been adopted for secular use in psychology. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness_(psychology)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I said that we perceive according to our desires; our perceptions are informed by our desires. "People see what they want to see" is the popular formulation.
    This is a fairly non-controversial idea.

Indeed, it has been adopted, and most of all, adapted.
    Mindfulness means something quite different in modern Western psychology than it does in traditional Buddhism; although there is also quite a bit of variation within Buddhism on what "mindfulness" means.

According to some Buddhist teachers, mindfulness simply means keeping something in mind.

The real issue is what are the things that ought to be kept in mind, and which are not, and how to do this.
    I've yet to see a Western psychologist or neo-Buddhist address that, or address it with the practical precision as traditional Buddhism does.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Do you have any reference of this in Buddhism, or is this just an unrelated adage?

Apparently you did not read very far into your own link, as it almost immediately goes on to describe mindfulness in much more detail. It even explains what sort of things to be mindful of.

8. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

It is more likely that the benefits to your CT skills are small because your efforts are as well.

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

My my.
    Why don't you read what I write?

Sometimes, I get the impression that you really - really - make an effort not to understand and make an effort to misinterpret what I write.
    Of course, then you blame me.

Riiight.

I keep forgetting that you are God. Silly me!

You've accused me of quote-mining before, when I supported my arguments with references to scriptures.
    That makes me reluctant to continue to present evidence for my claims when talking to you.

There you go, a perfect example of projective identification, a self-fulfilling prophecy.

10. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

More likely just an accurate assessment, based on your post history, of which I have not always been involved. I suppose it is just a coincidence that others happen to project the same characteristics on you.

11. lalalandscape Registered Senior Member

I have concocted a projective identification protective repellent made from physically tested molecular arrangements of self and environment. The procedure occurs as following: encapsulate your self within an inclosed space, remove any objects created through human intellect, close your eyes and suppress all past memories of any human-related activity. This will likely consume a majority of your memories.
    Okay, terrible humor aside, might I assume you are referring to avoiding this occurrence with any specific individual? I don't know, the best I can really say is know your own self and its values, and how to develop these values --- and if others can positively influence deemed self values, let them? It isn't hard to become what you don't want to be when you know what you don't want to be is.

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

It has to do with specific individuals, as well as with societal pressures as such - and the consequences for not giving in to those societal pressures (and I'm not talking about behaviors that are formally specified as illegal/criminal).

For example, being a vegetarian can earn one a lot of criticism from meat-eaters, thus putting one's reputation at work, and thus, one's job in jeopardy.

Then the dilemma becomes: stick to your values and suffer the socio-economic consequences, or give up your values and suffer the loss of meaning and value in life.

13. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

That is prejudice and stereotypes. It has nothing to do with PI.

14. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

The effect is the same.

15. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

PI is all about being caused by "projection", hence the name. There is no inherent projection in your latest example. Perhaps you would like to start a new thread without the specter of PI as a distraction.