Prostate Cancer Treatments

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by KilljoyKlown, Aug 9, 2015.

1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

A couple years ago I was diagnosed with prostrate cancer and was told they had to do the biopsy in order for the insurance companies to pay for treatment. My biopsy required 12 cores and wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be. My total Gleeson score was 8 and I was told that was a fairly aggressive form of prostrate cancer and that starting a treatment soon was advisable. In any event I wanted to research the available treatments before I made any choices.

One thing you have to consider is where you live, may not be able to provide some of the available treatments. I selected a combination of radiation and hormone therapy. The radiation was 45 days not including weekends of x-ray therapy. The hormone therapy means they stop all testosterone production in your body. Another name used by the doctors was chemical castration. This therapy is for two years. For those of you that think low T is bad, try zero T and see how you like it.

I'm coming up on the end of my 2 years and I can barely wait for it to be done. Most of the time your energy is low, and if you need to lose a few pounds you might as well forget it. Not only can you not get it up, you don't really care about sex anymore. I have to tell you, that's a really strange feeling and I try not to let it show when interacting with the opposite sex.

Almost all men that live long enough will have prostrate cancer. The main strategy is to treat it so that something else kills you first. But then that's the strategy for all the issues you might have as you grow older.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

I'm wondering if you thought of the food you have eaten has contributed to this problem?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

I only have cancer when prone. Never prostrate! I hear that some have had cancer while supine, but that's just heresy.

Never forget that violins cause geese to lay backwards!

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

What the **ck are you on about here toad. !!!!!!! seriously.

KilljoyKlown likes this.
  8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yeah, lifestyle probably had a lot to do with how aggressive it was. I have made lots of changes. I'm betting many posters on this forum have had to make decisions concerning their prostrate and I'd like to hear about the choices they made and the reasons for those choices. New treatments are coming out all the time. The x-ray therapy does cause a bit of collateral damage, but I've heard that proton radiation therapy has very little or no collateral damage. If that option had been available to me I would have chose that therapy. Another therapy is they harvest white blood cells and train them to detect the cancer and then inject them back into the body. This is still experimental and very expensive, so insurance won't cover it. I have talked to many other that have had radioactive pellets implanted into their prostrate and have had pretty good success.

9. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Typos or illiteracy. Take your pick.

You do realize that the prostate gland and the prostrate position are different things, I hope.

Maybe you just skim over details and hope you get a pass?

10. river

I don't know guy. But what I do try to do is to stay away from meats that use antibiotics and hormones.

It was maybe 5 or 6 years ago that I read that hormones in the meats that we consume enlarges the prostate. Since then I only consume meats that are hormone and antibiotic free.

11. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

GMO soy with built-in Roundup is more likely, or just advanced age.

And an addendum to my last: Do you always rely on Microsoft's spell-check, or can y'all read and write without outside help?

12. river

Anyway killjoy

Do you or have you now stayed away from these meats that have both?

13. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I do use a spell check but it's not Microsoft and underlines my typos as I type in any type of text box. It's far from perfect, but it's way better than no spell check at all. I've been using it for years now and can't remember where I got it. But I'm sure if you do some searching you can find some that work well enough to get you by and most are free.

14. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

God.

I don't need one. I speak English quite well, and have even been paid to do so.

Have you decided whether your treatment was for postural issues or oncological? Or did your spell (and context, and grammar) checker fail you again?

Do you read actual books, or just watch TV and YouTube? Might be a good place to start..

15. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I do check labels now and avoid those kind of meats and have been for a few years now.

I've also tried several supplement formulations to support the prostrate and bladder and the one I liked best are produced at www.leslabs.com. When you get older and your prostrate starts enlarging, it will tend to make you want to urinate frequently. Which means you get up at night many times every night, so anything you can do cut back on the number of time you need to get up at night the better. A few days after I started taking this supplement I went from 5 - 6 times a night to 2 - 3 times. believe me that's a big deal.

16. river

Whats your age guy?

17. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

18. river

I'm 57

19. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Must be nice to have a young body. I do wish I could do my last 10 years over again, but you only get the one time so you must make the best of what you got in the here and now.

20. river

Hence why I buy organic foods where I can . I still wash them with a vegtable wash soap. And why I have protein, with every meal , vegtables and fruit. And supplements.

I recently bought a NutriBullet machine. Check it out .

21. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I got a Vitamix Blinder for a similar reason.

22. river

Whats the difference between the two? Or is there?

23. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well the Vitamix has a larger mixing bowl and is more convenient to use. But I imagine they are about the same when it comes to grinding everything up into a drinkable mix of whatever. And the NutriBullet is cheaper than the Vitamix.