Proposal to Sandy: Does God exist?

Discussion in 'Formal debates' started by Gondolin, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

That is a possibility...if you like. But I strongly suspect that by defination God must be greater than anything you or I could possibly understand. God would, by definition be greater than the universe. God would know all the mysteries of the universe and beyound the universe. I have a hard enough time just understanding my small piece of the universe.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

* * * * NOTE FROM THE MODERATORS COMMUNITY * * * *
    Someone actually filed a complaint with the moderators about this thread, saying, "There's too much..." of something. This software is a little primitive so I couldn't figure out "too much" of what?

But what there is too much of is TAUNTING SANDY. You have invited her to participate in this formal debate and she has declined. There is nothing wrong with that. You may not like it, but it is within her right and it is not a violation of the rules.

You have then gone on to try to goad her into participating, and you have even made sophomoric attempts to analyze her reasons for declining. She has responded politely in every case, which makes her behavior better than yours.

It is not easy for a person to participate in a formal debate about their religion. Religion, by definition, is irrational, since it is a collection of archetypes: instinctive, primitive beliefs that are preprogrammed into our synapses by evolution. You all insist that Sandy will be safe from criticism in this formal debate but you conveniently ignore the rule that a formal debate must be conducted with scrupulous logic--much more scrupulous than on the other SciForums boards. The first time Sandy says something illogical, e.g. "supporting" her hypothesis with a quote from the Bible, you will be all over her like a pack of stoats.

Please desist immediately from this campaign of trying to goad Sandy into participating. You have asked, she has declined, you have asked if she's sure, she has insisted that she is sure. IT IS OVER.

Any further posts along this line are TROLLING and WARNINGS will be issued. Frankly, some of the ones I've seen come pretty close to personal insults too. Wouldn't it be ironic if some of you guys got nailed for rule violations instead of Sandy?

LET IT GO. If the whole purpose of starting this thread was to cajole Sandy into entering enemy territory so you could rip her apart with your superior reasoning skills, you have failed to accomplish it. You might as well close the thread in that case.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I guess people sorta do have an obsession with sandy..

btw, whats a stoat ? and where are they found ?.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

fool,
    oh im sorry have i got to behave?
    the entire thread shows the ignorance and lack of abiluty at conceptualisation by t starter.

lets debate the exsistence of god
    oh puh leeeeeeez

you cannot comprehend the nature of god
    it lies outside of your comprehension

8. John99 Banned Banned

Shaytan.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

aaaahhhhh.

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

How can one say definitively that there is no God when we only can see only 5 percent of one Universe? We do not know what 95 percent of our universe is, and many are ready to deny God. Seems kind of premature for all knowing humans to come to that conclusion.
    http://science.hq.nasa.gov/universe/science/dark_energy.html

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

At best you can say you are agnostic. But if you did a T account listing all the reasons/proof for God there would be more than for claims against.

11. Myles Registered Senior Member

Give it a rest because you are just boring.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I understand, but we're scientists here and we're supposed to know how to handle problems scientifically. If you think someone is being foolish (or whatever) the way to demonstrate the superiority of your own system of discourse is NOT to be foolish yourself! Dispute her premises, identify flaws in her reasoning, challenge her evidence, discredit her sources... call the whole thing an extraordinary assertion and demand extraordinary substantiation if it's serious enough. Dissect an entire argument and show that the scientific method has been violated or even flouted.

But don't get personal! Okay?
    The stoat is a species of weasel, Mustela erminea, a member of the mustelid family of carnivores which also includes the mink, otters, ferrets, badgers, polecats, the wolverine, martens, the tayra and the fisher. Stoats are found in almost all of the artic, subarctic, and colder northern temperate regions of the continents of the Northern Hemisphere, and were very recently introduced to New Zealand where they have wrought havoc on the ecosystem. (An ill-advised attempt to solve the ecological problem caused by the equally foolish introduction of rabbits.)

Stoats have lovely brown fur which molts and is replaced by a snowy white pelt in the winter. During that season they are known as ermines and are hunted for their hide.

In the USA and Canada the stoat is usually called the short-tailed weasel.

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I would be curious to see sandy debating. I've never seen her use logic and reason... :scratchin:

14. sandy Banned Banned

And I've never seen you use kindness or consideration when addressing me so I will not be debating you or anyone else.

15. sandy Banned Banned

Thank you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  16. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

***Lock this thread already*** Sandy did say no and so this thread is no longer of use.....the end.

17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yeah.... I know I can be an asshole when talking with people like you...

Meh... I'm not perfect. Only God is... :shrug:

18. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

That is truth

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

So why isn't the thread locked? :shrug:

She was asked, she declined, case closed....

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Another moderator message:

Members are reminded that "Proposal" threads in the Formal Debates subforum are for the purpose of defining a topic for formal debate, agreeing on participants and agreeing the format of the debate.

This is NOT a place to debate the topic.

Informal debates may be held in any of the other subforums (e.g. Religion).

If you are unsure what the Formal Debates forum is all about, please read the sticky threads at the top of the topic list.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.