Proposal: Ban "Undecided" from WE&P for one week

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by EI_Sparks, Jan 20, 2004.

?

Ban "Undecided" from WE&P for one week

Poll closed Jan 24, 2004.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Given that this "revenge" requires the approval of a majority of peers and myself, it sounds more like "justice". One is free to bring petty fueds here, but they'll fail miserably unless they are backed up by general community support.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Only a temporary ban..and limited to WE&P. And I don't think its based on revenge...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Tolerance has nothing to do with 'agreeing'. It has to do with maturity and giving respect to other opinions..even if they're stupid. If intolerance was the cause of this 'intolerance' the poll can be justified.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

As I've already said, this isn't my idea, it's porfiry's. It's not personal revenge. (I'd be rather depressed if I ever got to the stage where I felt I needed personal revenge on an anonymous poster on an internet forum).

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Will banning him for a week provide you comfort for 7 days or change his behavior towards the forum? I am betting it is the former since you're mistaken if you are expecting the latter.

9. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

porfiry

i didn´t think this proposal had any chance .... thing is that such propasals are in most cases just made to demonize some people ( of course with the intention to get increasing support for their "proposal" )

xerxes

only ? come on , that´s lame ...
    btw , of course it is revenge - you should search for threads by sparks in sitefeedback - and you´ll see eventually

10. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Maybe it could function as a trial period.. Give him a chance to become more tolerant in that time instead of sending him to the corner.

11. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

I'm hoping for the latter SL, but the idea of banning someone permanently without any prior warning or lesser sanction doesn't sit well with me. It's too nonlinear.

12. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Now that is an idea, Sparks. A great idea...

13. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

SP there are prior threads from me in SiteFeedback because this problem has existed in WE&P for as long as I've been posting here, and I've brought it up before. None of this is hidden.

14. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Fair enough. But that doesn't invalidate the process, does it? The mere existence of a community process encourages all users to abide by community standards. As long as this process is not abused, this is entirely positive to the community.

15. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

because this problem has existed in WE&P for as long as I've been posting here

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

you still don´t see the real problem , do you

16. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

SP, I'm rather sure that my expectation of basic civility isn't the problem.

17. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

Two valid questions to my mind about this process however, are
    1. How should the poll be announced in WE&P - in a seperate thread or sticky, or in the thread the offensive behaviour is in? Should a PM be used to notify the object of the thread?
    2. Should there be a minimum number of votes required in total to render a poll valid?

18. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

porfiry , what about a third option ?

yes
    no
    ban the poster of this proposal

i think it would decrease enormously the number of such proposals ! ( though we just have this one case

)

19. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

1.it shouldn´t be announced in we&p ( or anywhere else )
    2.yes , at least 100 ( if anyone is a real problem - you get enough votes )

perhaps you can´t see this but you are crying for support !!!
    if undecided would be a problem , you wouldn´t need to do it

20. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

SP, if you feel that I should be banned for bringing this proposal, why not simply put a proposal forward yourself, rather than build in a mechanism for discouraging people from using the open government forum?

21. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

SP, we don't have a hundred regular posters in WE&P in total. And of course this thread has to be announced, to Undecided by PM at the very, very least. To not do so would be kafkaesque in the extreme.

22. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

Indeed I am - I asked the moderators for moderatorship and this is the response. Personally, I think it's workable and justified (if not horribly overdue).

23. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

i meant you are crying TOO MUCH for support , you try to demonize undecided !
    he has made great posts and gave a lot to we&p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.