"Proper" moderation of Religion subforum

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Mr. Hamtastic, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Personally, if people want to have their wartime threads, I say let them. Those threads which are attempting to address a topic rationally should be able to get off-topic posts and series of posts eliminated. IE-If I want to discuss a verse in the bible, and whether it has applications outside of christianity, I should feel no fear to do so. I should not have the foreknowledge that there will be endless commentary on the untruth of the bible, or how God is evil, or how I could be so deluded, or how christianity is sun worship, etc. Those posts should be considered off-topic and deleted. I know skinwalker is busy, and can't chase down every post, perhaps a second moderator for the area, because of its being the source for so many fires.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Hear! Hear!

I have been studying religion for most of my life and plan to study it the rest of my life.
    In fact, my goal is to get an advanced degree in Anthropology from with a Comparative Religion focus.
    I am VERY interested in religions, obviously, even though I am a member of none.

There is little more frustrating to me than starting a thread about X statement Jesus made and getting 15 people responding with, "Jesus never existed", "God is stupid", "You can't make sense out of delusional bullshit" and "It doesn’t matter, you stupid Christian".

People who come into a perfectly valid discussion about, for example, the nature of God as depicted in the Old Testament, spouting reasons why God does not exist are not adding to the topic in any way and, indeed are intending to derail the topic from its subject and should be dealt with as trolls because that is exactly what they are doing.
    Their posts should be deleted.

If the intention is to discuss the ecumenical implications of including the Old Testament in the Bible and someone comes on arguing that the Bible is all bullshit, then that is not only trolling, it is preaching - both which are supposedly strictly prohibited in the rules.

This is supposed to be a science forum and the scientific way to discuss religions is to talk about the Anthropological impact and force; to talk about the history of the belief of peoples; to talk about the social impact; to talk about, for example, the role of religion in historical epochs, such as WWII; to talk about the roots and evolution of religion from a sociology point of view; to talk about what this religion or that one teaches.
    Take a look in the Eastern Philosophy section to see a fine example of how a religious subforum cand and should be.
    Going into valid threads such as these and preaching about the absurdity of religious beliefs should not be tolerated on a science site.

In addition, any thread started with the intention to bash any religion should be moved to Free Thoughts or the Cesspool – if not deleted.

NO preaching should be tolerated – whether it be FOR religion or AGAINST religion.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Invoke the alpha rules.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

No one should have to.
    This is already part of the site rules.
    No trolling - no preaching.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Just in case its not clear, I agree with both of you.

9. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

What happened to the points system? Could we just report all such off-topic, trolling, preaching posts, and let the guilty parties accrue their points towards banishment?

I fear this, because the system could be abused. That's why I suggest an additional moderator.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats what the alpha rules are, the OP can request the moderator to remove the off topic posts. Not sure how well the mods cooperate on this

11. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

In case it isn't clear, I also agree with both of you, and myself.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Wouldn't that lead to inundation of the mods, though?

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

14. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I vote for no moderation at all

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

If people want to discuss a particular religious point, that is fine.

I will be happy to delete off-topic posts that try to divert the topic into a discussion of the existence of god(s), etc.

I agree that it is ridiculous that people with one-issue agendas should be allowed to derail every thread with their pet topic. And this is not restricted to religious discussions.

A caveat: be careful how you frame your threads. If you invite atheist comments or criticise atheism in a discussion of religion, you're fair game for atheists to refute you.

And the rule against preaching still applies. Do not copy huge slabs of your favorite religious text. That information is available elsewhere.

In summary, I am in favour of critical discussion of religion (and by "critical" I don't necessarily mean negative, but at least reflective), but preaching will not be tolerated.

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

i made some perfectly logical and on topic posts about what atheists believe in a thread called "atheism=theism" only to have them removed to another thread called "religious commentary on abiogenesis"
    this was unfair of skinwalker to do that.
    the posts that were removed wasn't a religious commentary at all, it was evidence of how atheists believe in something that hasn't been proven.
    the very fact that they were removed is further evidence of how uncomfortable atheists get when their BELIEFS are questioned.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

In your opinion.

18. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Please stick to the topic at hand.
    Start your own thread if you want to complain about him breakign threads for a more cohesive discussion.

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

20. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Given the state of many of the threads in Religion, it would have to be an active moderation.
    Is SkinWalker behind this as well, and does he have the time to play such an active role?

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

huh?
    isn't this thread about "proper moderation of the religion forum"?

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

then maybe you can explain how my posts were off topic?

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

OK.
    Fair enough, I guess.