Proof that creation is wrong?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by davewhite04, Dec 21, 2018.

1. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

No spidergoat, you are looking at this all wrong. You are simply applying tricks of the mind, "subconcious". It wasn't any of that, or the predictions, it was what it felt like, amazing it was about 3 foot above my body. To check I wasn't hallucinating, I asked if it would wait while I have a fag, I had my smoke and went back, still there

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

But you didn't ask another person if they saw the same thing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

But even if he doesn't tell you, you might know that people use the bus to get to work, so they probably don't come every 2 hours in the morning. Likewise, you know that they don't come every 10 seconds from observation. So right away you have a sense of how often they _probably_ come. You might be wrong, of course. But if you are right, that's not mystical - it's just an informed guess.
    There's a branch of neuroscience that studies religious experiences, and we now know some things that can cause them. For example, researcher Andrew Newberg is a neuroscientist at the Myrna Brind Center for Integrative Medicine, and he wrote a book on neurotheology. Through functional brain imaging and EEG studies he has been able to observe the chemical and metabolic changes in the brain that occur when someone has a "religious experience." For example, one thing he discovered "is that intensely focused spiritual contemplation triggers an alteration in the activity of the brain that leads one to perceive transcendent religious experiences as solid, tangible reality. In other words, the sensation that Buddhists call oneness with the universe."

His book - Why God Won't Go Away - is worth a read.

Imrul Huq and davewhite04 like this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

No objective evidence. Pointless to you, and your view is pointless to me.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Reason is pointless to you and not to me. Which means you embrace the irrational, and I can dismiss what you assert as being without merit, more like the imaginings of a child than demonstrable knowledge.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

It doesn't actually mean that. At least any more than for any other human being.

He had a personal experience. He is free to apply his own interpretation. He is not asserting it as objective truth, or asking anyone else to verify, or defending it.
    He gets to do that, and should be able to do so without persecution.

If, on the other hand, he insisted that you take his interpretation seriously, then you would be free to judge it and react.

davewhite04 likes this.
  10. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

You've got the makings of a good moderator

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

DaveC426913 likes this.
  11. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

It's hard to even attempt to reason anything out of my experience, believe me I've tried.