Proof that creation is wrong?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by davewhite04, Dec 21, 2018.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

You can blame whoever you like - Obama, Trump, the FDA. Up to you. Science doesn't much deal in blame.

But if you want to apply science to the problem, it can determine which compounds in the toothpaste caused the damage you saw.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

You can indeed. Claiming that you can't be sure of anything is bothsiderism, which says that any two opinions (i.e. the Earth is flat vs the Earth is round) are equally valid - because no one can be sure.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Given that there are Christian religions that allow female ministers, gay clergy, contraception - I'd say it evolves a lot. Heck, a Pope recently accepted evolution itself.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I'd blame Trump.

8. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Not equally valid. One(science) will have a lot more evidence then the other(religion).

I didn't say you can't be sure of anything... but again with this, you can't.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

So, you assert you can't be sure of any knowledge, but you don't assert that you can't be sure of any thing...

10. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

"I didn't say you can't be sure of anything... but again with this, you can't." - Me

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

Ah. So when you said "You can't be sure of any knowledge full stop" you meant "you can't be sure of some things." I would agree with that.
    There you go. No need for science _or_ religion there.

12. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

What can you be sure of?

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

That Maxwell's equations work for electronics design.

14. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

That's more like a bird evolving different colored feathers. Just window dressing. It also shows that the religion's inviolable laws aren't.

15. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Man-made lightning will kill you as easily as god's wrath.

16. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

It works 100% of the time are you suggesting?

17. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I don't agree, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Francis.

You can't be sure of anything other than you'll die one day. But what if they release a tablet for eternal life?

18. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Cute anecdote.
    That would be a curse.

19. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Compare that to science.

20. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I agree. So why is Satan the villain? God wanted us to be eternal beings with no freewill. Did God plan this all along? Is God the bad guy/prankster?

Another theist thread, that no theist will debate no doubt.

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yes.

22. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

If there was a pill that would give me life for a year, feeling no worse than I do now, for a reasonable price, I'd buy it.

23. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

All this speculation forgets one small step in the process.

Before one starts into working out the finer details of god you need to establish that this god is real or are you simply inviting folk to flesh out a fairy tale character....and if you come down on the god is real side perhaps identify if god has made known any of the aspects that are freely discussed as if the teller of the yarn has specific knowledge of this yet to be established god characteristics.

What is the point of speculating as to god being a prankster if you have yet to establish a reasonable case for its reality.

These "is god this or that" threads seems like children spooking themselves with ghost stories...sure we get to talk about ghosts but they are just make believe right.
    Alex