Prolonged daily sitting linked to 3.8 percent of all-cause deaths

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Plazma Inferno!, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

A new study in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine found that sitting for more than 3 hours per day is responsible for for approximately 433,000, or 3.8% of all-cause mortality deaths across the 54 nations in the study. Investigators also estimate that reducing sitting time to less than 3 hours per day would increase life expectancy by an average of 0.2 years.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-03/ehs-pds032316.php

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Youtube home workout videos

Plazma Inferno! likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yeah okay, I'll get right on it. I'm not a high-energy guy and I appreciate being able to spend a lot of time sitting down. I go to the gym 3 times a week, and when I'm sitting I'm careful to stand up for ten minutes every now and then.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Silver80 Registered Member

It's not necessarily that sitting is an 'intrinsic part of human nature', it's actually a part of a lot of people's daily working life. And this study doesn't say anything about the overall health/diet/lifestyle/family history of the people involved. How do they know it's the sitting that caused the early deaths? Where the control case?
    Of course, I am writing this while sitting down, and have been for most of the day, so maybe I'm just in denial...

exchemist likes this.
  8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I think I can get around this by lying down a lot more.

9. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Or by ignoring it, because all you would be sacrificing is 2 1/2 months of life on average, according to their figures.

Rarely have I come across a less compelling case for adjusting my lifestyle.