Programming the subconscious

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by apendrapew, Dec 15, 2004.

1. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

A while back, Wanderer made a post about how we are always at the mercy of our subconscious. I'm sure that most of you from time to time become convinced (as I have) that your subconscious is sabotaging you for an unknown reason.

While it's true that the subconscious controls almost everything we do, we can still use it to do cool things, such as calculation. Think about the awesome calculating power needed to lift your arm. [Increase bloodflow to anterior deltoid, contract protagonist muscles 15% (and all the subprocesses involved in those two)]. You get the gist. It seems a shame that we cannot use that kind of power doing homework! It calculates instantly and effortlessly.

I was good at Physics because I am a visual person and I was able to make relationships organic in my mind. When I was introduced to the inverse square law or any equation for that matter, I would just sit there and understand the meaning of it. It wouldn't sit in my mind as symbols or as images or anything. The relationship of the variables existed as an emotion. That's when it has become organic, a part of you. After that, making calculations based on the equation is 3rd grade arithmetic.

It seems emotions are how the subconscious talks to you. If you're quiet enough, you can hear. Sometimes you feel it talking to you, but you ignore it and realize it was telling you to avoid eating the sushi after it was too late. Oh well.

I believe genius is a combination of a superior brain, but even more, discipline and knowing how to use its facilities. Most people have decent brains but have no idea of how to use them. I get depressed in math class because of how stupid most of the people are. It's sometimes hard to wrap my head around it. I don't know if it's because I'm getting smarter or if the people around me are getting dumber. But I comfort myself knowing that there is hope for those with desire to get serious and improve themselves. Screw the rest of them.