Prognathism

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by DeepThought, May 27, 2008.

1. DeepThought Banned Banned

A discussion of race will devolve into meaninglessness without examining physical characteristics like prognathism, which I hope to start a thread on soon.

Prognathism is the forward projection of the front of the face, resulting in a protruding, larger jaw and a more flattened cranium with sloping forehead. It's a physical characteristic common to a large proportion of sub-Saharan Africans and is associated with a Neanderthal like appearance amongst modern humans.

In the image below of Martin Luther King, prognathism is clearly visible.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Uh no its not. Its just a positional relationship of the mandible and/or maxilla to the skeletal base where either of the jaws protrudes beyond a predetermined imaginary line in the sagittal plane of the skull.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DeepThought Banned Banned

It's a deformity amongst human populations like Europeans and Asians, whereas amongst sub-Saharan Africans it's the norm with strong evolutionary connotations.

You can clearly see Luther Kings jaw protrudes forwards.

:shrug:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Uh no its not a deformity. Its just a description of a positional relationship. Its Jay Leno and Lionel Ritchie.

You been sipping at the Pyrrhian spring again haven't you?

8. DeepThought Banned Banned

Prove that Lionel Ritchie has prognathism.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Just look at his jaw.

Here is a good example

Here is another

10. DeepThought Banned Banned

So you agree that MLK had prognathism?

Look again at the image below, the jaw clearly protrudes forward. This is accompanied by a sloping forehead. :shrug:

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think you are confused about the term. It has nothing to do with the forehead.

12. DeepThought Banned Banned

I think the confusion has arisen because you are using the term in a medical sense, whereas I am using it from an anthropological perspective, to describe a primitive physical trait.

This physical trait is accompanied by a receding forehead, indicating that the upper region of the brain has not been able to develop like it has in other humans. Nature has been gradually removing prognathism for hundreds of millions of years, even back as far as the dinosaurs, who had huge jaws and pea sized brains:

Considering the hominid fossil record, I would think this point is beyond contention.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

There is no "medical" sense for spatial arrangements. The terms are all anthropological. And the posts are going beyond the scope of the thread so I will move them to appropriate fora

14. DeepThought Banned Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prognathism

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

There you go!

16. DeepThought Banned Banned

Uh?

That's what I said in the first place, sub-Saharan Africans are naturally prognathic. I never said it was a deformity that required correction.

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

18. DeepThought Banned Banned

Obviously, whoever wrote the entry didn't feel the need to go into it, or lacked knowledge of it. Presumably because this article was less concerned with the anthropological aspects.

Strange though (or should I say frightening?), the confluence between prognathism in sub-Saharan Africans and receding foreheads, and how this mirrors the evolutionary record?

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Since prognos is about forward (as in prognosis), it would be extremely strange if it was about receding foreheads

20. DeepThought Banned Banned

Your a biologist, what term would you use to describe this combination?

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Gee lets see. Where does the imaginary line of the sagittal plane of the skull begin in a receding forehead? Does it mean a larger brain size?

22. DeepThought Banned Banned

It means a smaller, more compressed brain since the upper cranium has not risen, allowing brain expansion.

The frontal and parietal lobes would be less developed than in the above example, which is a typical European profile.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Oh, do you have data on the compressed brains vs the noncompressed brains?