Profanity why?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Xelasnave.1947, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:19 AM.

1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Why do some members use profanity as a default position?

Is it not against the site rules?

Does the user really think their argument gains in quality when it is apparent the opposite is more likely.

Some here sound like children having a tantrum.

Do they think they sound tuff and intimidating?

Why use a bad word when with a small effort one could select a word that may offer a clear meaning.

Seems rude, childish and lazy.

Alex

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Since you threaded the subject, I remembered that I wanted to mention to you that I would rather be fucked than damned. Horse or no...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I think you illustrate there is a place in humour.
    As with generalisations, generally speaking, you can catch fish other than the target species.

I suppose what I would like to see is the site to be a little bit better.

May you get your preference.

Alex

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 345 Valued Senior Member

By the horse or the Devil?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

I think profanity is ok when used for humor or to convey a feeling of frustration when trying to make a point. The main problem with these online communities is the sheer lack of civility (profanity used or not) when debating different opinions.

sculptor likes this.
  9. DrKrettin Registered Member

I don't think that there is much correlation between civility and profanity. Also, it appears that not all English-speaking cultures react the same way. I am always amazed at how offended some people in the USA are with the slightest profanity - say "hell" and they will shoot you (that's OK). This maybe way off the reality, but that's the impression I get. Contrast with Yorkshire, UK, where "foook" is an obligatory interjection into every sentence.

sideshowbob likes this.
  10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

from profane
    to
    profanity
    curious that
    from treating something sacred with disrespect
    to
    blasphemous or obscene language.

OK
    I can get "God damn it"
    but then,
    "fucking" ?

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Sparingly, profanity can work as humour.
    Sparingly, profanity can enhance the message, much like emoticons do ("I am not merely angry, I'm really angry").

But sometimes profanity is used when eloquence in communication fail. They are used like a baseball bat.

Profanity is like exclamation marks; use either one gratuitously and the message loses it effectiveness. Continued misuse can cause the ineffectuality of the words to become an ineffectuality of the speaker!!!!!!!1

sideshowbob likes this.
  12. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

13. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I dont know... i just know that i never find a need to cuss.!!!

14. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Due to decades of gratuitous overuse in even the formal information sphere, traditional profanity no longer has shock-value or serves as an adequate emotional purgative, anyway. It's all been demoted to "heck" and "darn" magnitude in terms of effect, apart from the extremely limited domain of (American) broadcast network censorship trying desperately to keep a couple of its once treasured words still taboo.

Violations of political and empathetic correctness have taken over the "swift impact" function of classic types of impiety (i.e., that is what has the shock-value & the consequences now). Which is why an onlooker today has to hesitate a couple of instants to evaluate whether or not a person is just "cussing" / "having a fit" or they're someone who really does have a peacock tail of enmity / pathology splayed behind their buttocks. A novice SJW universally judging every instance of incorrectness as a maximum act of evil -- like the overzealous prudes of old did -- can face a modicum of embarrassment for some of their past self-righteousness when / if they develop in the future the cognitive maturity for distinguishing the two contexts.

15. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I suppose I judge before a case is prosecuted but I find the defendants guilty of the crime of poor writing.

Your writing is a pleasure which unfolds before one much like an interesting path passing by objects of wonder and your style illustrates the beauty of expression free of words that can take upon all and any meaning but require no ability to use but to me reveal a blunder.
    Alex