Pro life or Pro choice

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by sifreak21, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't think a generalization like that would have to be supported. Really? Certainly you would agree that when people do force their views upon others it doesn't go well.

Depends on what they're disagreeing with. I believe that just with any rights of expression and free practice, when one group begins to interfere with other's rights, then the line has been crossed. Should we do a WWII history lesson in the middle of an abortion thread?

Can't believe that someone disagreed with basic human rights. Well, yes I can.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

And people have the right to be stupid. And greedy. And lusty. And they have the right to follow up on thoughts that pop up in their mind. And they have their right to not be discerning.

And, of course, they have the right to determines what happens with their own bodies.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The Difficult Proposition

Which comes back to a core argument of the pro-life faction. To them, a woman determining what happens inside her own body and choosing to terminate a pregnancy violates the rights of the fetus to govern its own body.

Yet that is a difficult proposition that leaves a basic question unanswered:

What is a pregnant woman's status as a human being?

What is unique about the decision to terminate a pregnancy, compared to getting a tattoo or dyeing one's hair, is that the fetal "human" exists inside another human being's body. This is an aspect that the pro-life argument seems uncomfortable addressing. It is my belief that even if we concede the life-at-conception argument, we must still reconcile this question, lest we relegate women to the status of the proverbial reproductive factory. I am aware that pro-life advocates loathe that idea, and consider the baby factory point hyperbole, but in the end it is a necessary outcome of the life-at-conception argument against abortion; it must be resolved in order to legitimize the life-at-conception anti-abortion argument.

But, as far as the United States is concerned, the supreme law of the land does not recognize the life-at-conception argument as a viable consideration:

Texas urges that, apart from the Fourteenth Amendment, life begins at conception and is present throughout pregnancy, and that, therefore, the State has a compelling interest in protecting that life from and after conception. We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, at this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer.

(Blackmun)

Notes:

Blackmun, J. "Opinion of the Court". Roe v. Wade. January 22, 1973. Legal Information Institute at Cornell University Law School. February 3, 2012. http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0410_0113_ZO.html

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

Doctors treating their patients, as in the case cited above as a prime example, is PC to you? I guess people like you will find any excuse to justify anything.":shrug:"

If the pro-life crowd have their way, it will be a prosecutable murder. That is the problem.

Oh here we go.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You never stated that you are against any and all abortions but you view abortions as being "murder". Your words are taken literally Signal. You never put in a 'but' in any of your comments in this thread. Quite the contrary, you went out of your way to repeat over and over again that you believe abortion is "murder". Meh, what's the point really? This is classic you. You're just not worth it.

Why should everyone be clear and use your definition of abortion?

Why should everyone refer to abortion as "murder"?

I think we are all clear on how you view abortion. Good for you. Your definition is your own and mine is my own. Which brings this round to what Rhaedas earlier commented on.

Okay.. If that is your opinion, good on you.:shrug:

I just don't think you are worth any effort or time. Not contempt.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  8. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

I think you mean the anti-choice crowd, there.

You know, as opposed to the "pro-murder" crowd?

I guess the implication is the he's not against "any and all" murders? I'd love to hear exactly which baby murders are okay in his book.

9. Bells Staff Member

Fixed!

"He" is a "she". Thus far she has referred to abortion as murder and that doctors perform abortions because they don't want the 'child' to be born and grow. Mothers are also in the same category.

Then she claims that at no time has she said she is against 'choice'.

Looking back at Wynn's participation on the subject of abortion, one sees a yoyo poster. She will go around so many bends that she will lose herself and contradict herself repeatedly. Might I suggest a strong alcoholic drink and snacks as you watch her run circles around herself trying to not explain her actual position on the issue? The alcohol makes it mildly tolerable.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:m:

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

wynn:

And when you step on an ant you also have an intention to kill. Is that murder too?

Murder is the unlawful killing of a person, remember.

And when a cancerous tumour is cut out, the intent is also to kill the tumour. Is this cancer-murder?

Nonsense.

The reasons women have abortions are many and varied. It sounds like you're just guessing vaguely at what you suppose women may want. Maybe you ought to investigate this further.

It is worth mentioning at this point that many abortions are NOT what the mother wants. She would like to have a healthy baby, but her own health or the health of the child dictates that abortion is the humane option.

The intention may be to save the mother's life, to take one counterexample. The unavoidable side-effect is the death of the foetus.

Those poor ants! I think you should be locked up for life without parole.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Mind Over Matter:

Another problem in society is the tendency to look at things as black or white issues, with no middle ground. Either a fetus is an adult, or it's just useless tissue; there's no in-between.

Pro-lifers often fail to appreciate that a foetus does not have the same capacities as a child, let alone an adult.

Also, pro-lifers are almost invariably hypocritical in that they do not care about "life" per se - they only care about one very specific type of life. Many self-proclaimed pro-lifers actually support the death penalty. Go figure.

Why? What's so special about human beings?

And why is the same protection and inviolability not accorded to cattle or dogs?

Here's the pro-life argument:

1. Killing a human being is wrong.
    2. An unborn foetus is a human being.
    3. Therefore, killing an unborn foetus is wrong.

This argument is often attacked by attacking point 2. However, it is quite possible to mount a case attacking point 1 as well, on a number of different grounds.

So, Scott is ignoring at least half of the possible pro-choice arguments.

Which suggests to me that a lot of people consider an unborn foetus to be different from a 2 year old in some morally-significant way. Imagine that.

Analogously, what would the world be like if we considered a 7-year old child to be different to an adult? Such a thing would be unthinkable, wouldn't it? Obviously, adult = 7-year-old = 2-year-old = foetus, in every respect. Right?

I don't think that any pro-choice advocate who has looked at the matter in any depth would argue that a foetus is not human. On the other hand, I would quite happily argue that it is not a [enc]person[/enc] in the relevant sense.

It seems you and Scott have missed the point of the fire thought-experiment. The point you should have got from it is that we as human beings value the worth of a foetus differently from the worth of a 2 year old. Moreover, we also value the worth our own offspring differently from the worth of strangers. (There are good evolutionary explanations for both attitudes, by the way.)

Consider another lab fire, where the choice is to save the human embryos or an ant farm. What do you think most people would do then?

What about a fire where you have to choose the embryos or a box of cute puppies?

Really? Interesting.

Do you think that because you find the procedure "gory" that this is a good argument not to allow it? Is this an appeal to people's sense of disgust?

A lot of people don't want to watch footage of brain surgery or open heart surgery either. Do you think if you forced them to watch such things, they would get up in arms in a crusade against heart transplants?

12. Balerion Banned Banned

My first experience with abortion came at 14 years old, albeit in second-hand fashion. The girl I had been dating for a few months (take "dating" with a grain of salt; I was 14, after all, which basically meant we were humping in her mom's basement three times a week) revealed to me that her last boyfriend had gotten her pregnant, and she had chosen to terminate the pregnancy. The decision still troubled her, and several times I sat with her while she tried to reconcile her regret with the knowledge that she simply wasn't in any position to have a child at that point in her life. I certainly didn't know yet all that I would about abortion, but it bothered me, and it still does. It doesn't feel "right," if that makes sense.

But I also understand that if she had taken the pregnancy to term, her life would have been turned upside down. For many girls, pregnancy simply isn't an option at that age. Not without derailing their entire lives, perhaps irrevocably.

But I don't want to turn this into an appeal to the pro-lifer. I believe the mother should be given priority in all cases, at all times, as the fetus is growing inside her body. The comparison to slavery that I've read here and elsewhere does not apply, because in no situation has a slave ever been a physical part of its master's body. The mother-child dynamic is entirely unique, and should be treated as such. Once the child is born and lives in society, then society may have a say in what can and cannot be done to the child, but while that child is still in the womb, it is no one's say but the mother's.

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

In this world, those who pay, get to have the say.

Why do you like this principle in some cases (when it suits you), but not in some other cases (when it suits someone else)?

14. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Some people actually make a living as caricaturists ...

15. keith1 Guest

I haven't piped in here, because I don't really care. My children are out of college and happily in the workforce. They are martial arts experts, and are well adjusted.
    Thank you all for maintaining the proper behavior while that was going on, to allow that to occur. I am finished here on this subject.

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Then the system of compulsory education and the judicial/penal system need to be abolished, since they clearly interfere with those rights.

Apathy - letting people "do with their bodies" as they please - has disastrous results from which everyone suffers.

17. Balerion Banned Banned

How so? And I don't mean give me some run-around about how apathy as a general principal is bad for society--I mean explain to me how allowing for women to have abortions has had disastrous results from which everyone suffers.

18. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Beliefs or behaviors that are increasingly frequent become the new standard of normalcy, regardless of what the beliefs and behaviors actually are.

And people have to align themselves with whatever the standards of normalcy are, or they suffer isolation and expulsion from society and worklife.

Via this, a lot of harm gets done.

So, for example, it becomes the norm to have sex even when one doesn't desire to have children, or it becomes the norm to eat meat or drink alcohol.
    People who don't go along with these norms, risk expulsion from society, given that they don't fit in.
    Acting in line with those norms, however, brings about many undesired consequences that bring a lot of suffering - from drunk driving to unwanted pregnancies.

Apathy - letting people "do with their bodies" as they please - has disastrous results from which everyone suffers.

A welcoming attitude toward abortion is just one example of this apathy.

If you have no problem living in a society where people feel no scruples over harming and killing themselves or others for the sake of pleasure then any discussion on this topic is rather meaningless ...

19. Balerion Banned Banned

When has it not been the norm for people to have sex despite not wanting children, or eat meat and drink alcohol? Are you on rumspringa, or something?

Your slippery-slope theory is based on the false premise that these things are somehow new developments to society, and therefore holds no water. And just for the record, both teen pregnancy rates and drunk driving-related deaths in the US are down.

Quite the non-sequitur there.

Also, you ducked the question. In what way does abortion have disastrous impact on society, and how does it make everyone suffer?

And I never said I had no problem with abortion. I said quite the opposite, in fact. Being pro-choice does not have to mean one is comfortable with the idea. It just means that one puts the priority on the mother's right to choose what happens to and within her body.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  20. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

It depends on what you count as "new" and in what geographical location.
    If you only look at the last 50 years or so, or whether you observe a few centuries; whether you only consider the US, or also the rest of the world.

This is one of those value-based facts that one either acknowledges, or doesn't.

Eventually, it means precisely that.

No, it means that the scope of what is considered valid focus on the matter is narrowed down to a few factors that seem convenient enough to consider.

21. Balerion Banned Banned

This is beside the point. I specifically said I was not interested in how apathy as a concept was harmful to society; I said I was only interested in your assertion as to how legal abortions are a threat to society. I'm not going to allow you to cloud the issue with this subterfuge.

In order to acknowledge a value-based fact, one has to assign a value to it. That you have now twice failed to do so indicates that you can't actually substantiate your claim that allowing abortions can/will/does have a disastrous impact on society.

In other words, you said it for effect.

Of course it doesn't. I'm pro-choice and have never been comfortable with the idea of killing a fetus. You don't have to like something to believe it is the right thing to do.

So I ask again: what are the factors we're not considering? What are the factors we ignore on the basis of convenience?

22. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Of course you do. Or you are confused.

If you think it is normal and healthy to engage in an activity the natural consequences of which you know but do not want, then there isn't much I can say.

23. Balerion Banned Banned

That's absurd. I don't like the idea of being sedated, having my chest cut open, my ribs pulled apart, and my heart stopped; that doesn't mean I wouldn't let it happen if I needed a bypass.

Translation: "I can't answer the question, so I'm just going to pretend it isn't worth answering."

You lose, honey.