Pro and contra

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Julie, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Julie Registered Member

:m: It goes without saying that television is one of the greatest inventions of XXth century.But TV really became a curse and a real disaster. Orson Welles said:"I hate television.I hata it as much as peanuts.But I can't stop eating peanuts."As for me,people can easily go without television.Do you agree or not?Fot you is TV:
    --useless
    --a curse
    --a time waste
    --more a blessing for humanity ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2003
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

depends, i spend more time that im not at school HERE so is this an adiction i should stop?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

People can easily go without Television. Last year I couldn't stop watching TV, I was hooked. But now I only watch TV on rare occasions, I watch roughly an hour a week.

People can easily live without it, I thought I couldn't but I can.

PEOPLE, FREE YOURSELF!! But if you wanna be slaves to the glowing box, also fine with me

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

The good:
    • It serves well as a method of disseminating information.
    • A story is told faster if more senses are used in percieving it. A book relies on passing data through only one sense. TV passes data through two senses.
    • It might be that the fast passing of images increases one's ability to quickly gather visual data.

The bad:
    • It serves well as a method of disseminating biased information.
    • Due to the cost of broadcasting, and time constraints, stories told through TV are rarely as thorough as those told through books.
    • It might be that having images presented to us, rather than imagining them ourselves based on what we read, hampers the development of imagination, hampers our creativity.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

depends what's on it.

9. A Canadian Why talk? When you can listen? Registered Senior Member

Television has its ups and downs, but it brings the world closer together... in a way....

after 9/11 there was a Simpsons episiod where Bart was watching wrestling and an american flag was embbeded into a look alike of osama binladin, then anvils where droped on him making his teeth fall out....

back in the old days of Bug Bunny, that little rabbit called poeple gooks, nips, chink eyed and so on... tho thoes episiods where revised and edited... it still sends a strong message of hate.

although TV has taught me MANY things that i would of never learned in school, it stills has its evil intentions...

I cannot really express my thoughs on TV... theirs just too much to talk about.
    Good entertainment? Sensless Brain Washing? Unjust Moral Doings? Eye Candy? Public Humiliations? Reality TV? and so on...

personaly i say all the MEDIA that (mainly) AMERICANs have invented has corupted mankinds evolution.... ( i could start a big thread on this issue)

but i love TV, its good entertainment for our short short lives

WHATEVER

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i just saw Bowling for Colombine at the movie theater and i couldn't help noticing that part of the big message was that American television creates fear on purpose. And this might be one of the causes for a fucked up society.

11. Julie Registered Member

Show business,Television and other stuff like that depends on the society,in which it develops...For exemple did u ever seen any russian-TV-programms?I bet you didnt......but if you did--it wasnt any good thing...Yeah?

12. A Canadian Why talk? When you can listen? Registered Senior Member

You know your Canadian when:
    You get excited when an american TV program mentions CANADA

i was truly offended when HOMER SIMPSON said: "Why leave america to visit america Jr."

HAH...
    jokes are one thing, but that hurts man

13. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

TY its stupid, but if I don't watch it, ..how do I know what stupid people are watching?

14. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

I don't think TV is findamentally a good thing or a bad thing, it's just a thing. Too much TV probably isn't good for you, but then again neither is too much food. Then again, you don't need even a little TV to survive...

My biggest problem is that it's such an easy distraction. Before I came here to college, I only had two channels in my home. I always knew what was on, and I only occasionally watched specific shows. I did lots of other things besides TV.

Now that I live in a house with a zillion channels, I find myself wasting time channel surfing when I'm either bored or procrastinating. The amount of time I spend exploring my other interests has significantly decreased.

TV also caters to the passive attitude that's becoming prominent in society. It's quick, easy, colorful, and, as mentioned above, it appeals to a variety of senses. What more could we ask for to fulfill our drive-thru desires?

I had also never watched CNN until I came to college, and I must say that up until that point I had a generally optimistic outlook. When people talked of media manipulation I never imagined it was taking place to this extent. I see certain stories covered and discussed, I'm told what I should be caring about, and I'm offered a conveinient shrink-wrapped opinion on every subject. The anchor changes their emotions according to what they want me to feel; I know to feel sad when they use the "frowny face," reserved for things like plane crashes and bad weekend weather. I used to say "you can't make me care." Now I'm eating my words.

But TV isn't all that bad. Aside from biased news/political documentaries, I don't see how TV is such a propaganda perpetuator. If anything, it is a distraction, and the more you watch the less you think for yourself. At least that's my personal experience.

Besides, where else, aside from college, can you learn to paint (or at least watch a guy talking about how to paint), learn to make a gourmet meal, and get your fill of nudity, all within minutes of each other?

Anyway, I'm starting to feel like a pinko, so I'll stop there. Sorry for throwing such a rantrum, but I'm in a bitchy mood.

15. Neville Registered Senior Member

Nice post A Canadian!

I agree. Most of what is shown on t.v. is rubbish but there are some good things on. I think it depends what you watch on t.v.

I quite like watching BC news 24 or some other running news programme. After a couple of spliffs its as if your being hit by a surge of information.

Everything thats going on in the world, all the latest stories, all the 'reality t.v.' close up action shots. Its encouraging too when you hear people talking about something in the evening that you were watching at 3:00 the morning before. but maybe thats just me.

On your point Nebula about how too much t.v. could be bad for you, i think at younger ages the television can be bad for you (as well as for your eyes). It probably causes a stunting of the brain or something. Liam Gallagher was left watching t.v. until he was still quite old

need i say anymore?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2003
  16. Rowen Registered Senior Member

The worst part about television is that it is corrupting our youth. Children are less imaginative and motivated to amuse themselves than in the good ol days. I know that this argument is overused and that I am being nostagic, but this argument is the absolute truth.

Arg.1
    The cartoons for the most part were more creative and of higher quality 10 years ago than they are now. Flinstones, Jetsons, He-man, She-ra, Ninja Turtles, Bugs and Tweety show, and numerous others. Now we find stations that play nothing but cartoons all day long 24 hours a day 7 days a week. These cartoons are of poor animation stylel, and are severly lacking substance. To name a few: anything aired on Teletoon, such as Mega Babies, Nightmare Ned, and Powerpuff Girls.
    Children are watching this over done recycled plot lines cartoons for more than 4 hours a day. It is a sickening trend. The childrens minds become conformed to simplistic and repetitive stimulation that remains unchanged day to day, thereby creating lethargic minds that avoid change and mental challenge. Ex. I know of a young girl who watches at least 4 hopurs of television a day and she refuses to read any books that aren't 3 grades below her reading level because they challenge her miond. She refuses to play any games that might make her contemplate skill and strategy. It's sickening to see her amusment at very obviously simplistic games that are seriously below her proven mental capability. She is 10.

Arg.2

Television is creating a society of less social creatures. In the past children within a ceartain area were always playing outside interacting till there parents called them home. Now children substitute a group of friends with the social interaction of the television. Why should they spend the time and effort it takes to get to know people when they can socialize with the television, which is risk free interaction.

However, intense television viewing is a form of betrayal. It produces a lethargic mind that diminishes the minds ability to concentrate for a long period of time. The television also diminishes creativity, because it creates story lines to entertain you. Children are seriously jeopordizing their true scholastic, creative potential by excessive tv binging.

As a child I did not watch much television. Instead I went outside and made up my own games. This roleplaying I believe at an early age honed my acting skills, which I slowly honed in on when I was older. I feel that I would be at the skill stage I am at now if I had watched more tlelvision as a child.

I notice it within my own family. My younger sibling of course began to watch more television and their reading skills show an obvious decrease. Whereas a child would have been reading a fantastical novel developing writing and imagery skills they are mindlessly becoming corporate drones of Gap.

I believe in "good" television. Good defined as....

*Documentries
    *Movies created with artistic means in mind
    *Dramas, satires, Comedy which makes a statement
    *any program that is informative,creative,stimulative.

I shun corporation promoting programs, and programs that serve to replace human interaction.

*Sitcoms
    *teen shows
    *most cartoons
    *recycled plot line cop, lawyer, doctor shows
    *WWE and other forms of Pro wrestling
    *anything that serves to numb the mind

Most of all I shun commercials!!!!!!! and american network television.

-Sure its entertaining at times, but we musn't allow ourselves to go to an extreme and make television the centre and purpose of our lives.-

Rowen

17. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I watch a little of the tele now and then, but mostly I spend my eyes on History International or CNN. HI is such an awesome channel, seriously, it is like, the coolest thing EVER.

Pardon my adolescence....

18. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

now that i have cable for the first time in my life(80 channels) i can say that about 90% of them have crap on 90% of the time. BUT. there is some very cool stuff on, mostly on the "educational" channels, like TLC, Discovery, National Geographic, animal planet, PBS. those are my most watched channels, asides from ESPN(sports) and Cartoon Network.

I wouldn't say TV is evil so much as the stuff on TV is evil(mostly)

the real problem is that people are frickin addicted to TV. when i was 13 or so i watched upwards of 5 hours a day(durring the school year). I was totally hooked. and it wasn't even that good, i was just bored and lazy. but i got off of it. once i went 3 weeks with no TV and it hit me that TV was just a habbit and if i missed the "latest episode" of whatever, the world wouldn't end. so i got off TV. i still watch some, but not nearly as much.

....but then this thing called the internet popped up...

19. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

Despite the fact that I'm a broadcast engineer for a CBS television affiliate, I haven't had a television in my house for at least the past ten years.

When I run on the treadmill at the gym, there are three televisions set-up for us to watch. I prefer instead to look at the bum of a cute girl on the treadmill in front of me. If there's no cute girl, I do mathematics in my head or think about philosophy. What's on TV doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Someday, when I'm drooling and chewing the buttons off my sweater, they'll sit me in front of a TV in the old folks home. That's what TV is for. Until then, the hours of my life are too precious to squander sitting in front of a television.

Michael

20. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Staring at cute bums rots your mind.

Suprised you didn't know that

21. Neville Registered Senior Member

No it doesnt! it motivates you!

I agree with you Rowen et al. The television does make the mind lazy. Humans should socialize. That is the way the brain makes sense of itself and the world etc. Emotianal growth (and i think maturation/growth in general) comes from contact with other humans.

As for the future?! Wasnt it the social skills that raised humanity above all other animal life? Wasnt it the fact that we can communicate with each other that made us better? i.e. exchanging information about predators and food stores/prey etc and more recently the exchange of ideas and the sharing of knowledge about the world. On evolution: surely money (wages!) is what the person needs now to survive. Money gets the person all that is needed for survival. The 'species' that will be wiped out in the future will surely be those who are not computer literate. Computers are taking over everything and so those who do not have the skills will not have the jobs and with the erosion of a free NHS (in my understanding) and a state pension it will surely mean that the unskilled will be left to rot and will have no choice about it.