Prevalence of Race related threads

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by thefountainhed, Jan 16, 2006.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I think you are still a bit confused on the term race. Because a certain disorder is more common among for instance african americans you conclude that races exist. Race is used as an ethnicity and you believe because the word gene comes into play in the same sentence that a certain population that is singled out as an ethnicity is actually a biological race.

To that I can only give you my loudest well meant laughter...haha...by all means you might get it one day.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nanonetics Registered Senior Member

So race does not exist but ethnicity exists. At first it seemed that the term race was to be replaced by subspecies, now the term will be changed to ethnicity.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I see that you are still very much a confused person.

Subspecies is a biological term to describe a biological concept. Ethnicity is a social construct to describe social groups within a society. If the ethnicity afro-americans suffer from a certain genetic defect more than for instance the asian ethnicity then this doesn't mean that afro-americans and asians are distinct subspecies according to biological criteria.

Can you see the difference? Understand that different concepts have different criteria? Do you understand that genetic differences within a population doesn't mean the automatic existence of subspecies? Obviously you are allowed to see that most african americans are black and most whites are white and classify them for yourself as race. But that isn't science. That is just you trying to put order in your world. It doesn't automatically mean your design of order is in agreement with scientific notions of order.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nanonetics Registered Senior Member

You are stating that medical science and also the pharmaceutical industry (with pharmaceutical products intended for a distinct human group) have based procedures or treatments on social constructs. Social constructs are determined by individual perception rather than by standards that lies outside of individual perception. You have effectively declared these fields un-scientific.

You have also stated that people have practiced science for many centuries. How many centuries has this been?

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

1. genetic differences between populations does not equal race.

2. genetic differences between populations does not equal race.

3. genetic differences between populations does not equal race.

Hope you got the message now.

cheerio

9. Nanonetics Registered Senior Member

Of course I understand. Laws, preferences and benefits related to this topic are also based on irrationally variable individual human perception rather than a standard that can be agreed upon by a good portion of responsible members in society, as was done in the old days of divisiveness and aristocratic rule. Now we make conflicting rules that all must adhere to for fear of penalty, but such conflicting rules benefit one minor select group or another minor select group, to the exclusion of the other diverse members. The groupings themselves state: race, creed, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, favorite television show, number or location of tatoos and piercings which symbolize rather than actualize liberty, preferred climate, most desired vacation destination, handedness/ambidextrous, physical ableness, mental ableness, presence/ignorance of philosophical outlook, tendency toward left eye neural-motive twitchiness, and whatever opportunist-driven motivations any agreeable body with a vast collection of money and network TV approval for making broad emotional appeals can obtain for itself. We call this our democracy and our democracy says that race plays one of many factors.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I don't think you do understand.

11. Nanonetics Registered Senior Member

This is a game. The game is called musical chairs. The players are genetic differences, history and other quantitative factors. One chair is labeled "subspecies", another "ethnicity" and yet another "race". I'm not interesting in playing musical chairs, but other people seem very interested in hopping from label to label to keep truth buried. I'm interested in the players because that is the topic.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

That confirms you do not understand.

subspecies is a biological definition.

race used to be a biological definition until the scientific community decided that it wasn't a workable term in terms of modern biology. Subspecies became the accepted standard. The concept of subspecies has specific criteria. The human species doesn't seem to fullfil these criteria at this point in time.

Race is still used as an desciption of ethnicity. A social construct based on origin and culture.

Subsets of human populations can have higher frequencies of certain genes/allelles. These sub populations often correspond to race as an ethnicity.

These minor differences between populations do not constitute enough biological difference to be marked as subspecies.

There is currently one human subspecies: homo sapiens sapiens. There used to be at least another one, but it went extinct.

Therefor you can refer to race as an ethnicity. You can show members of such a race are prone to certain minor genetic characteristics. And still it doesn't mean that race is more than skindeep, that is: race does not equal subspecies. Race is not a reference to major biological difference.

13. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

The scientific community has decided no such thing.

Some people may have; but not all.

Witness Gill's article, if nothing else.

You're trying to claim that the scientific community has adopted your personal view, and that's illogical.

You are not making sense.

14. Nanonetics Registered Senior Member

We must deny reality when it makes us feel uncomfortable or offended. The main question is what order to put our three liberal democratic virtues. I vote for:

1) Making Money - level the playing field wherein money is a flexible social construct where biology or history might not make me feel equal or empowered
    1) Silence Offenders
    1) Do Not Offend - helps people to feel comfortable shopping and paying taxes
    2) Saving Lives - helps make lots of extra money plus I'll go to heaven
    2) Silence Offenders
    3) Deny Reality - this makes me feel better so I will shop and be happy at work

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

What do you know about the field? You are just a racist trying to justify your hate.

16. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

The consensus is as sm describes it. So it is true to say the scientific community has agreed.

I rather think sm has adopted the view of the scientific community. Not unreasonable a position for an active member of that community to take.
    Mirror.

17. J.B Banned Banned

Stupid monkey

18. Nanonetics Registered Senior Member

"Poverty causes criminal behaviour"

An infinitely wealthy man never commits crime.
    An infinitely poor man is constantly commits crime.
    The man in between is criminal about half the time.

Since social economic excuses for tendencies toward criminal behaviour serve to pacify morons, liberals and other types of adult children, what reasons could we have that are closer to the truth?

How about overcrowding? No, Japan has overcrowding with a population almost entirely made up of descendants of the Korean peninsula who settled the island if I remeber correctly, but very low crime so this will not work for criteria.

Social economics does not reliably predict behaviour for the species.
    Overcrowding does not reliably predict behaviour for the species.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You give me Monkey Aids.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Japan isn't the US. The US isn't Denmark. Denmark isn't Bangladesh.

I don't think I need to say more except: don't be so simple. Life isn't.

21. Nanonetics Registered Senior Member

Behaviour trends can be predicted by longitude and latitude. Behaviour changes with longitude and latitude.

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I still behave the same despite moving a continent.

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Actually some of the "Rich" are the worst kind of criminals going, afterall those that are Poor or in between are often trying to do the Rich persons bidding, which obviously means they get their hands dirty and the Rich person gets off scot free.

It can be suggested "you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs", namely a person can't become rich overnight which might well mean they have to do a few dishonourable things to get where they are. (Unless that problems been dealt with through hereditary gains, which just means the criminal activity fell upon their ancestry)

As for Race, there are alot of different Races. There is Boat Races, Car Races, Marathons, Decaffalons (thats when nobody drinks caffine), and occassionally paparatzi races, were some celeb's secret midnight rendezvous makes the front page of a tabloid spread.

Get over it, people. At the end of the day we are all stuck here on this planet, unless you Evolve wings and even then you'd still have to deal with the Icarus Effect and the absence of atmosphere in space.

Calling each other names and suggesting weakness because of their ethnicity is lame, at the end of the day what makes the Genepool so Strong is Diversity, and diversity obviously means encouraging Ethnicity.