Prescription drugs in America: Taking your business elsewhere

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Tiassa, Apr 4, 2008.

?

Americans getting prescription drugs ...?

1. Have or would go through foreign pharmacy

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Have not or would not go through foreign pharmacy

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Don't know/WIll find out when it's my turn/Other

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. I'm not an American, but I really needed something to click

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

So my father convinced me to go through a Canadian pharmacy when renewing a prescription. Hell, why not? After all, he offered to underwrite the thing. (I have no insurance.)

So the process, as I understand it: I call my doctor for the renewal. He fills out the prescription, faxes it to a pharmacy in Canada. The Canadian pharmacy hands it over to a local doctor, who fills out a new prescription in my name. That prescription is filled by the Canadian pharmacy, who sends it to me via the post.

Easy enough, right?

My only question is where the British come into it?

Because my prescription was sent from Milton Keynes. I can't tell you how funny that is to me, but if you've read Gaiman and Pratchett's Good Omens, you might understand. But that's beside the point.

So, does it go from my doctor to Canadian pharmacy to British doctor to British pharmacy?

Or does it go from my doctor to Canadian pharmacy to Canadian doctor to British pharmacy to British doctor?

At any rate, the good folks in Milton Keynes have little paper bags with the Canadian pharmacy's logo and information on it. How's that for convenient?

But here's the thing: It still costs less than having my doctor send the prescription to the pharmacy up the street. Less than Fred Meyer. Less than Walgreen's. Less than Wal-Mart. Less than Costco. Even with the shipping costs.

Next time I hear President Bush say, "May God continue to bless the USA", I'm going to raise a glass and add, "... with Brits and Canadians, don'tcha know!"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's likely that the particular drug is produced in a Factory at Milton Keynes (which incidentally is the Youngest City in the UK, created during the 1960's from fields)

It's possible that the drug in question use to be handled via it's "brand name" which you should probably guess is a Trademark and there is obviously patents involved with the chemistry. That being said it's possible that it's the only Factory/Lab that produces that particular drug legally (Of course this is dependant on where they hold patents, they might hold them in Canada but not the USA)

This is why you'd find a drug being moved from the UK, to Canada and then to the US.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I get my drugs through the mail, which was set up by my insurance company. For all I know, they are foreign drugs.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's only illegal for "Unapproved" prescription drugs. The other factor is that Tiassa isn't importing them himself but going through Pharmacies which will have assumingly sorted out the legal requires for transportation.

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

What we've come to

Actually, it's manufactured in Mumbai. I was telling my father about that earlier tonight and he said his cholesterol medication came in from Argentina.

• • •​

The irony, of course, being that my first international drug violation comes with a prescription. If someone told me ten years ago it would be like that, I would have laughed.

I did find this, though, while looking for another reference:

I got what looks like exactly a ninety day supply, except for the fact that the pills can be split, so, technically, it's 180. I'll look around later today, see if I can come up with a stat on how many American doctors are willing to write these prescriptions. My doctor didn't flinch, apparently, and it would seem they've done it before.

Notes:

Williams, Geoff. "Five tips to buying prescription drugs from America's favored pharmacy: Canada". WalletPop. March 11, 2008. http://www.walletpop.com/2008/03/11/five-tips-to-buying-prescription-drugs-from-americas-favored-ph/

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

tiassa, its sad that you have to go through a canadian chemist to get the drugs you need. As it is sad that health care in the US is seen as a luxury rather than a right.

In australia almost all drugs cost $30 (no matter WHAT they are, unless you have a health care card because then they are $3 aprox). The US wanted to take the PBS (parmosutical benifits scheam) which is the goverment project that pays the rest of the drug, to the world trade court to get it shut down. How dare we have cheep drugs when we need them aparently in breach of the fare trade agreement. The only time i have been proud of Howard was when he told the US to stick it up there ass over this

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I beg to differ with you Stryder! Please continue reading the posting on the US Customs website.

Home / Travel / Clearing CBP / Restricted/Prohibited Goods /

Restricted/Prohibited Goods for All Travelers

on cbp.gov:
    Prohibited and Restricted Items

The below was taken directly from the United States Customs Web Site.
    http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing_goods/restricted/medication_drugs.xml

I don't imagine this to be one of the laws that they are very proud off and like to get a lot of attention. If companies can outsource labor to other countries why cannot I as a consumer outsource some of my suppliers?

on the web:
    FDA Warns Consumers Not to Buy or Use Prescription Drugs from Various Canadian Websites that Apparently Sell Counterfeit Products

Medication/Drugs

The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act) prohibits persons from importing into the United States any prescription drug that has not been approved for sale by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), or which is adulterated or misbranded within the meaning of the Act. Moreover, in those instances where a United States manufacturer makes an FDA-approved prescription drug and sends it abroad, the Act also prohibits any person other than the original manufacturer from importing the drug back into the United States. Thus, in virtually all instances, individual citizens are prohibited from importing prescription drugs into the United States.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  12. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

As long as I can walk to my nearest Wal-Greens to get my psycho-stimulants that's where I'm going.