Prepare for the ultimate gaslighting? :(

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, Apr 12, 2020.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

https://forge.medium.com/prepare-for-the...8ce3f0a0e0

The cat is out of the bag. We, as a nation, have deeply disturbing problems. You’re right. That’s not news. They are problems we ignore every day, not because we’re terrible people or because we don’t care about fixing them, but because we don’t have time. Sorry, we have other shit to do. The plain truth is that no matter our ethnicity, religion, gender, political party (the list goes on), nor even our socioeconomic status, as Americans we share this: We are busy. We’re out and about hustling to make our own lives work. We have goals to meet and meetings to attend and mortgages to pay — all while the phone is ringing and the laptop is pinging. And when we get home, Crate and Barrel and Louis Vuitton and Andy Cohen make us feel just good enough to get up the next day and do it all over again. It is very easy to close your eyes to a problem when you barely have enough time to close them to sleep. The greatest misconception among us, which causes deep and painful social and political tension every day in this country, is that we somehow don’t care about each other.

After reading this article, I wonder if the author could be right. Guess we'll have to wait and see. . .

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seattle Valued Senior Member

It depends on how you look at it. Sure advertising will continue on as it always has. For some the pause will give them a moment to step away from the "rat race" and to reassess their lives and for other's they will just be glad to get back to work.

I wouldn't call it "gaslighting" but I wouldn't call most cases labeled that way gaslighting.

The commercials have little effect on me. I don't watch much that is on TV and when I do it is generally without commercials.

I agree that we can't just get back to "normal" all that easily but on the other hand there are too many articles IMO that totally downplay the repercussions of just shutting down the economy.

We do need universal testing or something close to it and we need a vaccine if possible. There is no money (long-term) without an economy so everyone can't just sit home forever and demand government services.

If "we" shut out the noise come from Trump I don't see "gaslighting" as being a big problem. It's hard to actually gaslight someone.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Good points. But gaslighting in this case, meaning as we recover and “restart,” the powers that be will want to manipulate us into thinking things aren’t as bad as they seem. (Maybe we imagined it mixed with “get over it.”) I’m still confused why the media was warning that up to 200k deaths were to be expected last week, in the US alone, and now we are being “told” that things are looking much brighter.

It’s chilling that our government can have that much control over our daily lives, simply by manipulating narratives.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No man (or woman) is an island.

If the gubment wants everyone back to normal, and makes our company - and/or whatever other obligations we have - re-open, then we won't be give any quarter or leeway. We will likely encounter a lot of friction trying to keep marching to the beat of our own drummers.

8. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

On British Broadcasting Corporation few minutes ago

Graffiti in Hong Kong

We can't go back to normal (after the COVID-19 crisis) normal was the problem

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!