Predestined

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Commandore Zippy, May 8, 2003.

1. Commandore Zippy Kender Legionnaire Registered Senior Member

Is everything predestined, or do we have a choice to shape the future into what wewant it to be?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Does it matter? Act like you have free will and enjoy it because you cant help it if by chance you are predestined.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I think that it's more like "everything that is, should be". I believe that to be a true statement. It's a lot like "everything that can be, will". From that I gather that "everything that is, might as well have meant to be, because it is". Also I realize that "Soon, it will probably be different." At that point, I think "it is supposed to be like that, regardless of what will be or was".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GhostWorldAgent Registered Member

No, you do not have any free will. Free will is a lie constantly being regurgitated by this evil world and its evil master. Evil just wants to deny that there is such a thing as destiny because evil itself is destined to be wiped out. But don''t worry God (Love) will come to destroy this evil world and, if you have been judged by God as worthy, will put you in the new earth in the new heavens so that you won't have to worry about silly stuff like free will.

8. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Stop calling my world evil bitch

welcome to sciforums

9. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

:: walks over to Dr. Lou and hands him a comma ::

"Stop calling my world evil, bitch"

:: reads better ::

10. DarkEyedBeauty Pirate. Registered Senior Member

If 'God (Love)' didn't give us free will, are we merely his puppets? What sort of existence is that? If for some odd reason I'd be going to these supposed 'new heavens' why would free will be silly to me? Free will is what keeps us going. To have the chance to make our own choices, choose our own destiny.

Yes, of course we have free will. Nothing within me is causing me to do anything in particular. Somedays I have the best plans to better myself, and I don't simply because I'm lazy. Why would any sort of God allow for something called laziness? Why would he count an ineffiecient random factor into our existence? What is laziness for? And if we're all puppets of God, then he can't judge us. If we are only doing what he has mapped out for us, how can he damn someone eternally for what he has forced them to do?

11. machaon Registered Senior Member

A reply

If 'God (Love)' didn't give us free will, are we merely his puppets?

Yes, we are. By being puppets we hand over ideals such as responsibilty over to god. A puppet can do no wrong. A puppet can drive an SUV to church and pray for Iraqi children. A puppet can tell children that they will burn in hell if they choose to question what is being taught to them. A puppet can pay six dollers for an all-you-can-eat buffet at Shoney's and not leave a tip.

12. ProCop Valued Senior Member

RE:Clockwood

Predestination would put the question of guilt in different perspective.

13. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

It makes no difference. There is a past and there is a now, but there is no future. The idea of a future is in itself theoretical. The future can never be proven to exist because one can never go there. Therefore, future events cannot be predetermined because there is nothing to predetermine them in.

14. gurglingmonkey More Amazing in RL Registered Senior Member

Why would God want or need puppets?
    I think predestiny encourages laziness. I mean, if everything has already been decided, there's no reason to try, because the outcome has already been decided and you will either succeed or fail, win or lose, live or die, and so forth.
    I don't like the idea my future isn't in my hands.

Gurglo

15. Dana D It's all about balance Registered Senior Member

Chaos, and his buddy Heisenberg, make predestination, and certainly precognition, untenable. Yet, not all things are possible. There are nearly infinite possible futures, but not all futures are possible. The conditions of "now" limit the possbilities of tomorrow. Events today predispose towards likely, yet non-specific, tomorrows.

Hmm ... this reminds me about theories of Social Change (new post).

16. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

As i far as i understood it, all things are possible, it is just a matter of probability. The amount of possible futures is infinite, but some are more likely than others.

But then again, this is really not my field.

17. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

Wait, if all things are possible, then also contradictions are possible... which can not be.

Ok, forget about my above post, it is rubbish.

18. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Pollux is right. Future exists only by our extrapolation of the present. It does not exist until it happens - when it happens it is just present , not future anymore. Therefore future does not exist.

19. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Whoever claimed that it does? I think the future DOES exist, but it is only the abstract idea that it has always been. It has and will always be mistaken to say "the future exists" in any other than an abstract way.

20. sparkle born to be free Registered Senior Member

Predestined in a way that all the choices you have are to some extent real, YES.
    The way you (will) choose is pretty much random.
    Try again: Yes, I would say, EVERYTHING is predestined, but not which one and only choice we make at a given point of time.