Pre marital Sex - Why or Why not?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by aaqucnaona, Dec 24, 2011.

?

Read OP first! Pre-Marital Sex, yes or no? [Explain Below]

1. Yes

72.2%
  2. No

27.8%
  1. Bells Staff Member

Care to cite some examples? Names?

Relationships amongst animals, especially pack animals, are distinctly complex and "developed" and we have barely scratched the surface. Some more than humans.

We were discussing social structures, not a special forces unit.

Or are you applying anything that comes to mind?

Have you ever seen a pod of humpback whales hunt and the complex signals they send and the manner in which they hunt? How about wolves?

But if you wish to compare that with men with guns, sure?

Animals exist and are successful in their environment. What I am trying to get across to you is that you cannot compare it to human beings and automatically deem humans to be superior.

Sex is not always in a "relationship". I think it is noble that you think that way now, but your views may change as you get older.

Then do not make such definitive statements.

I don't think you quite understand.

Children pick up everything. Unless you are bringing a child up in a bubble and not letting them have access to anything outside of that bubble environment, they will pick up every single useless fact they come into contact with and if they do not, their imagination will run wild and they will ask you about anything and everything. Saying 'that is a useless question' will not satisfy that curiosity. What you will get in response is 'why is it?'..

No question is useless and no fact is useless to a child.

You can try and steer your child in a certain direction, but if that child does not wish to go there, you won't get that child there and if you force it, you will end up with a very unhappy and damaged child as a result. Useless facts is part of growing up.

There is no "plan". A child will grow up to be whoever they happen to be. My role as their mother is to make sure they are happy, healthy and have access to the best that I can give them to allow them to be who they will be. And yes, along the way, they will absorb every single useless fact they come into contact with and you know what? It's not useless. It helps children sort through the information and know what is worthwhile and what is not as they get older.

And it is also fun.

To you, a fact might be useless. To a child, it can allow their imagination to run wild and drawings and play is usually the result. And that is essential.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

All of this seems to be good reasons to be careful about with whom you sleep, not a prohibition against pre-marital sex. Your first point seems to make that directly by stating that what matters is how long you are going to be together. Once you know you are serious and intend a long term commitment (and religious considerations aside), marriage is just a piece of paper.

Marriage doesn't generate any new emotions, so the emotional underpinnings of a relationship are identical for a couple that is about to get married and one that has just gotten married.

On the other side, though, not every two people are sexually compatible. By some estimates nearly half of women are incapable of achieving orgasm, and such women may find it difficult to be with men with highly active sex drives. Plus, as with everything, many people just have different tastes. It seems to me despite the erstwhile taboos, people need to have pre-marital sex to determine if this vital and important part of marriage will work for them as a couple.

To go even further, though, if two virgins meet and have sex for the first time, they will come away from the experience having little idea of what they like or dislike about sex. Sex is a skill, like any other, and skills take, on average 10,000 hours of practice to master (or so some say). If you were with one and only one partner for life, however, your ability to explore and improve will be limited. It may ordinarily take 10,000 hours to become great at chess, but if you only ever play against one opponent, your skills are very likely to be somewhat limited (especially if your opponent has only ever played against you).

So not only is it good to have pre-marital sex to determine your sexual compatibility, but it's good to have multiple partners before marriage because (A) it helps you determine what things you like or do not like and (B) it helps you improve your own skills and techniques which will increase the likelihood that your spouse will have a sexually satisfying experience with you.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well said.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Getting legal arrangements done really wigged me out severely.
    Yes I was serious about her.
    But I found commitment terrifying.

:shrug: Just saying.

8. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Right on.

I was homicidally ideating after three days of tricyclen. Also had whole-body aches.

Ortho-cyclen made me nauseous to the point of *almost* throwing up in the morning, then wanting very much to kill myself in the afternoon. I was hoping if I kept taking it my body would adjust. I could not persuade myself to keep taking it or to try anything else hormonal thereafter.

When I lived with a guy for a year and a half or so we used condoms and were ok. I'd say use a condom and a vaginal contraceptive film, and you have virtually no risk of pregnancy.

9. Bells Staff Member

Should use a condom regardless of whether the girl is on oral contraceptives or not.

10. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

OMG! Bells and Chimpkin are females! How the hell is one supposed to know whos man and female on sciforums!

11. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I would say stick around for awhile, and you'll find out more than who's female around here. I will say that this forum has more women than at least two other science forums I've been on.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Marriage is a piece of paper. A legally binding contract. Nothing more to it.
    Vows are made in your heart.

13. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I had to keep smuggling mine from Brazil.
    Healthy, low dosage oral contraceptives are illegal here in backward land.

14. Bells Staff Member

Why should it matter?

It isn't a dating site, so you should have no reason to want to know.

15. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

How about choosing pronouns?

16. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Well said, KillJoy?
    How long since you two have been adolescents? Emotinal distress, depression, post breakup social trouble, ring a bell? And you suggest I go around boning girls to "imporve my skills and techniques"? Its not just sex you know. Its a relationship, you have to work on whether or long it will last before to try and decide "what things you like or do not like".
    Btw, I dont care for marriage, it can be a live in or anything, its just got to last, be almost permanent.

17. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Third-person singular "they," though it makes my inner grammar Nazi cringe, seems to be morphing into a gender-neutral pronoun.
    One sci-fi writer used "per," short for person, as a gender-neutral pronoun.
    I rather like that one. Ze and hir never seemed to have caught on.

At one of the transgender sites I have been to, you list your preferred pronoun.

S.A.M calls me he/she...which totally warms the cockles of my heart...

18. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

I never said anything denigrating the relationships (in fact, notice that I said you should improve your skill to enhance your spouse's enjoyment, not your own; remedial reading comprehension would help you greatly).

I was answering honestly and respectfully, but nice to know that you're a jackass who doesn't want to have a frank conversation, but only wants to hear answers that parrot back his own juvenile view of human sexuality. So much so, that I apparently offended you by disagreeing.

Well, guess what, jackass? I agree with you that sex in a committed relationship is better than sex outside of it. That wasn't your fucking question in the OP though, was it? No. You asked about "premarital" sex, which can be sex within the confines of a long term committed (but non-marital) relationship.

If that wasn't what you wanted to ask about, moron, then learn to write what you mean.

19. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

All after:

You can criticize other people's grammar when you learn to write, son. In particular, learn the difference between "it's" and "its." And if you are going to use quotation marks, don't add misspellings into the quote unless the person quoted made the mistake first. I would add that it's fine to miss the apostrophe in posting on a message board. It's no big deal, but don't do it and then criticize others for writing informally.

20. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Ok, sorry. I didn't mean it that way. And yes, but what other title would I give it? I said "marriage or not" in the OP.
    No I am not offended that you didn't "parrot back my views", I am offended because you gave the impression that you dont care for relationships. But you cleared that up in your very first statement.
    Between that, the rest of your post seems to be unnecessary swearing [think what the parrot would say when guests are over!].
    Come on, cheer up and lose the anger.

eace:

21. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Because the god Sigmund Freud must be appeased!
    No sacrifice is too big.
    Everyone must kill and die for Sigmund Freud!!

22. Bells Staff Member

Give the kid a break. He believes in 'forever after'.. He reminds me of a guy I went out with when I was 18. After two dates, he introduced me to his mother and asked me how many children I wanted and whether I would prefer a small or big wedding. I can laugh about it now. At the time, I don't think squealing tires as I drove away could come close to just how fast and far I bolted.

23. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Duh. The man was just being practical and realistic, and tried to get the big questions cleared right away. Why spend time with someone who doesn't have compatible values as oneself.