Pre marital Sex - Why or Why not?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by aaqucnaona, Dec 24, 2011.

?

Read OP first! Pre-Marital Sex, yes or no? [Explain Below]

1. Yes

72.2%
  2. No

27.8%
  1. billvon Valued Senior Member

The inward perception of one's individuality. Their personal code of conduct, their morality, their likes and dislikes, the tradeoffs they make between the necessary but unpleasant tasks that are part of modern life vs. the more fun parts. Their value system - what they place value on and how they re-evaluate that system over time. That kind of stuff.

And you denigrate those who decide to have sex. Sounds like you are doing unto others as you would have them do unto you. So it's all good.

??? Why would you think that? We all define ourselves a great many ways.

For example, you have made it a point here to expound upon your bewilderment concerning people who have sex. Based on the number of threads you have discussed it in, and the number of posts you have made, it is clearly an important part of your definition of yourself.

When you get a raise, do you think "I cannot understand why people have sex?" When you lose your job, do you think "I cannot understand why people have sex?" When your loved ones die, do you think "I cannot understand why people have sex?"

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Emil Valued Senior Member

Yes.
    In your semantics "seek treatment"="mental institution"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Because we are different and we can have different opinions?
    C'est la vie.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Pay raises are a part of successful competition and demonstrated performance.

Job loss would precipitate coping strategies, including seeking alternate employment.

Everyone that we cherish shall eventually be lost to us, and we too shall perish in due course.

Everything that I have experienced or observed appears to part of an evolving process.

What the process has evolved from or what it may evolve unto, I cannot say, but based on the circumstantial evidence, my preliminary conclusion is that I, and everything else, is but fodder for evolution. :shrug:

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Its a good example of human vanity that a person deems his/her life to be useless unless its a part of some grand scheme - which it is - the flourishing of life around a sun for the few billion years between the formation and death of the star - but of course this is irrelavent to the person - hence the need for a universal super-being to have some plans for us, hence the opposition to evolutionary thinking.

Btw, wynn, how is being fodder for evolution [which hardly acts on humans anymore] any different than being fodder for some grand plan?

8. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Eventually, yes.

Not if some of those opinions are pathologized/criminalized.

Why do you believe that?

Why do you hold such an outlook to be true above all others?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

In a "grand plan," one is not fodder.

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

This is rather vague, abstract.

I am bewildered by some people's understanding of happiness and meaning of life.

How is it that people come to believe that it is acceptable to harm and even kill oneself and others in the process of looking for happiness?

How is it that people come to believe that it is a "fuller (richer) life" to have one's happiness depend on doing damage to oneself and others?

How is it that people come to rely on gambling of one kind or another to find happiness?

How is it that people reject other, much less harmful and also much more successful ways of finding happiness?

Popular sex practices are just one part of the picture in this. Others are meat-eating, taking intoxicants, exploitation of the environment, popular consumerism with all its facets, etc.

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

It is your camp that started it and that is making it public.

It is your camp that is directly or indirectly expressing deep contempt for others who do not hold the same views.

Given this, I expect you to have many good reasons to be considered superior, and I expect you to make those reasons public.

And you do not know anything about my sex life, because I never said anything in particular about it.
    Whatever you think about it, is merely due to your projection.

12. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Why not? Live for love. The baby bater is best fresh, you already know.

13. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

How is a guy who gives up his life for his God not just fodder - of a grand plan or more likely and worse, of a idea? After all, his doesn't really figure in it, no more than a bullet figures in a battle.

14. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I am reminding you of what you agreed with here:
    http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2889609&postcount=70

15. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Agreed. At a purely objective, non-practical, philosophical level, the situation is indeed 50-50. But practicality and logical positivism do tilt the scales...

And what does that have to do with my question?

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

You said:

In short, you are failing to really take into account the full extent of the belief system you are trying to refute or object to.

17. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Yes, but he's dead, whether he knows it or not, whether he believes in some afterlife or not - his friends and family dont have him anymore and his experiences and opportunities are cut short - surely there is no difference between this and one of our ancestors who got killed by a lion because he hadn't mastered the bipedal run?

18. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

It makes a world of difference to a person how they think about themselves.

19. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Yes, until he is dead!

20. billvon Valued Senior Member

As is the concept of self.

Yes, you've made that clear.

For some, the joy they get from an activity they participate in is greater than the risk of injury or death. Equestarians, skydivers, private pilots and triathletes all accept this.

Because a that is filled with joy, relationships with others, goals to be met, experiences to be had, successes and failures is a much fuller life than the life of someone who sits on their couch their whole life, afraid of risk.

Do you mean gambling on risk? We all do that. You gamble that your car won't explode and kill you, so you drive it. You gamble that your home's heater won't catch on fire and burn your place down, so you use it. You gamble that posting on-line won't allow predators to track you down and rob you, so you post.

So why do YOU rely on gambling in your attempt to find happiness? The answer to your question is the same in both cases.

They don't.

Yep. And skydiving, riding horses, riding a bike, surfing, flying airplanes, climbing mountains, rafting rivers, swimming, hiking, camping, hang gliding, playing football, traveling, eating new foods etc etc. And some people sit on their couches and avoid all those things, terrified that they will eat a bad clam and die, or have a heart attack and drown, or get hit by a car.

If that's what you want to do, that's fine. You might be missing out, though.

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

Nope. You may think that, but my first reply to you was after you had admitted that you didn't like sex and didn't understand why others had it. And indeed I have been stating at every turn that I have no problem at all if you choose not to have sex. Go for it!

Again, no. I have no camp, and I do not hold you in comtempt for your choices. I am not angry about this as you seem to be, and it does not bother me that you choose to be celibate.

Your expectations will not be met, then.

22. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I never admitted such. You are making things up.

It was your camp. Not you personally, but the people who believe the same things as you do.

Stop making things up. You don't know anything about my sex life.

23. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

You have a very, very skewed perception of people who are conservative in their life practices.

You are projecting what it would take you to behave like they do.
    That doesn't mean this is what takes them to behave like they do.

There is a difference between actively engaging in a gamble (ie. renouncing one's free will and hoping that things will work out according to one's desires anyway) and acknowledging uncertainty.

Oh yes, they do.

Again, your perspective on the range of accomplishments to be had in life is very very skewed and limited.

Do you really believe that, for example, Buddhist monks meditate and look for happiness inside, because they are afraid of taking risks??

The more one has to rely for one's happiness on material circumstances and on others, in the process risking and harming their own health and life and that of others, the poorer one is.