Poultry and Penises?

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by NeonBlack, Sep 13, 2007.

1. NeonBlack Registered Member

Many Chinese speakers refer to the male organ familiarly as xiao ji ji, or "little chicken." Of course, in English we have "cock" and the more juvenile "pecker."

Question 1: Do any other languages have references like this? The only other language I know if French, but not colliquially enough to know stuff like this.

Question 2: Maybe I'm just not using my imagination, but how is a penis like a chicken?

This may or may not be related: Also, in Chinese, a male prostitute is a "duck," and a female prostitute is a "chicken."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

A _male_ chicken is properly a cock. Females are hens. I suspect this is the origin of the slang. In the US, the term rooster (a relatively newly coined word) is most often used now, to avoid conflict with the slang term.

At a guess, there may be something similar occuring in Chinese slang, but I really don't know.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Dont' forget that a cock is a faucet, valve, or other appurtenance for dispensing liquid.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Hadn't thought of that. It could well be the origin. Or possibly a combination of the two?

8. River Ape Valued Senior Member

xioa ji ji!!!
    I thought a ji ji was a horse!