Post-Diluvian Nephilim?

Discussion in 'Comparative Religion' started by one_raven, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

This is a compound statement, consisting of three separated statements, that prove my point.

Moreover from that abundance of confused logic, the copy of that first document also says that
    in China there existed giants with horns and clad in furs. However it does not say they were bipeds.

We could say that on the American continent there were giants with horns and clad in fur.
    All we need do is look at the American buffalo. We still have giants in the ocean, called whales.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EgalitarianJay Registered Senior Member

The verses from the Bible are saying that there were giants on the Earth in different time periods and that their origins were the Sons of God (Angels) having children with the Daughters of Man (human women). The Book of Enoch makes it very clear that the Nephilim were a hybrid race of fallen angels and human women (maybe they didn't have female angels at the time?). Since the Bible speaks of Giants being on Earth after the flood and clearly states that all of God's creation outside of Noah's Ark died the
    post-diluvian giants must have descended from Noah's bloodline. Anak is noted as being the patriarch of a race of giants who were descendants of the Nephilim. Now what is the truth origin of the myth? From a Biblical perspective some theologians have suggested that the fallen angels (demons) were attempting to taint the bloodline of humans in order to prevent Jesus Christ from having a sinless nature.

This article for example poses that theory:

https://www.gotquestions.org/Nephilim.html

From a more scientific perspective I personally think this was probably just an explanation for really tall people. Imagine that everyone in your village was under 6 feet tall and then one day someone grew up to be as big and tall as Shaquille O'Neal, Paul Wight or Hong-man Choi. How do you explain an anomaly like that especially if their father's aren't very tall? You invent a theory about them descending from supernatural beings who blended the human bloodline. Maybe some of these men develop bad attitudes from being ostracized for being so tall and large and they become known for violent tempers and being fierce warriors. Now you have a stereotype for the angry giant based on real events that gets warped in to a supernatural explanation of the giants being demigods who are known as Nephilim. The myth of them being 14 feet tall is simply an exaggeration.

I think this is entirely plausible. There are certainly large animals out there but I don't know any buffalo that wield axes. Maybe the horns were simply a headdress or helmet of a rival tribe that made its way in to Chinese folklore as a characteristic of their breed of giants. That could also just be their imagination. I saw an episode ancient Aliens once where it was suggested that humans were created from genetic experiments by aliens mixing the DNA of different species to create the perfect servant for the work they needed to be done to fuel their ships and the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs that depict beings with the characteristics of different animals or humans with animal heads were evidence of these experiments. I just shrug at that and think, "Maybe that was the artist's imagination" e.g. "Wouldn't it be cool to have the body of a lion?" or "What if a creature had the body of a hippo and a crocodile" then the artist drew it for fun and it became a custom to draw these imaginary beings over time. Likewise maybe Bigfoot was just a bear standing on its hind legs in the woods and from a distance it looked like a giant ape creature that became a myth. The book I bought is full of creatures that people couldn't possibly have believed were true unless they were on some type of drugs or lost their minds.

Nephilim could have just been an explanation for really big and tall people and storytellers got carried away with their imagination.

Edit: I completely screwed up my calculation with ells. I divided when I should have multiplied. So according to The Book of Enoch the Nephilim were actually more like 4, 500 feet tall if we assume that 1 ell = 18 inches. There's no way anyone in their right mind thought beings like this ever existed. Unless Wikipedia is wrong on ells (I see some sources giving the same figure) we're talking about giants of a whole other magnitude than 14 feet. Making ordinary men look like grasshoppers in their sight makes a lot more sense with giants that tall.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

You're still just making things up based on a poor understanding of human physiology.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Can you be more specific? I know little of human physiology. But other than in mythology can you explain how evolution can create true giants, let alone hundreds of ft tall. In my search for evidence, I only found this
    I also found a rather extensive list of giant animals. And if we found bones of dinosaurs and hybrid, why should we not find fossils of giant human hybrids. Seems convenient to the perpetuation of giants in mythology.

8. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Do you understand why they say "alleged"?

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

1. should that convince me they existed? How many of them were there one, a hundred? have we even found any weapons which would be proportional to a giant?

10. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

The "without proof" is the pertinent part there.

11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Without any proof or even secondary implications. Apparently they vanished without leaving any evidence of their existence.

12. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Yep, because they were never there. Easiest way in the world to not leave evidence.

Write4U likes this.
  13. river

I see ...

14. river

Yet giants and their graves , were all over the US .

15. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

One understanding is that the wives of Noah's sons, weren't genetically pure.

Jan.

16. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Yeah, because Photoshop is easy to use.

17. river

Not in the 1800s .

18. mathman Valued Senior Member

Who made that up? It is not in Genesis.

19. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

All the ghost photos Houdini investigated were "shopped" in the techniques of the day.

20. river

So .....

21. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

So photographic frauds aren't new, and those "giants" from the 1800s are a good example of this. You do understand that nobody ever produced the actual skeletons of giant humans for a proper scientific examination, don't you?

22. river

Oh they did , look at the news paper clipings at the time . There were many , many from different parts of the US .

The " proper " at that time was to send to the Smithonian , which they did but never heard from them again .

23. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

The Smitty probably hurt themselves laughing.