Possible Darwin Award...

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by mikenostic, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well, the kid pretty much caused his own death. So i that sense he deserved it.
    When you project our morals and sense of justice onto it, he didn't deserve it.

I agree.

Not in our justice system.. not that the tiger cared about that..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I would agree. And unless he had some sort of mental disorder, anyone who's 17 certainly has that ability. (And being stupid doesn't count as a mental disorder.)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yes, they did. And that's another thing that' being investigated - there are questions about how quickly (or not) the zoo responded to the situation.

In all fairness, those guns and darts are kept under lock and key for obvious reasons - so that is another issue that has to be resolved: were they "readily" available and were the attendants told where they were, how to get access and were they trained in their use?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

zoo personnel had access to darts. The cops, who shot the tiger, didn't.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm another question that comes to mind is, why are those reasons obvious ?
    I mean, the real guns weren't kept under lock and key..
    Those police men, if they worked in the zoo (what else were they doing there ?), should have been equipped with tranquilizer guns in stead of real ones.

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Because the drugs are controlled substances - and because they ca be used with the spring-loaded guns to kill people.

No, the cops weren't already there - they were sent in response to the 911 call. A few paramedics arrived first but refused to go in because the tiger was still loose. Some of them did, though, and the rest went in after the cops arrived and one shot the tiger.

There seems to be a considerable amount of confusion around concerning this whole event. And part of that is due to new information becoming available. Apparently, some folks read the original reports and haven't bothered to keep up with the story since then. And I don't mean you, just talking about the public in general. It just seems that once some folks hear the initial news they form their opinion based on what was said then - and that's the end of it for them.

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Hence the Darwin award.

If the kid taunted the Tiger then I kind of feel more sorry for the Tiger. I used to work at a zoological park doing part time nutritional research on Sloth bears and some primates. I was about 20 and I got caught playing around with the primates so I had to quit that project. As for the bears - no way man. Those creatures are savage. Savage. The first time I walked past a row of polar bears in the back sleeping cage - I about shit myself. Imagine being sandwiched between two rows of bear cages and having a 1300lb 9 foot bear run full on and slam into the cage (which is about 2 foot from where you are) all while screaming, roaring, bloody death rage at not being able to kill and eat you.

That was scary.

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Sounds like a bear who has figured out how entertaining these bipeds can be on a slow day.

The Como Zoo in Saint Paul, MN, had a gorilla named Casey for a while. Once I saw a drunk harassing Casey by flipping his jacket at the bars (no glass). Casey reached up and caught the jacket. So they had a tug of war, Casey not breaking a sweat (holding on with one hand, reclining at ease) and the guy busting a gut trying to pull his jacket free. Finally the guy stood on the handrail and leaned back to get his legs into it - and Casey let go.

Damn funny. And nobody really cared that the guy hit hard on a stone floor - it's not fair that someone gets seriously hurt screwing around, but it's not unfair either. The kid didn't deserve to get mauled, but a tiger is going to be a tiger if it gets a chance. How'd it get out - they know yet ?

12. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

You know what I'm sick of? Know-it-alls who have to be "boss" by warning people away from things like playing with the animals.

13. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

Regardless of whether or not the kid was even throwing rocks.....you all know what tigers do in the wild right??? You also know they cant be domesticated right??! You can hold a tiger responsible for doing what he was designed to do....

Personally I would hold the zoo responsible if the tiger escaped and killed the kid.

If it was my kid that was mauled by the tiger I would be going for the zoo....not the tiger. Just because its your family member that was killed doesnt mean you get to chose whos at fault lol.

14. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

The idea that tigers cannot be domesticated comes from a cult that has called for the suicide of the human race. Fuck that.

15. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

lol go domesticate a tiger then.....see how that works out for ya.

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

I keep dogs, and it's amazing how stupid parents and children can be. Parents do not teach their children how to approach dogs, and I have had too many children run towards my mutts, waving their arms, shouting 'doggie!'

When this happens, I shout 'STOP!', and give the kids a quick firm lesson about running towards dogs they don't know, and shouting. I then give the parents a good bollocking too. If my dog barks, parents never admit their kid was in the wrong. If a dog bites, the press only ever report that one way. I've had kids try and throw firecrackers at my dogs before, and they were in the company of their parents.

There is danger with a domesticated animal, so if kids abuse a wild one, yes, they deserve the consequences.

Oh, btw, your use of the word 'ruthlessly' was rather dishonest and loading the question, wasn't it? Just argue the point without embellishment, it stops the debate from becoming excerpts from tabloid newspapers.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm if the cops had time to get there, why didn't the zoo-workers use a dart on the tiger in that time.. the whole thing stinks.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well.. I guess prison can have that effect.. People can go mental in prison, why not animals ?

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Uhm.. while this may all be true.. I don't see why parents should teach their kids to handle dogs just because you chose to own one..

20. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Then you have a lot to learn, don't you?

21. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

It has worked for a lot of people.

22. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Damned stupid "world of pure imagination" Disneyworld kind of thinking, anyway. "My child should be perfectly safe wandering around my neighbor's yard taking his stuff apart, getting into his shed, opening his animal's pens and throwing rocks at his animals. I say so, so the law should say so, and I don't have to have any brains and neither does my kid."

This is why eugenics laws get started.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Not really, maybe dog owners should just bring up their dogs so that they won't attack anybody..
    You can't expect everybody to teach their children to handle dogs or any other kind of pet. The owners are fully, yes FULLY, responsible when their pet attacks someone. Unless, of course, they were provoked.