Possible changes to the warning/ban system

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by James R, May 18, 2011.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Moderator note: I have split off phlogistician's and adoucette's complaints about my moderation of specific posts of theirs to a separate thread, here:

[thread=108161]Should moderation be applied equally to all posters - even theists?[/thread]

Please keep discussion in the current thread to the topic of the warning/ban system.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Randwolf:

Thankyou for a very helpful post. You obviously put a lot of time and effort into it. I'm sorry that there isn't more interest from the general membership in this topic.

From my point of view, this is a good summary.

The issue of the amount of discretion is a tricky one. Most of the time, I think the mods do a reasonable job with warnings and bans. So I can't see a pressing need to reduce the level of discretion. But nor would I like to see it increase much above where it's currently at.

I disagree with mandatory minimums and maximums for specific types of offences. In imposing sentences, I think it is more important for sanctions to take into account the posting history of the relevant user.

I completely disagree with idea that moderators should be prevented from posting in forums that they moderate. Our moderators are volunteers. The moderators for particular forums often moderate those forums because they have some level of expertise in the topic area of the forum. To prevent them from posting would be to remove a valuable contributor to a subforum.

I advocate a single set of site-wide rules. This is not, however, the topic of discussion in the current thread, except as the rules regard the implementation of the warning/ban system.

If possible, I'd like for all members to be able to view the infractions of all other members.

I advocate a system of infraction points where points expire over time. An alternative would be never to forgive and never to forget. In that case, infractions points would just mount until a certain total was reached, then permaban.

We don't have programmes to rehabilitate offenders. We have neither the time nor the will to attempt that. sciforums is not a reform centre. Members are expected to control themselves. If they cannot, they are not welcome here. Besides, how do you propose to rehabilitate your average internet troll? They have no desire to be rehabilitated. Quite the opposite.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

That is the thing James . I call it " Over analysis leads to paralysis. Committees are famous for that . Human production is extremely stifled by the indecision of comity. So ya trials can be good for getting down to nitty gritty but production levels fall . Business people say and we learn this in leadership training " Better to take the chance and do the right thing and ask forgiveness latter if it don't work out . There is always risk no matter what you do, if there isn't risk your not doing anything, your just talking about it.
    So what and why would I join a forum like this . What is the appeal ? For Me it is all about the potential for discovery . It is like watching the discovery channel , but you are in the show and not just an observer . I think it is the same appeal as it is for people that watch reality shows except you get to play and interact on personal levels . That makes the forum have value . I think as more people become aware of them selves and there environment they to will seek out knowledge silos like science forums . It is a great community even with all the personality defects . Hell that is what makes the world diversified. Can you imagine a world with perfect little robot people that all think and acted the same. One size does not fit all is my best solution , and how true is that ?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

set up a point system like debating christianity

with a system like this in place the Infraction points will mean something.(specially if you can't create a usergroup when you keep losing your points to infractions)

i think MPG is a reward for excellent posts..

8. Gustav Banned Banned

all individual ban privileges should be rescinded.
    bans will be executed by a committee consisting of the admins and supermods acting in complete consensus

give bells supermod status

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Amendment to the banning system:

"You shall not ban anyone for stating correctly another poster's weak state of mind."

10. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

Why can't everyone just be nice and civil to each other? This whole "ban" and "suspension" thingy? How about we just get rid of it and all promise to be nice?

11. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Because people were not put on earth to be 'nice'. :jason:

12. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

Actually. . . that's why we are here.