positive effects of WWI

Discussion in 'History' started by swdriver, Dec 13, 2005.

1. swdriver Registered Member

I need some positive effects of WWI.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Can anyone think of any? Also, if anybody has a good statistics site, I need pre- and post-WWI statistics on The USA or the world. Thanks a ton.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

I really can't see any good that came out of it:
    End of a stable government in Germany. Nope, that's not good, as it led to an unstable government that catapulted Germany into nazism.
    End of the Austro-Hungarian tolerant multiethnic nation. Nope, not that either, as it ended a testament to human tolerance of other ethnicities.
    Obliteration of the German economy. Nope, that's seriously bad, as it also led directly to hitler and the nazis.
    Fall of the Russian monarch? I guess that's not as bad as the other things, though it did lead to Communism, that's not nearly a bad as catapulting a nation into racism.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

hmmm...didn't it end some colonialism? Not sure anymore. I remember something about Germany and such having to give up some colonies because they couldn't afford to control them anymore because of the war. But it might have been another war, or another cause.

It's too vague in my head I'm afraid.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lord Insane Banned Banned

positive effects ????? ...... hmmmmmm
    New technology - tanks, zeppelins, poison gas , warplanes ,submarines ...... blood transfusions, gasmasks ... ?
    New spirit world wide - winning the war and make the krauts pay money to the french,british and americans ....prooving that America was going to be a SUPERPOWER ...
    Starting mass production in USA to meet the demands of the war ....opening up new markets in Europe for export ....
    Building a historical connection between the USA and the rest of the people that did not like the Krauts ... making it easier in WW2 to join the allies ....
    All the dead soldiers did not have to be paid salary and pensions ..... a healthy way to control overpopulation of the world ........

I am really sorry - but I am not sure there were any positive effects of WW1....

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  8. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Well, if you consider that WW1 devastated the military manpower of the British at the very moment when their empire became even larger (because they took over almost all the German territories) Then I suppose you could say it ended the British Empire probably 50 years before it would have ended. I wouldn't say that was a benefit to history, though--I daresay the British ran their bits of Africa a damn sight better than most of those former colonies are being run now...That might be un-PC as hell, but I'll stick with it--all you need to do is look at Zimbabwe to see what I mean. You've got a clinically insane black guy running the country and killing everyone who doesn't like him. Or look at Uganda with Milton Obote, or Idi Amin--raving nutters, bot of them, it's just a matter of degree.

9. mountainhare Banned Banned

I guess it means that 20th century history isn't a boring subject at school. "Oh cool, we're learning about war instead of the depression!!! W00T!!!"

I know that I shouldn't joke about it, but the question is damn stupid. Nothing good came out of WWI. It brought out the worst in everyone.

10. john smith Tongue in cheek Registered Senior Member

Thats probably very true, although it DID unite most other countries in Europe, to one 'goal', to hate and punish germany.Maybe not such a great thing after all....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Yes but they are safe so long as no oil company is allowed to find oil in those countries. :bugeye:

12. Xylene Valued Senior Member

That depends how you define the term safe in a country like Zimbabwe or Uganda, or an out-of-control continent like Africa in general.

13. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I should have been more clear - I was speaking of the rulers, not the people. Without oil as the true motive, US will not try regime change as it has in Iraq to get the oil contracts previously held by France and Russia.

Most of the 9/11 terrorists came from Saudi Arabia, but there was no need for regime change there, because Bush's friends already had all those oil contracts.

14. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I am weak on African and WWI history, but have the impression that US is now following the British "African pattern" in mid East / Iraq. I.e. Did the Brits not basically want the Germans out of Africa, to get control of the Congo wealth, or am I too much influenced by movie "African Queen" ?

15. River Ape Valued Senior Member

Positive effects of WWI ?
    Independence for Poland, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Albania . . . considered quite a good thing by quite a few people in the countries concerned.
    Arguably, you could also include Irish Free State in that list.

16. mountainhare Banned Banned

River Ape:
    Hmm, I never thought of that! Great point!

17. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

black adder

18. Xylene Valued Senior Member

The Congo was held by the Belgians, and it was where Joseph Conrad set the novella Heart of Darkness, chiefly because of the crap that was going on there in the early part of the 20th Century. In truth, it would be easier to find positive effects for WW2 than WW1. Ironic that the positive effects of WW1 (the freeing of the countries of Central Europe) was overshadowed by the Cold War 1946-91. Doubly ironic that the positive effects of WW2 (the freeing of the rest of the colonial states throughout the world) should also be overshadowed by the Cold War (in Asia) and hopeless levels of corruption in Africa.

19. Non-Logical-Idea-Guy Fat people can't smile. Registered Senior Member

it took out some of their troops so they had less men to make babies to fight in WWII?

20. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Wasn't there a baby boom after the war?