Portage County/Ravenna UFO chase 1966

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Dec 8, 2016.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

This could be a workable definition, but we'd need to be a bit specific about just who has to be reasonably certain. Your average alien-spaceship believer needs very little in order to be reasonably certain that any given light in the sky is not of natural or manmade origin. Skeptical investigators, on the other hand, tend to have a rather higher standard.

This is better, but the problem remains of who is required to evaluate the evidence. Is it enough to be merely "technically capable", or should we require a certain level of actual critical thinking and skepticism in evaluating the evidence?

Hynek himself started off his adventures with UFO reports as a fairly level-headed skeptic, but gradually shifted to a certain level of credulity as his base setting, from what I gather.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

For completeness, and because I don't recall whether I linked this earlier in the thread, I should acknowledge a major source for what I have written here.

Robert Sheaffer wrote about the case in his book, UFO Sightings, The Evidence. It's in Chapter 19, titled "A Flying Saucer named Floyd".

The chapter is available online here:

https://www.fichier-pdf.fr/2012/10/19/floyd/floyd.pdf

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.