Portage County/Ravenna UFO chase 1966

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You have a very low estimate of people's intelligence. One might even say contemptuous. You should get out more and ask people if they've ever noticed stars and planets in the sky before. They might surprise you.

Your little contrived Mars episode doesn't come close to what those police officers witnessed that night in Portage County. Which is why you had to enlist a meteor AND a sunlit metallic weather balloon in addition to the planet Venus to account for it. Noone buys that shit for minute. And it doesn't match the eyewitness accounts at all.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You're saying they mistook the planet Venus for an elliptical brilliant ufo that lit the ground beneath it with a cone-shaped beam and moved across the sky from east to south to north over a period of about an hour with police in pursuit. That WOULD be delusional. They'd have to be insane to make a mistake like that.

Q-reeus likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

I'll credit you with this much James - persistently sticking to the one theme.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Was this supposed sighting/s, before or after the release of the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You remember in that movie the famous cop car/s chasing the UFO's?
    [At least in that known fictional movie, the Aliens had sense to make an appearance, as opposed to their general flittering in and flittering out procedures for whatever reasons.

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

James has totally made up this idea that the later accounts are no good because they include details that weren't mentioned before. He likes to think these dumb hick cops are confusing their earlier memories with their later "false" memories of that night. Confused yet? Well get this. He also claims newspaper article and report details that are described in the second person are just made up by reporters and investigators and are not based on eyewitness testimony. He HAS to do this in order for his extraordinary claim of three celestial objects mistaken for one UFO to hold any water. It's what all debunkers do--cherry pick out of the accounts whatever conflicts with their explanation. It's called confirmation bias---twisting the evidence and editing the accounts to fit their own theory about what happened. They all graduated from the prestigious Quintanella School of Venusology..lol!

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

People, cops, pilots, astronauts, judges, MR, river or even myself are always prone to weird atmospheric/meteorological/astronomical events, illusions, delusions, victim of trickery, etc etc etc.
    The fact remains, that this simply is nothing more then a UFO, without any extraordinary evidence to support such extraordinary claims.
    But you already know that.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It was before. In fact, Spielberg based at least one scene from Close Encounters on this case. From memory, I think he talked to one of the witnesses.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Magical Realist:

This has nothing to do with people's intelligence.

I've had students in a class who weren't aware that the stars move at night, and that you can see different constellations at different times of year. Most people don't know that planets like Mars and Venus show phases like the Moon. Most people, in fact, have a hard time distinguishing planets from stars.

The point is, not many people are educated in astronomy. That's not a fault. And it's not a problem with their intelligence.

The beauty of my Mars episode is that it wasn't contrived at all! And you're angry precisely because it is close to what those police officers witnessed.

You speak for everybody, do you? Gee, I'm glad the world has a spokesman like you, Magical Realist, to decide what they all "buy" and stuff.

No matter how much you wish it didn't, it matches quite well.

I've already discussed all this previously. They didn't have to be insane. It's an understandable mistake given the circumstances.

No. I said no such thing. I've merely pointed out that later accounts do not completely match earlier accounts. In a number of instances, they flatly contradict them, in fact. I discussed a number of such points previously.

Memory is a reconstruction. It is not like a video recording. You obviously missed that point, which I have made several times.

That certainly can apply to some details, as I have demonstrated above. It should be uncontroversial that reporters inject their own impressions and assumptions into their reporting.

I have to do this because you're apparently unaware that memory isn't perfect, that people make mistakes, that journalists and eyewitnesses aren't perfect, etc. All common-sense stuff to most people, but apparently not to you.

I think I've treated the evidence fairly. You, on the other hand, have barely considered it.

There's that nervous "LOL" again. It means you're worried that you have no good arguments to make, doesn't it, Magical Realist?

12. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Yes MR this thread offers wonderful examples of confirmation bias.
    Don't you hate it when people twist evidence and accounts to fit their own theory about what happened.
    Alex

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Yes I do. That's why I keep pointing it out when James does it.

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Yeah..laughter has suddenly become an indication of nervousness in your weird little world..Brrr...

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

OK, thanks..... [There goes that line of inference, sunk

]

You appear to form your own definitions in your own mind, to suit your own preconceptions about what these UFO's are.
    All others [like James] are saying is that they are unidentified and remain UFO's.
    No extraordinary evidence has ever been conclusively given pointing to any specific possibility.
    You on the other hand are ignorantly dismissing any and all possibilities, other then Aliens and/or inter-dimensional, Time travellers.

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Really? Where did I form my own definitions in my own mind? Quote it..

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yes really, and by claiming someone that claims a UFO is a UFO as having confirmation bias, when your own obvious inferences and hidden claims, point to that definition.

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Quote where I formed a definition in my own mind. Quote it or admit you're lying. I'm still waiting...

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

To clarify what Paddoboy said (since you are glossing over a very important word)
    Appear... appear to

This would make sense in context of a superior argument supported by superior evidence, rather than supposition and an empty hand.

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Then quote where I appeared to form a definition in my own mind. Quote it or admit to lying.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Actually it was a response to a satirical comment I made. LOL is often used as an indication of a joke.