Port Opener

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by r0ntu208, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r0ntu208 Registered Member

Hey everyone, I'm new here...

So I need a Port Opener for my computer, to open ports on my computer because I can't download some things.

So, does anyone know any good ones? I wouldn't have asked, but I didn't find any on google.

Thanks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DCLXVI Bloody Bastard Registered Senior Member

Say what?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Don't touch him, DCLXVI, it may be contageous.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd say a good corkscrew would open a bottle of port wine handily, but remove the port from your PC first!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. r0ntu208 Registered Member

what does that supposed to mean?
    ---------------------------------

port opener....

it is a program that opens ports without touching your firewall...

so anyone knows one?

9. Aborted_Fetus Bored Registered Senior Member

LOL...Port opener...What a joke.

How about you just open the ports you need in your firewall and/or set up port forwarding in your router?

Try
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/311666.html
    if you must be a n00b.

10. r0ntu208 Registered Member

N00b u frekin kiddin me? I just came here peacefully to ask if someone of u know any good port openers, im not the n00b, ur the n00bs because u were all acting like idiots and not helping me!

And to the mods, u saw me just asking nicely if anyone knows any good port openers, they were the ones started calling me names and acting childish!

I wanted to become a regular member here, but now this is my last post.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2005
  11. Aborted_Fetus Bored Registered Senior Member

How about you read my entire post before running your mouth like a complete moron.

First of all, I did help you. I gave you a link to a port opener.

Second, I said "IF you must be a n00b." Using a port opener is for n00bs. Period. If you know anything about computers, you would know that opening a port in your firewall is VERY simple and it is rediculous to install a seperate program that takes up resources to open a port.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

This new generation of computer idiots amazes me. I mean, they teach something at schools these days, no?

13. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Lol, that's funny.

14. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

When they call you a n00b and "computer idiot" they actually mean "welcome to Sciforums, friend". And what seems like elitist wank is actually something else...

15. vslayer Registered Senior Member

no, we are currently doing html, yet i added a popup saying "virus detected, shutdown imminent" to my work before putting it on the network for those n00bs, and most of them fetched the teacher after reading it

16. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

I'm in Yr 10 (14-16 yr olds), and we're still on Excel. And boring crap on OSs. Half of it is probably wrong. Stupid teachers.

17. malkiri Registered Senior Member

Lots of harsh words for someone whose only fault was a lack of knowledge. His question was well-stated despite being misinformed and showed none of the annoyances in that comic.

I'm sure none of you ever had any misconceptions about how networking works. But go ahead and and post non-constructive posts if it makes you feel better about your own '1337'-ness.

18. malkiri Registered Senior Member

I'll take my own advice and add some real information, though it seems unlikely he's returning.

The element on which ports need to be opened is the firewall, which is a piece of software or hardware that sits between your side of a network connection and the remote side. In WinXP SP2, you have a software firewall enabled by default. If you have a cable internet connection, you probably have a home router as well, most of which provide hardware firewall services. On the other hand, if you're on a college campus, the firewall is probably a dedicated machine sitting somewhere in the network operation center. In any case, these firewalls will reject attempts to connect to your computer on a range of ports. Part of the reason for this behavior is to discourage various attacks on applications that listen on certain ports. By default, I believe most firewalls will block ports above 1024 and a certain number of ports below 1024. I imagine you want to use a BitTorrent application, since it loosely requires you to open certain ports. Opening those ports will allow other computers to initiate connections to yours and allow the BitTorrent application to do its thing.
    The answer to your actual question depends on your situation. If you're on a campus that's blocking those ports, there's not much you can do about it. If the WinXP firewall is what's blocking ports, you can add an exception for the appropriate ports under your control panel. If you have a home router, almost all of them have a method for configuring them. In this case, you'll want to look for information in your router's documentation on port forwarding, a related but slightly different topic due to the fact that it allows you to share one connection among several computers.

19. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Perhaps it was just the way I read the original post, however Everyone seems to think that "A Port Opener" is some H4X0r's trick. Quite simply If you find that a port is being blocked on your ISP or you are having problems with a program using a restricted port, you would most likely use a forwarding program.

There are programs that can do it for instance taking port 80 and moving it's requests to port 8080, however the problem is the machine you are connecting to at the other end has to know that you are connecting via a different port.

You can run a port proxy program like the ones found over at www.analogx.com, which is useful for "tunneling" ports through one computer to another.

20. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i just set up all my prgrams to run through port 22, it works fine.

yea, im supposed to be in yr11, but i got put up to year 12 for computing thanks to my weekend courses in programming

21. r0ntu208 Registered Member

thx, stryder and malkiri, at least u helped me....

oh yeah that cartoon is "very fo shizzle"....omg wtf does that has to do with anything, im not cocky, i know about computer maybe more than someone else maybe less than someone else

i dont want to get in a long arguement, becuase ill probably get banned, but u know, if u know more about computer it doesnt mean that u should make fun of them, i wont pretend that im "1337" in computers, and btw ur the idiot...

have a nice day

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  22. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I've been fighting with SSH tunneling the past few weeks, trying to get VNC to tunnel through 22, the only open port on the work network I'm allowed to use unrestricted.

I learned to program Basic on an Apple IIe while growing up; in 9th grade, my comp sci teacher had me teach the class while she got lunch

school can be very dumb.

23. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

And wasn't that a waste of time...
    True. It does have some slight application towards progressing to other computer languages, but the vast majority of teachers were morons who hardly knew how to turn the computer on let alone teach you what good basic was for.
    How many times can you type out:
    5 print "Fuck you ";
    10 goto 5​
    Before you get bored and go back to a game of Lords of Conquest or Zork?
    Ahh. Zork....

Anyway. The best thing that my teachers could have done was made copies of the Red Book that came with the damn thing and let the kids play with the assembly language. Now that would have actually meant something 20 years down the road. And it was all right there. I had no idea what it meant when a game locked up and sent me into that endless list of numbers.
    Imagine. That was the raw power of the Apple II and it was all fucking WASTED!!!
    Pisses me off.

I found an Apple assembly tutorial on the web a few years back and went through it on an Apple emulator. My god, the potential for education there is staggering.
    Stupid-ass school system.
    My appleworks training really came in handy... (We only went through the same workbook like 3 or 4 times as the teachers had nothing else to teach.)

Christ. I'm ranting.

On topic:
    Port openers are stupid. Configure your firewall. Give information on your situation for more specific help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.