POLL: Greek Debt Default?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Michael, Feb 23, 2010.

?

Will Greece default on their debt?

1. Yes - the Greeks will default.

42.1%
  2. No - the Greeks will not default.

57.9%
  1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

This is one of those polls that shouldn't take all that long to find out the answer to.

Will the Greeks default on their debt?

I know less than a little about economics so it's pretty much just a pie in the sky guess for me.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Will this article find sympathy with Greeks?

OR do we go with the players poised to make the most?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

Greeks will not default - there is plenty of funds to go around, but their economy will not improve for a long time due to misapplication of their economy in the age of globalization.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. River Ape Valued Senior Member

There will be great pressure to stop a default because sovereign debt defaults, like bust banks, are contageous. If Greek debt goes down the pan, who is next? Spain? Portugal? Italy? So in the short run, the Greeks will be rescued even if they cannot help themselves, though the Germans and others will try to give them a good kicking. In the longer run, a worldwide outbreak of hyperinflation from which the Euro cannot escape may remove the problem. Your €1000 Greek bond will be repaid in full, and you will be able to spend it on a cup of coffee!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. kmguru Staff Member

I just got an email from my Greek friend - the gist is that, people are rich, government is broke, because few people pay taxes.

The stores are full, Restaurants are full and so on....

Unlike in the USA, where even WalMart, very few checkers, isles are bare, monthly use items are no longer available. Reminds me of the dark days of K-Mart.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I believe that other countries will help them.

10. kmguru Staff Member

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Bailout time! 'Cause we all know bailouts are good

12. kmguru Staff Member

On Greek, it is not really a big deal...the economy is good. They just need to collect the taxes due...

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

They're in debt.....taxes are the worst thing you can do for th economy.

They need to quit borrowing and spending. Then they wouldn't be in debt.

14. kmguru Staff Member

No, if people are evading the Taxes...they must be collected to pay off the government debt.

Besides, Greek GDP is rising on a steep curve

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

So the government is irresponsible and the Greeks have to pay for it? That's pretty stupid.

How about the politicians pay it off, themselves? All billions of it. They're the ones that chose to spend.

16. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Who voted for those idiot politicians.

17. kmguru Staff Member

The People

18. desi Valued Senior Member

Can they default when they use the same currency as the other Euro nations?

19. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Nonsense. "The people" is a vague and meaningless term in politics.

20. River Ape Valued Senior Member

The Greeks are an international people in a way Americans and others barely understand. If your business, home, family, job, bank account, investments, whatever, are all in one country, the Government finds it fairly easy to plunder your wealth by taxation. Greek family wealth is strangely elusive and might be in Athens one moment, and Melbourne or London or Nicosia or Chicago the next. (I used to have a safe deposit in a vault in London; they had an awful lot of Greek and Jewish clients.)

The concept of freely admitting to more income or wealth than someone else can prove can barely be grasped by the Greek mind. Having your money taken from you seems like being mugged. You put up a fight; you resent it; you are not going to let it happen again. Anyone who thinks collecting taxes from Greeks, especially rich Greeks, will be easy/possible needs to think again. (Why do so many American Greeks live in Chicago? They think it's still bandit territory!

)

21. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Yes. if they do not pay bonds when full payment is due or even when an interest payment is due, prior to maturity date.

22. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

And yet they expect their government to provide them with all these services - financed by Germans who do pay their due? Now they're talking about WWII compensation?? World War II????

Please

23. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

even more funny, there are many voices in greece that demand a boycott of german products. fortunatly, it wouldn´t do any harm ... only 0,8% of german exports go actually to greece.
    i get the feeling they want to blame somebody else for their very own mistakes.