Politics Subforum: Reading Suggestions

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by hypewaders, Nov 9, 2009.

1. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

This thread is an example- not a bad example, just an example of something that comes up from time to time:

A contributor offers a book for discussion with a new thread.

I'm inclined to create a sticky thread in the /world/politics subforum for the purpose of book suggestions, that allows for short discussions that spin off into new threads when there is expressed interest.

Does this appeal to anyone?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Yah, a good book Ive been reading is caleld the Brotherhood of war, it focuses on what the life of the soldiers are like rather than the actual battles.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

So would you like a place designated for posting political reading suggestions fedr808?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I think the idea has merit, but has one major shortcoming.
    It would be pretty impossible to keep up with all the disparate conversations all going on on one thread.
    I think maybe a subforum within this forum would be a better format to achieve what you are aiming for.

8. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

My idea is to make it clear at the top of a Reading Suggestions thread (and through periodic moderating of the Reading Suggestions Thread) that the specific purpose is the introduction of interesting books & such pertaining to politics. Any substantive discussions emerging there would be "invited" to commence a dedicated thread for discussion a particular book or other media being offered for consideration. It's just a way to filter threads about books so that there is more discussion. I'm hoping by having reading suggestions posted in one location, it will be more likely that we get together to discuss a book here.

We've had success IMO with a series of threads that have fulfilled a similar purpose: see Political Cartoons.

An un-anchored book suggestion and appeal for discussion can wither before many members have the opportunity to read what's offered. But if there's a more durable reading list (refreshed from time to time) maybe more people will read up and discuss.

OK, Thanks. I went ahead and posted a Reading List thread in Politics, as a test.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009