pole for linux

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by dexter, Feb 26, 2001.

?

???

1. windows/dos, all ver. such as 95, NT 200 98....

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Red Hat linux

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. mandrake linux

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. suse linux

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. 'other linux'

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Free bsd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. macantosh

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. BEos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

hello, just to make this thread operational and diverting some trafic to it, i decided to make a pole.

what operating system and distrobution of linux does everyone use???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

gee...i happen to use 4 of those

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

mac,windows,freebsd and mandrake

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

ya

well, i use most of them too.... i use all windows distro's, mandrake, i have bsd, dont accually use it too much, but i ahve it on a hardrive, i mainly use red hat 7.0 and whenever i go to circut city i use macantosh, i am anting to get a mac. i really like them, not as much as linux, but the sure as hell beat winblows

-dexter

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Hey, great to hear you're interested in the Mac. Now's a great time to get into the platform, with the imminent release of OS X. I imagine it's UNIX foundation should appeal to you. People are already running X Windows alongside Aqua (which, btw, is absolutely a pleasure to use). It's only a matter of time untill someone gets KDE or Gnome running on OS X, but who wants those when they've got Aqua??

8. Rop Registered Member

Well as linux goes i have been using SuSE for almost 2 years. Tried most distro's in the market till i finally settled for SuSE.

I also use FreeBSD and Win2k.

On the aqua subject i just hope they do a port to x86 so i might try it. But till then and knowing how apple thinks they wont..

just my thoughts..

Rop

9. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Well, with OS X, Apple finally has a viable exit strategy off the powerpc platform (that is, through OS X's Cocoa API which is based on the NextStep API which was, of course, a cross-platform API). Given how poor the PowerPC progress has been over the last 3 years, I'd say it's reasonably likely that we'll see an x86 version of OS X at some point. The PowerPC makers simply can't throw the kind of money at R&D that Intel and AMD are.

10. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

i really wanna try that out, i have only heard good things bout it. though i dont think i can ever be ripped away from linux, unless a new super OS was writen, that gave me control over everyone and allowed tme to pronounce myself god of the computing world. but till then i am sticking with linux, and i am buying a new computer. its gonna be one fast son of a bitch,

256 megs of ram, AMD athalon 1ghz procesor, the new gigabyte 7xd, 30 gig HD its gopnna be sweet, and it will be better than my computer now ( celeron procesor, 64 megs of ram 30 gig. e-machines mother board)
    if anyone wants to contribute money to me getting a mac, i would more than happy to accept it

-dexter

11. AUSSIEABORIGINAL Abnormally original Registered Senior Member

HELL, I DUNNO

Well,
    I voted for red hat linux. Why....I Dunno. Well, okokokokkok, so it had the "hat", which I like, it was red, my favorite color.....hmmm??? And besides, I always thought that linus was pretty cool!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.