Plastic Dials - What are they?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by invert_nexus, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I've always seen little dials stamped inside the cases of stereo's and other electronic devices. The one I'm looking at right now is stamped inside the front bezel on my laptop lcd screen. It's got 5 dials.
    The first goes from 01 to 06 with an arrow pointing between 01 and 06.
    The second is 1 to 12 pointing to 3.
    the third is 0 to 3 pointing to 0.
    the fourth is 0 to 9 pointing to 2.
    the fifth (after a space) is 0 to 9 pointing to 1.

I always guessed these were factory specs for certain adjustable parts in the board, but I don't think there's any adjustable little bits on the lcd board. I'm probably wrong about that though.

Wasn't sure where to post this, this is technology section so I put here rather than computers.

Anyone know what's up with this?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

As a kid always opening my parents electronics, I always thought they were variable resistors. Those dials and those cubes with a colored screw slot inside. I'd turn them to see what they did but they never seemed to do anything. Probably just shortened the life of their appliances.

I too look forward to hearing from someone who knows.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

This is an artifact of thermoplastic injection molding technology. The aluminum or steel mold used to make the plastic part has a dial on it, so parts can be marked with different numbers. This helps with identification of the parts, so they can track batches, or injection runs, or different plastic formulas.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

so it's all to do with plastic and not electronics, thanks for the answer.

8. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

Oh, in the mold? Well, I missed the point. I was reading on the board. Words that weren't there. So spider, do you know what those things are that I was referring to?

9. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I used to think the dials on the mold refered to the cubes you're talking about. That's why I was confused as to why they would be on my lcd since there are none.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You mean like this?

They have a number of uses, date stamps, temperature stamps, reference marks, and recycling indicators.

If you are really interested go to products, accessories, tracebility...

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Those are they. You know, come to think of it, I think I've seen those on the bottom of cardboard boxes as well. I think I even reasoned out that they were for dates, etc... I just never connected that with these at the time, and had forgot about the whole thing since. How you know about this anyway? You in manufacturing?

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Sort of, I don't do injection molding, but I'm familiar with the process. I sculpt prototype products for my company, which also makes limited runs of injection molded parts.

13. Charon Registered Member

Day, month, Year,Hour, and sometimes minutes.....of the production, of the product.

Information for the company records, as well as for consumer warranty claims, ect........

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.