planets moving closer to the sun?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Datura, Apr 11, 2004.

1. tachyonSoup Registered Member

Janus58,

You seem very knowledgeable on this subject. I'm interested in knowing more. Can you tell me where you are getting your information or any resources on the same subject?

thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Really? When will that be, I might live there

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ivec89 Registered Member

I had this thought today, seeing how it is Feb. and it was 60'F outside ahah
    So i came up with this idea, our planet is moving closer to the sun why?
    I think and btw I am not a Scientist but I was thinking of all the reasons global climate could change, and i began thinking about Oil and Gas an how i was driving and i was using gas. Now i know about conservation of mass but i was thinking wow gas in a liquid form is much more condensed and contained, where as once it is is com busted out my tail pipe it is a gas that freely moves wherever. So i guess my theory is that the earth is getting lighter and moving closer to the sun. Because as we know we use millions of gallons of oil, and have been for a long time and it is not a renewable resource so not much more is being produced. So i was thinking that all this oil we've been using added up over the years must weigh a LOT, and to think we converted a lot of it into gas, and gas into the atmosphere where it just chills out and could be leaking into space leaving earth all together. My point any way is that all this carbon based oil has weight that accumulated over millions of years and were using it up rather quickly. and the carbon in the air is just out there, and until plants fix that carbon into a solid state of mass, would the earth not weigh less? Idk is this crazy or does anyone understand what im getting at, or can you disprove m though jw Thanks for reading to anyone who made it to the end of my ramble, look forward to possible answers! or if you would like to hear more just ask...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xotica Everyday I’m Shufflin Registered Senior Member

A tangent... the Solar Habitable Zone (SHZ) shifts further outward as the sun ages.

8. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

The earth is increasing mass to the tune of 40k tons of space dust per year and is losing gases like helium and hydrogen by some tonnage a year (unsure now of figures but see NASA web site).

9. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

There are quite a few things wrong with this, but let's just focus on. Even if the Earth lost mass at the same as we used oil, and we had been using oil at the rate we are today for the last century, we would have lightened the world by 1.2 x 10^11 kg.

Now this might seem like a lot, but the entire mass of the Earth is 6 x 10^24 kg or 5 x 10^13 times more. To give you an idea of the difference, it is like comparing the mass of one grain of pollen to the mass of 5 average people. IOW, insignificant.