Planetary Stretch Marks: More Evidence For Expansion Tectonics

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by OilIsMastery, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Right. Linking to others works doesn't equate to those works supporting you.

You actually have to show that they do and Trippy debunked your fallacious attempt to utilize quote-mined and misrepresented work as supporting a crackpot claim.

So, all you've done is show yourself to be a liar. Again.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Oh right, so your lambasting Skinwalker for ignoring a post that was addressed to me, which I thoroughly addressed, and demonstrated how you were blatantly lying?

Are you really sure you want to bring that back up?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

What I think is really funny about this is that on the same page, the same Author says this:

He's saying that there is no evidence of plate tectonics as we recognize it, because the heat (and pressure) at the surface are enough to soften the lithosphere, so you get evenly distributed features, instead of the lithosphere breaking up.

So, OIM's own source contradicts him and shows how he's lying.

(Incidentally, this is precisely the point I have raised previously discussing tectonics and geology on Venus).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

What I think is really funny is you totally ignore everything else I posted to fucus on the only parts that comply with your primitive 20th century religion.

8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Liar.

As far as I can recall, in this thread, I have addressed the original post, every post that you have directed to, and by far the vast majority of links that you have included in posts addressed to me.

if there's a post in this thread that you think I should have addressed, then provide a link to it, and an explanation why you think I should have addressed it, and i'll consider it.

Back up your accusations with rational justifications, or quit yer griping.

9. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

What part of "There is no evidence for plate tectonics on Venus; no mid-ocean rifts, no subduction trenches" don't you understand?

10. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Trippy mentioned nothing about religion... what are you on about? Moreover, you've not said a word that is supportive; you've failed to support many wild, speculative and outright bullshit claims; you rely on nutbars and crackpots and cherry-pick scientific documents and texts, taking their words completely out of context.

Before anyone can even begin to take you seriously, you would first need to reconcile these problems in the presentation of your weak and failing attempt at discourse and either 1) publicly apologize, show some humility and ask for some help in learning to present your opinions and how to go about learning some critical thinking skills; or 2) go away with your tail between your legs.

I'm betting, however, that you'll choose option 3), which is to continue on in a state of delusion pretending that no one has uttered a single word that is successfully critical of your nutty claims.

For those interested, I updated my earlier post in this thread where OIM dishonestly quote-mines a science magazine, omitting data and information that is contradictory to his nutty claim(s).

11. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Trippy, this is both a straw man and a red herring.

OIM is attempting to deflect his exposure as a liar and a cheat.

@OIM, you should first correct your previous failings in this thread before requiring others to move on to new arguments. By going to new arguments, are you conceding that you've engaged in deceptive and amoral presentation of your weak and failed attempt at discourse?

12. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

OIM began this thread by claiming that the two photos below were "stretch marks." Nothing in OIM's posts have presented evidence of this claim and he has engaged in pseudoscientific, intellectually dishonest, and deceptive tactics to pursue an extraordinary but nutty claim.

As already shown by the very article you presented as supporting evidence, these aren't marks caused by uniform or homogeneous planetary expansion but by either impact or localized volcanic activity over 3 billion years ago.

And I debunked the claim that this photo was "stretch marks" in this post in which I cited peer-reviewed sources that mathematically demonstrate the physics involved in creating the concentric rings of grabens by impact.

To conclude, OIM has shown no evidence of "planetary expansion" versus normal tectonic activity either in formative stages of the planetary body or later volcanic/impact events.

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Skinwalker is correct, this is both a strawman and a red herring.

I understand the quote, but unlike you, I understand the quote in the context of the article.

You have completely missed what the article is saying.

The surface conditions on venus are 700k, 9MPa

On Earth, this is the equivalent of a depth of about 30 km, at this depth, the earth is capable of plastic flow, under appropriate stress/strain regimes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What the article is saying, is that tectonics as we know it requires a thin brittle crust, but venus has a thick, plastic crust, so no tectonics is observed, nut we do, however observe evidence of mantle circulation, either active, or in the past.

14. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

A question is not a straw man argument.

15. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

We've already had this discussion as well. A question can be a strawman argument.

16. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

A question cannot be considered an argument.

17. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

You've obviously never studied debating or philosophy.

I've already demonstrated how every question has an associated implied statement, and that implied statement is based one a falsehood or fallacy, then the qiestion must also be a falsehood or fallacy.

Equally, in your case, your question questions something that resembles, but is not my argument, therefore meets the criteria of a strawman.

18. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

Hey, Trippy, have you stopped winning this debate yet?

19. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

You truly are ignorant. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but making ignorant statements like this after you've already been corrected only serves to further the ignorance.

But lets humor you: why can't a question be an argument?

20. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Apparently not.

21. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Acording to Webster's, an "argument" is "a reason given in a proof or rebuttle" or "a coherent series of statements leading from a premise to a conclusion." A question is neither of those. A question is "an act of asking."

22. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Well, i will say this much all exspansion and contraction that occurs in the solar system is a result of cosmological motion.

Most motion of contraction or exspansion within our solar is a direct result of our local group of stars, those stars which are our closest neighbors.

If you have small regions on planetary bodies that appear as exspansions or contractions the most likly cause would be the effect of a Red Dwarf Star for example Barnards Star. this does not rule out events of asteroid strikes ect...

Our star the sun is traveling through the Galaxy with other stars, stars that exist within our local group of stars have different velocities over time the gravitional compression of or local group changes and so compression within the solar system changes. Sudden chnages result in features of sharp contrast.

Also you should take the time to reflext on the fact that asteroid strikes are correlated to gravitonal interaction of stars with a given body or solar system. This conpounds the ablltiy to directly identify the surface feature, as either asteroid, collison, or gravitional effect of a given star.

DwayneD.L.Rabon

23. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Rabon, you don't even have a clue!!! All of those things - except direct strikes by asteriods, meteorites - are WAY to distant to affect anything!!

(Just more Rabon garbage from Rabon The Garbage Man (kid).):bugeye:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.